• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That watch is about as clean as it gets.

Thanks!

It's funny that this watch really is the perfect fit for me, both physically and aesthetically, but was also one of the easiest watches to actually buy new (I think I waited longer for my Tudor than for the DJ).

I say funny only because the psychology of scarcity/hype really does seem to push people (myself included) away from more readily available models they might otherwise find desirable (at one point internet hype had me feeling a DJ would be settling for a "lesser" model even though I was strongly drawn to it).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sub and I'll be thrilled to acquire a new GMT or Daytona (someday???), but I'll try to suspend the hype chatter enough to hold those watches in my mind as basically equal to my beloved DJ (price differences relative to complications not withstanding...).

Ok...now getting primed for some Speedy Tuesday...

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

It's funny that this watch really is the perfect fit for me, both physically and aesthetically, but was also one of the easiest watches to actually buy new (I think I waited longer for my Tudor than for the DJ).

I say funny only because the psychology of scarcity/hype really does seem to push people (myself included) away from more readily available models they might otherwise find desirable (at one point internet hype had me feeling a DJ would be settling for a "lesser" model even though I was strongly drawn to it).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sub and I'll be thrilled to acquire a new GMT or Daytona (someday???), but I'll try to suspend the hype chatter enough to hold those watches in my mind as basically equal to my beloved DJ (price differences relative to complications not withstanding...).

Ok...now getting primed for some Speedy Tuesday...

DJ is an amazing watch. Not that it matters, but the DJ sold at a retail premium compared to the Sub for a good portion if not majority of the model's history.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DJ is an amazing watch. Not that it matters, but the DJ sold at a retail premium compared to the Sub for a good portion if not majority of the model's history.

It still does (36 DJ fluted on jubilee = 8.5k vs No-date Sub = 8.1k). That's kind of what I meant by the hype situation being sort of funny.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend sent me this IWC cap from Sohaffhauson, Switxorland. I take it's not official gear. View attachment 1608069
Hmm, there must be a way to verify this. Hold on, I have this 10 pound book:

iwc (1).jpg

- and if you look closely, you can see that it has the same year as the cap! I think it's safe to assume then, that your cap is 100% legit.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the typical marketing copy:

“There’s something about the pointlessness of watch collecting that’s very soothing – that I really like,” I said.
Williams laughed. “So you must like life,” he said.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of that Hodinkee article rings true. Particularly the part about the snobbery of some collectors.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going back to the Cartier boutique today to look at the large Santos white dial (they also have the Navy there for me to look at as well). The associate and store GM are saying that the steel large Santos is in “very high demand;” apparently the associate is already getting requests from other stores to send them this model. I’ve also read this elsewhere. Could be a sales tactic but more likely a story of stainless steel watch inflation/demand - you can’t buy the watch online from Cartier anymore. We will see if I walk out with it...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the typical marketing copy:

“There’s something about the pointlessness of watch collecting that’s very soothing – that I really like,” I said.
Williams laughed. “So you must like life,” he said.

You like what you like, but eight black dial watches (including two similar Tudors and a couple of similar IWCs) seems like overkill

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You like what you like, but eight black dial watches (including two similar Tudors and a couple of similar IWCs) seems like overkill

He did say right out of the gates that he was f**king crazy...

pretty nice collection otherwise...

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, man! I will say, though - if I had to be critical - the polished surfaces really do shimmer, which is both beautiful, but also attention grabbing. Wearing the watch with this type of outfit (my prevailing uniform of sorts...), where the watch only pops out every once in a while, is easy.

As it becomes warmer and short sleeves take over, I'll probably wear the DJ less and opt instead for sportier watches with more brushed steel...But hopsack and linen sport coats will keep the DJ from too much bench time. :)

Embrace the shimmer!;)

The Rolex sports models are more popular now, but on a watch vs watch basis a fluted bezel, jubilee DJ will often look better/more impressive on wrist than many if not most of the Rolex sports models in stainless steel

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going back to the Cartier boutique today to look at the large Santos white dial (they also have the Navy there for me to look at as well). The associate and store GM are saying that the steel large Santos is in “very high demand;” apparently the associate is already getting requests from other stores to send them this model. I’ve also read this elsewhere. Could be a sales tactic but more likely a story of stainless steel watch inflation/demand - you can’t buy the watch online from Cartier anymore. We will see if I walk out with it...

Not a sales tactic. I don't know about the white dial version, but the blue steel Santos, the steel & ADCL version, and the all ADLC version are in high demand. It's been that way for several months. There have been some on chrono24 with prices a little over MSRP. I've had the blue dial for almost 2 years and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the manual wind XL Santos Dumont model? I'm guessing the dressier Santos Dumonts have not been as popular.

Since the Cartier talk from a few weeks ago I've been looking at Tank Americaine's, Cintree's and Santos Dumont's online and instagram quite a bit lately.
Not a sales tactic. I don't know about the white dial version, but the blue steel Santos, the steel & ADCL version, and the all ADLC version are in high demand. It's been that way for several months. There have been some on chrono24 with prices a little over MSRP. I've had the blue dial for almost 2 years and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was surprised to find I liked the navy a lot more. The dial is beautiful, and IMO the large size is not too big (I think the dial is actually a bit smaller than my DJ). The bracelet system is clever. Very unique watcMy main concerns are
1) I noticed the difference between the highly polished bezel and the more brushed bracelet a few times
2) Durability (scratches) of the bezel
3) How versatile it is (can it go from dressy to casual) relative to a round watch

I have a week to make a decision

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads