• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any love for gold reversos? i kind of like the idea

gold looks frankly amazing on my wrist fwiw, that would prob be the main consideration were i to pursue something like that
Nope. No love at all!
C80F4920-D98E-48E3-B2D6-7A7B7C51A7F6.jpeg
E42DD92B-5B09-4F9C-AD2C-5394AB9D1C2B.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the watches mentioned, if I was looking for a full gold I'd absolutely be considering this.

View attachment 1611779

It's beautiful...off wrist. Wears very large/uncomfortably on [my] wrist. Wish I could make this one an option, but just doesn't wear well. Same reason I can't get with the DD 40. It seems 40 and up just doesn't work well for me in the quasi-dress/sports watch domain (RO, OS, Naut, DD). Rolex GMT and Subs work fine because of the smaller dials and prevailing casual/sporty vibe relative to size? But looking for something under 40mm (or that wears well at 40mm...) in the not-quite-a-sports-watch space...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other issue is the one you’ve raised about the message the watch projects. I do care about what other people think. I don’t think everyone that would have issues with such an ostentatious and hackneyed symbol of wealth and status is an arsehole not worth caring about. The watch has associations with all manner of heinous dictators, crooks, finance bros and sociopaths. Of course it also has associations with presidents — but that all hangs in the balance. I find the attitude of not caring about what others think or what message you are projecting to be totally alien. Humans are social animals and choice of clothing is fundamentally a social activity. A lot of my enjoyment of these sorts of things is derived from that social element.

Cars, clothing, where you live, your furniture, a vacation home, a boat, even where one vacations and a variety of other things can project who you are. Life is too short to worry about whether things one works hard to have or experience are liked or not liked by others.

I certainly agree people are social. Contrary to what your writing suggests- people not worrying about what others think is not a sign of being antisocial or a hermit. Although, perhaps it does say something about the type of friends one chooses to have. If you are a good person, your friends don't generally care what watch you wear, car you drive, or where you live. If you are able to have a few nice things, if they even notice those things, they are happy for you. Even if it wouldn't be there taste, they don't have issues with you or choose not to be around you because you wear a gold Rolex, drive car X, or live in town Y. If one has friends like that, I question if they are truly friends.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cars, clothing, where you live, your furniture, a vacation home, a boat, even where one vacations and a variety of other things can project who you are. Life is too short to worry about whether things one works hard to have or experience are liked or not liked by others.

I certainly agree people are social. Contrary to what your writing suggests- people not worrying about what others think is not a sign of being antisocial or a hermit. Although, perhaps it does say something about the type of friends one chooses to have. If you are a good person, your friends don't generally care what watch you wear, car you drive, or where you live. If you have are able to have a few nice things, if they even notice those things, they are happy for you. Even if it wouldn't be there taste, they don't have issues with you or choose not to be around you because you wear a gold Rolex, drive car X, or live in town Y. If one has friends like that, I question if they are truly friends.

+1,000,000%

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The white gold Speedy is actually kinda sick. Very stealth bling. (Who cares about legibility?)

View attachment 1611761

But what is the point of an all-gold watch? If one just wants the feel of added weight, I suppose white gold is perfectly rational. But the way I look at it, the appeal of an all-gold watch is very much in that it looks all-gold.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what is the point of an all-gold watch? If one just wants the feel of added weight, I suppose white gold is perfectly rational. But the way I look at it, the appeal of an all-gold watch is very much in that it looks all-gold.
This ?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. True.
2. False.

Come on now. Finance guys are no worse dressed than any other job or profession.

If you do want to rely on stereotypes or cliches: jeezus, give me bankers over lawyers any day. Patagonia vests are a million times better than box-cut Jos A. Bank suits worn with short black socks and discount Allen Edmonds.

What about IT and engineering folks? Dear lord.

Come to think of it: is there any profession that dresses particularly well? I’m stumped.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on now. Finance guys are no worse dressed than any other job or profession.

If you do want to rely on stereotypes or cliches: jeezus, give me bankers over lawyers any day. Patagonia vests are a million times better than ill-fitting Jos A. Bank suits worn with short black socks and discount Allen Edmonds.

Nothing worse than the fleece or tech vest over a dress shirt...nothing!

Best dressed: Artists ftw!

haha!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh man those reversos are beautiful in gold

Come to think of it: is there any profession that dresses particularly well? I’m stumped.

lawrence halprin (land arch and planner) would end up somehow getting naked in most of his books ha. maybe he kept his watch on can't recall

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you do want to rely on stereotypes or cliches: jeezus, give me bankers over lawyers any day. Patagonia vests are a million times better than box-cut Jos A. Bank suits worn with short black socks and discount Allen Edmonds.

What about IT and engineering folks? Dear lord.

Even clothing designers don’t all dress well.

I work in finance, but the firm is owned by a law firm - there’s no real difference in how either dress TBH, both dress terribly.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about the fact that the DD is actually very beautiful? Is that not reason enough?

Oh wait.....I need to worry if others feel the same or maybe don't??

WTF :confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics