• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll wait for this one:

1620504097549.jpeg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying, owning and wearing a Rolex should not have to come with a years worth of appointments with an analyst. Just wear the ******* thing and enjoy it.

Funny, I never hear anyone say they don’t understand the appeal of Omega or Breguet.

And, the Yin (or Yang) side obtains just as well:
Someone else's buying, owning and wearing a Rolex should not have to cause a years worth of appointments with an analyst. Just let the person wear the ******* thing and let him/her enjoy it.
:wink:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not upset...and I'm not posting AT you so much as riffing on a trope that rotates in and out with some frequency on this thread: the ostentatious rolex douche vs the classy rolex gent, or whatever...

(both exist, of course, but there are many points across the spectrum)
True, but the teeter most typically is extremely tottered in the direction of the "ord" rather than the "crg", whether here or irl, which apparently is the same thing for some.

The relentless elevation by and of the brand, and happy acceptance by its more self-absorbed and self-promotional clients, of Rownership to such hyperbolic "STATUS!!!!!SYMBOL" status has led to so much of this:

3 Ways to Be a Classy Guy - RolexHow.jpg

...which then has led to so much of this:

roleesaw.jpg

N.B.: At least there are a couple/few true "crgs" in this thread, who possess very beautiful Rolexes without constantly cramming them down our throats, and whose posts in addition are always a real pleasure to read.
?

Reactions: RSS

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but the teeter most typically is extremely tottered in the direction of the "ord" rather than the "crg", whether here or irl, which apparently is the same thing for some.

The relentless elevation by and of the brand, and happy acceptance by its more self-absorbed and self-promotional clients, of Rownership to such hyperbolic "STATUS!!!!!SYMBOL" status has led to so much of this:

View attachment 1606871

...which then has led to so much of this:

View attachment 1606872

N.B.: At least there are a couple/few true "crgs" in this thread, who possess very beautiful Rolexes without constantly cramming them down our throats, and whose posts in addition are always a real pleasure to read.
?

Really? Who has been “cramming them [Rolex] down our throats”?

And do you actually encounter, here or elsewhere, the Rolex cap and scarf person?

This sounds like more straw man stuff to me.

This is a watch thread. To NOT encounter Rolex here would seem strange.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, these Rolex debates seem to arise from Rolex haters who don’t even own Rolex.

I’ve been quite critical of the brand and have argued for other options in various contexts, but I also really value the brand, as a watch lover, for what they do as watch manufacturers (rather than as social signals).

It‘sreally this simple for me: If I encounter a respectful, kind, charming, wise and stylish person wearing a Rolex, I’m just gonna think “cool watch...”

If I encounter a crude, douchey hack wearing a Rolex, I’m gonna think “nice try...”

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Who has been “cramming them [Rolex] down our throats”?

And do you actually encounter, here or elsewhere, the Rolex cap and scarf person?

This sounds like more straw man stuff to me.

This is a watch thread. To NOT encounter Rolex here would seem strange.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, these Rolex debates seem to arise from Rolex haters who don’t even own Rolex.

I’ve been quite critical of the brand and have argued for other options in various contexts, but I also really value the brand, as a watch lover, for what they do as watch manufacturers (rather than as social signals).

It‘sreally this simple for me: If I encounter a respectful, kind, charming, wise and stylish person wearing a Rolex, I’m just gonna think “cool watch...”

If I encounter a crude, douchey hack wearing a Rolex, I’m gonna think “nice try...”
OK, but wow....

Apparently I did not post nearly enough smileys, etc etc etc even though my post was simply an illustration of your own words/spectrum.

N.B.: I also think that, for example, a poster here is definitely "respectful, kind, charming, wise and stylish"; I think his Explorer is definitely gorgeous; and I definitely always think “cool watch...” when he posts it. OK?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, but wow....

Apparently I did not post nearly enough smileys, etc etc etc even though my post was simply an illustration of your own words/spectrum.

Did I misunderstand? You posted a picture of a see-saw leaning completely to one side...? That seems to me the opposite of my meaning...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads