• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was just an easy visual for comparison. Look at the Cle or really most of the older designs and you'll see similar dial work with much more detail.

Also, the prive line is supposed to be a higher level of watchmaking and they have Seiko like dials on some of them. So perhaps not as unfair as you're making out.
Comparing Prive to CPCP is probably more fair than comparing a standard Tank Solo to a CPCP Tank LC.

I'm sure if you compare a current Tank LC to an older model Tank LC, the dials are pretty similar. Same if you start comparing the old vs new Santos.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing Prive to CPCP is probably more fair than comparing a standard Tank Solo to a CPCP Tank LC.

I'm sure if you compare a current Tank LC to an older model Tank LC, the dials are pretty similar. Same if you start comparing the old vs new Santos.

1620831752347.png

1620831804738.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the manual wind XL Santos Dumont model? I'm guessing the dressier Santos Dumonts have not been as popular.

Since the Cartier talk from a few weeks ago I've been looking at Tank Americaine's, Cintree's and Santos Dumont's online and instagram quite a bit lately.

I don't think the modern Santos Dumont XL/Manual is as popular as the Santos de Cartier, as it is seen as more of a dress watch, which makes it less versatile for a lot of people. As I mentioned a while ago, although some brands may be less affected by this, a friend at an AD for Breguet, Cartier, GP, Grand Seiko, Panerai etc (they used to have VC too), said dress watches especially gold one are tough to sell these days. He said most people want steel sports watches. Personally, I also like the flat bezel found on prior Santos Dumonts, or the Santos Dumont of the mid to late 2000s that had no bezel. The angled bezel of the current Santos Dumont isn't my favorite. Personally, I'd rather have a Cintree to a Santos Dumont.

I was surprised to find I liked the navy a lot more. The dial is beautiful, and IMO the large size is not too big (I think the dial is actually a bit smaller than my DJ). The bracelet system is clever. Very unique watcMy main concerns are
1) I noticed the difference between the highly polished bezel and the more brushed bracelet a few times
2) Durability (scratches) of the bezel
3) How versatile it is (can it go from dressy to casual) relative to a round watch

I have a week to make a decision

It wears nicely as the case and lugs are curved, so it really hugs the wrist.
1. As for the contrast of the bezel to the brushed surface of the bracelet, that is just part of the design of the Santos de Cartier. They have always had a polished bezel. However, even Rolex gives their DJs a contrasting finish, between a brushed case and a polished or fluted bezel. In the end, either you like the contrast of brushed and polished finish or you don't.
2. If you are rough on your watches and hate scratches, the bezel will scratch. Maybe it isn't for you. I'm pretty good with watches and usually wear mine with long sleeves. To date, nothing noticeable has happened to my bezel. I've seen some that are scratched up, but over time if it gets lots of scratches it will look less shiny. Or you could go with the steel and ADLC version although, that looks more sporty and is less versatile in my opinion.
3. Personally, I find it is very easy to wear casually. I wear mine with jeans all the time. I even added the rubber strap from an ADLC version, which further dresses it down. I would wear my Santos with any clothes or for any occasion that I would wear a DJ.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/OBO8Gx9l.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/99rH7zql.jpg[/img]']

I have a huge affinity for Cartier, but I think the dials on their current line up are a far cry from the gems they used to produce. It feels like there were some MBAs involved who cut production costs at the expense of the finer details.

Well, the old Privee collection was really a very specialized product, very limited production, and most were rather dressy. Still, if someone doesn't like their current dials, and one has the means, one can commission a bespoke piece, or choose and existing watch but commission a different dial. That is what Wei Koh did with his Tank Cintree.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is an example off the web:

View attachment 1608329

I don't have that particular watch. My wrists are about 7 1/4. I wear a 34mm JLC Gentlehomme and am very fond of it. Back in ye old days, watches were smaller than they tend to be now and men were fine with them. And this is a "dress watch".

I think I "need" that Breguet.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn @pmeis, I had decided to stay put with 10 watches and you had to post that picture. How are you enjoying the watch? Do you think it is a keeper?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned a while ago, although some brands may be less affected by this, a friend at an AD for Breguet, Cartier, GP, Grand Seiko, Panerai etc (they used to have VC too), said dress watches especially gold one are tough to sell these days. He said most people want steel sports watches.

I’ve heard this a lot but haven’t noticed any discounting, even on the secondary market. SS watches are at a huge premium but gold ones seem flat rather than down. That suggests they are selling well just not with the hype of SS, or else stock is building up.

Well, the old Privee collection was really a very specialized product, very limited production, and most were rather dressy. Still, if someone doesn't like their current dials, and one has the means, one can commission a bespoke piece, or choose and existing watch but commission a different dial. That is what Wei Koh did with his Tank Cintree.

Do you know how much an MTO Cartier starts at? I have to imagine it’s a very high number and probably only available to regular customers, otherwise you’d see them on the secondary market.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Just to chime in re: dress watch sizing, I personally would have no reservations about something in the 34-35 mm range. Especially for a great vintage piece or something that really suited my personal taste. Probably anything smaller than that might be pushing it, but the Patek that @chocomallo posted looks really sharp at 33 => so as always, it truly does come down to the watch itself and how it wears on your wrist (lugs, strap size, and all the other usual factors).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suggests they are selling well just not with the hype of SS, or else stock is building up.

Do you know how much an MTO Cartier starts at? I have to imagine it’s a very high number and probably only available to regular customers, otherwise you’d see them on the secondary market.

Well, it may depend on some regions, but a former Patek dealer in my area gave up its Patek contract. They said the only inquiries we are getting regularly from customers are for the steel Nautilus and Aquanaut. No one is coming in for other pieces, its just not worth it for us. They still had plenty of stock left even with a 20% discount when they were dropping the line. Not sure if they dumped the rest with a gray dealer.

I have no idea what a commissioned piece starts at with Cartier. However, I doubt it makes sense for someone to commission a special version of a watch that's say under $15K. I'm far from one of their big client's, but when I was looking at a watch and some of its details didn't appeal to me, my SA offered to put in an application for a unique piece, but I declined. It wasn't a watch that was totally in love with even if the details were changed. Cartier collectors love special or very rare pieces. The ones that become available end up in the hands of big time collectors through auctions or specialty shops sourcing items for them. They aren't pieces you'll see on Chrono24/online sites or average brick & mortar stores.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few piece unique Cartier's on instagram and they've always been platinum watches. I mentioned before but this is something I would like to do eventually to mark a milestone bday one day.

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here are two 34mm watches that I wear (7 1/4" wrist).

IMG_4691 (1).jpg IMG_4693 (1).jpg

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Here are two 34mm watches that I wear (7 1/4" wrist).

View attachment 1608770 View attachment 1608771

Very nice pair of JLCs....both of those are more than rock-able for most average wrists, in my opinion.

Maybe not so much for the really big and buff dudes-- and to be honest, they're probably at their best when paired with long sleeves / dressier attire-- but two sweet watches for sure.

Reactions: RSS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads