• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have thoughts on where you think the watch market is headed? After a year+ of a lot of recreational spending diverted to lux goods, combined with a lot of printed money and an S&P that just keeps roaring - is this the top of the watch craze, or do you think this will go on...(gmts going for 20k....daytonas for 40k...etc...)

I'm getting a fairly large tax refund this year, so I just went out browsing grey market sites for watches...Daytona's at one well-known site are sitting between $37-40k right now.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a fairly large tax refund this year, so I just went out browsing grey market sites for watches...Daytona's at one well-known site are sitting between $37-40k right now.

Right. That’s what I’m seeing too (and said as much...). Do you think it will persist (would you pay that type of premium?)?

I’m seeing many, many “hard to get pieces” on the grey. At some point the music stops for the dealer-to-dealer flipping that is driving these prices (retail buyers are not the target, it would seem to me. This seems like a game of chicken between wholesale sellers...)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. That’s what I’m seeing too (and said as much...). Do you think it will persist (would you pay that type of premium?)?

I’m seeing many, many “hard to get pieces” on the grey. At some point the music stops for the dealer-to-dealer flipping that is driving these prices (retail buyers are not the target, it would seem to me. This seems like a game of chicken between wholesale sellers...)

My mistake, I thought you were postulating that prices would go that high (it's been a while since I browsed obviously).

Personally, I think discretionary spending will continue to rise as long as the market is booming and the gov't is giving money away. At some point the music will stop and prices will normalize (but not go below MSRP).

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mistake, I thought you were postulating that prices would go that high (it's been a while since I browsed obviously).

Personally, I think discretionary spending will continue to rise as long as the market is booming and the gov't is giving money away. At some point the music will stop and prices will normalize (but not go below MSRP).

Right. I expect hype pieces to hold value, or command a premium, but this 2x, 3x **** is just stupid.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. I expect hype pieces to hold value, or command a premium, but this 2x, 3x **** is just stupid.

16710s from the 80s going for 15k? I mean, this is absurd...

That’s a 5k watch - 10k at the very, very most...good grief!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16710s from the 80s going for 15k? I mean, this is absurd...

That’s a 5k watch - 10k at the very, very most...good grief!
Similar to what's happening with used cars. New supply is severely constrained, so preowned prices go up pretty much across the board.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to what's happening with used cars. New supply is severely constrained, so preowned prices go up pretty much across the board.

Yep. But are used car dealers selling among themselves to drive up the prices further? I get the feeling that market is grounded more conventionally on supply and demand. There’s some weirder **** going on with the watch market. But yes to your point...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any watches other than SS sports Rolex/RO/Nautilus that are currently selling for well above MSRP? As others have mentioned, buyers, particularly ones getting into watches for the first time, are likely to substitute other brands when they can't get a Rolex, be it Tudor, Zenith, or Omega. Seems like a missed opportunity for Rolex to make customers for life.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. But are used car dealers selling among themselves to drive up the prices further? I get the feeling that market is grounded more conventionally on supply and demand. There’s some weirder **** going on with the watch market. But yes to your point...

afaik new car dealers are buying used cars to plump inventory so yes demand is competitive rn

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any watches other than SS sports Rolex/RO/Nautilus that are currently selling for well above MSRP? As others have mentioned, buyers, particularly ones getting into watches for the first time, are likely to substitute other brands when they can't get a Rolex, be it Tudor, Zenith, or Omega. Seems like a missed opportunity for Rolex to make customers for life.

Pre-covid, but I was BS’ing with an AD one day and he told me 90% of people who walked in trying to buy a SS Rolex walked out with nothing and didn’t even want to look at other brands.

pmeis

Reaction score

Rather than watches trading at a 2x or 3x premium, there do seem to be a few more watches, like the Zenith or some Tudors/Omegas, that are not losing value, which is kind of a new thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads