• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9thsymph, I didn't mean to upset you. My opinion is not important enough to upset someone. None of our opinions are. Please accept my apology.

I'm not upset...and I'm not posting AT you so much as riffing on a trope that rotates in and out with some frequency on this thread: the ostentatious rolex douche vs the classy rolex gent, or whatever...

Absolutely no apology required

Reactions: RSS

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not upset...and I'm not posting AT you so much as riffing on a trope that rotates in and out with some frequency on this thread: the ostentatious rolex douche vs the classy rolex gent, or whatever...

Absolutely no apology required

(both exist, of course, but there are many points across the spectrum)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m an attorney and I’ve never represented a cook, but I’d like to. I’d do it for free meals. **** the Michelin star system.
LOL

Didn't he do it in the library with a candlestick ... or was it a Daytona over the head?

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha.

Nice.

Now do these guys:

Eisenhower
JFK
LBJ
W. Churchill
Dizzy Gillespie
MLK
14th Dalai Lama
Che Guevara
Elvis
Paul Newman
Obama
Biden
Jay-Z
Roger Federer
etc...

Enlightening list, actually: I think the change in human caliber (as it were) is noticeable once we get past the quartz era and Rolex becomes a blingy status symbol.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enlightening list, actually: I think the change in human caliber (as it were) is noticeable once we get past the quartz era and Rolex becomes a blingy status symbol.

I agree to some extent (much of that image driven by fictional depictions since around the 90s...I feel like “Die Hard” opened something up that became easy to pile on...”Glengarry...” too). My point is mainly that it’s easy, at this time, to cherry-pick or curate a list that seems to re-enforce whatever image one desires to simulate - no doubt an extension of internet culture in general, as much as anything else...?

In real life I rarely encounter any of the exaggerated stereotypes often deployed...

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to apologize to everyone for wearing Rolex. It’s insensitive and offensive and I’m sorry. Here’s a pic of my first ever wristwatch. I hope this redeems my image of a somewhat successful, middle aged, used car salesman manager.
DDCAFEB0-53BD-4E27-BEB1-04DC3F308269.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to apologize to everyone for wearing Rolex. It’s insensitive and offensive and I’m sorry. Here’s a pic of my first ever wristwatch. I hope this redeems my image of a somewhat successful, middle aged, used car salesman manager.
View attachment 1606802

don’t sell yourself short man! That’s what the new car sales manager wears.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying, owning and wearing a Rolex should not have to come with a years worth of appointments with an analyst. Just wear the ******* thing and enjoy it.

Funny, I never hear anyone say they don’t understand the appeal of Omega or Breguet.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don’t sell yourself short man! That’s what the new car sales manager wears.
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest ******* thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
View attachment 1606802
Sir you display too much butt hurt. No one was talking about YOU, it is just seem to YOU that way, again.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest ******* thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.

well, you’ve travelled the path well. I can’t believe you still have it.

My first “nice” watch was a Sector.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1606802
Looks better than new AP concept...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads