• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those two, I prefer the GO mainly because I think it is beautifully balanced. On the IWC: I do not like gap-toothed dates at 6:00 at all, the highly blued numerals, and the red PR. So in IWC I far prefer the Portugieser (automatic, unless you really want a chronograph).

Dornblüth & Sohn also make many superb iterations of the marine watch, many complication combinations, various case materials, printed applied numerals, etc. All of them are beautiful.

web-99AuA-1-ST.png

Caliber 99 or Q-2010.2 up & down

Web-992-M-gr-ST.png

Caliber 99.2

Web-20109-gr-ST.png

Quintus 2010.9

web-994-1-ST.png

Caliber 99.4

web-995-1-RG.png
Caliber 99.5

The date on the GO is indeed better.

I prefer the applied and blue indices of the IWC though.

The Dornbluth watches look nice but I'm not particularly interested in a small brand, especially since it would more or less be impossible to see it before owning it.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That IWC is lovely. It's even better in person. If the larger case diameter doesn't bother you, go for it. If you want that but in a smaller, more manageable case diameter, then I recommend the new Portugieser 40 mm,

I looked at the Automatic as well and didn't find it quite as interesting.

I have one watch, a Snowflake, which wears quite small so the idea here is for a bit of contrast - a more substantial, weighty bit of steel.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% the GO. Finishing is generally a step up from IWC and they are available at very attractive prices used. If you go new, push for 25% - 35% off. You can use my super cheap indian dude method too and just blanket email 10 - 20 ADs. Just BCC them all and basically let them bid themselves down. This is how I got my ALS for wayyy below list and then profitably sold it when I got bored.
GO is a step above IWC... and once you go big date you won't go back...
Everyone that says GO is “a step above “IWC”… really? Come on.

In what sense is IWC behind GO (at least as regards the Portugieser and Senator lines)?

Reactions: RSS

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a longshot here but does anyone have hookups for Rolex AD in the US?

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We live in a tiny time-bubble where things appear solid and permanent, but then something comes across to remind that it is all fleeting in less than one human life. The double signed factory dials from Caracas 1960s.
Untitled.png

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what sense is IWC behind GO (at least as regards the Portugieser and Senator lines)?

No swan neck, no 21ct rotor, no big date, no off set weight on balance wheel. GO movement is better finished and is simply more beautiful.

In the end, IWC is mass produced brand with huge annual production numbers like Omegas, versus GO which is haute horology.

100-14-a.webp

IWC-Portugieser-Automatic-7-Day-7.jpg

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Watched a few trade show episodes from NY and FL. Watches? This **** ain't rare. Grey dealers have humongous stocks. They gobble up so many desirable watches that it is no wonder desirbales are doubling tripling in price, One hedge fund should come and corner the whole market. What does it take 20 mill 100 mil to make a monopoly?
IMHO, if you are buying anything other than big three at retail, you are giving money away.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched a few trade show episodes from NY and FL. Watches? This **** ain't rare. Grey dealers have humongous stocks. They gobble up so many desirable watches that it is no wonder desirbales are doubling tripling in price, One hedge fund should come and corner the whole market. What does it take 20 mill 100 mil to make a monopoly?
IMHO, if you are buying anything other than big three at retail, you are giving money away.
Somewhat of a narrow point of view. Some collectors, myself included, buy whatever we want and we prefer AD’s for warranty and authenticity purposes. I never look at a watch and think “oh, I’ll lose money on that.” I look at a watch and think, “do I love it?”

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of a narrow point of view. Some collectors, myself included, buy whatever we want and we prefer AD’s for warranty and authenticity purposes. I never look at a watch and think “oh, I’ll lose money on that.” I look at a watch and think, “do I love it?”

yeah, trying to rationalize cost doesn't make sense. I mean, step back for a second and realize you’re paying thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of $$$ for something that tells time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads