• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about consolidating my watch collection, I have a few that I’ve bought over the years and are similar to (but not quite as nice as) others in my collection. The idea would be a three watch collection, Monaco, 16600 Sea Dweller and a third watch. It would need to work with a suit and casual outfits, be slim enough to slip under a cuff easily (the other two are fairly thick) and provide something different to the other two sport watches. Don’t mind if it’s gold or steel.

I’m not saying I’ll actually do it, but people’s ideas would be interesting. Budget would probably be up to £7k or so, but could be more for something special.

The JLC MUT Moon could be nice, its a tad on the dressy side, but I think if you bought a brown strap to swap in and out it could certainly lean more casual

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JLC MUT Moon could be nice, its a tad on the dressy side, but I think if you bought a brown strap to swap in and out it could certainly lean more casual

They make a blue dial stainless steel variant too which looks pretty casual if you throw it on blue suede. Although let's face it, we are all super delusional if we think anyone cares.

p2.jpg

pmeis

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso?

I'm thinking of getting one for my engagement and would be interested in getting an owner's opinion, and possibly photos. I currently own a Rolex Explorer (214270) which I love and wear daily, but if I'm going to get another watch I'm thinking of something more formal and classic.

I’ve thought about consolidating my watch collection, I have a few that I’ve bought over the years and are similar to (but not quite as nice as) others in my collection. The idea would be a three watch collection, Monaco, 16600 Sea Dweller and a third watch. It would need to work with a suit and casual outfits, be slim enough to slip under a cuff easily (the other two are fairly thick) and provide something different to the other two sport watches. Don’t mind if it’s gold or steel.

I’m not saying I’ll actually do it, but people’s ideas would be interesting. Budget would probably be up to £7k or so, but could be more for something special.

My answer is the same for both. whichever Santos combo suits you the best.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Some manner of Reverso, if it sits well on your wrist, would be my #1 choice for this.

2) I don't know that I would go vintage personally, but if that appeals to you there are a couple of really solid choices (I think) that would fit this spot). First, vintage Datejusts and Daydates have someone seemingly been overlooked by the hordes of people bidding up Rolex. You can snag a vintage DJ for under $5k and I've seen good examples of vintage DD for under $8k (on leather). Either of these would fit the role nicely. Also, there are a ton of great examples of vintage gold watches (I've seen a lot of nice IWC's for example) for around $5k.

3) Blancpain Villeret can be had 2nd hand in your price range. I think this is a pretty sweet choice that isn't a "forum favorite" kind of watch. If that's too dressy then....

4) Something like an Omega AT or the IWC that @George Red has on leather. The tough criteron here is working with both a suit and casual outfit, but I think these two (and many others) fit that bill.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@George Red Love the Reverso shots. I didn't realize you had the duoface version. I've only noticed you posting photos of the white face. In looking at the JLC website, looks like the moon phase only comes in duoface...? Very cool. Also, your photo really shows the texture of the dial which is not evident on the marketing photos on JLC's website.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone own a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso?

I'm thinking of getting one for my engagement and would be interested in getting an owner's opinion, and possibly photos. I currently own a Rolex Explorer (214270) which I love and wear daily, but if I'm going to get another watch I'm thinking of something more formal and classic.
12ED1880-82B7-4B2D-B546-F887EE065F81.jpeg

80A18C5C-E38D-44CA-A058-E977BF1258F1.jpeg

i love mine. It’s subtle, but if you get the duo face you can have a bit of a formality change for evening.
I’m probably going to get a steel one down the road. Maybe my 40th?

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well below your budget but I have become smitten by this Oris limited edition James Morrison.
1623682252465.png

I believe it could dress up or down... to a point. I am seriously considering it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex makes about 1 million watches a year, right? Is there any loose breakdown of how many per model?

It’s really gotta be a good number of GMTs and Daytonas made per year in comparison to Patek’s 50K or ALS’s 5K total output

Rolex has never disclosed production numbers for individual models. Only Rolex knows how many GMTs or Daytonas are produced each year.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally have something to post, it’s the first watch I’ve ever bought for myself and the third watch in my collection (already own two hand me down Tudors). Originally had my eye on the Black Bay Chrono but quickly realized it would be too big on my six inch wrist. So, went for this instead.

Congrats, I've had my Santos for nearly 2 years and I love it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :cheers:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex has never disclosed production numbers for individual models. Only Rolex knows how many GMTs or Daytonas are produced each year.

True, and I understand its all hypothetical and hearsay...Just interesting to think of in regards to supply that if 5% of supposed 1m Rolexes manufactured per year were Daytonas, it would be roughly equivalent to all PP production for a year

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My 2 suggestions have already been mentioned...

A steel Cartier Santos. I've had mine almost 2 years and its very versatile, comes with strap and a metal bracelet and you can switch from one to the other in a matter of seconds. With it's curved case back and lugs it's very comfortable. It uses an inhouse movement, it's water resistant to 100m, anti-magnetic, and in the large size in steel you have a choice of a white dial, blue dial, steel and ADLC with a sort of gray dial, or all ADLC case (if you don't want a metal bracelet).

My other suggestion is one of the Reverso Tribute watches in steel. It's another classic design, and I hope to add one to my collection eventually. The only issue for some people is that the tribute watches are manual wind, and some people might not want to have to wind a watch on a daily basis.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide to do about that 3rd watch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lots of interesting options in that range. First things that come to mind are various Master Control models from JLC or a Rolex Datejust. The latter looks fantastic on a strap if you swap out the bracelet.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@George Red Love the Reverso shots. I didn't realize you had the duoface version. I've only noticed you posting photos of the white face. In looking at the JLC website, looks like the moon phase only comes in duoface...? Very cool. Also, your photo really shows the texture of the dial which is not evident on the marketing photos on JLC's website.
Yeah, man. This watch is absolute fire. I have the “Reverso Tribute Moon.” I think that’s the only one with a moon phase. I don’t think I’ve EVER used the other dial option. I just never liked it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads