• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
George, you have some truly beautiful watches ... I mean some outstanding ones ... and I enjoy you showing them to us. Why the Rolex? As we'd say in this family "That's just your old Boy's Market dress!" ;-)

Maybe one of these days I'll understand the Rolex fascination.

Enjoy your time away.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George, you have some truly beautiful watches ... I mean some outstanding ones ... and I enjoy you showing them to us. Why the Rolex? As we'd say in this family "That's just your old Boy's Market dress!" ;-)

Enjoy your time away.
Um... thanks?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the Rolex? As we'd say in this family "That's just your old Boy's Market dress!" ;-)

Rolex isn't for everyone, but few watches are, and for a multi-time zone watch, it's tough to beat. I like their GMT Master and Explorer II more than what most other brands offer for tracking multiple time zones. The old JLC Geographic was a nice watch, but the GMT is a classic and tough to beat in terms of ease of use. One can swim with it and do more physical activities with it than one would do with a Geographic.

gmathio

Reaction score
20210114_200032[1].jpg

This is the photo !

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only post more repetitive in this thread than Rolex are remarks about the ubiquity of Rolex.
Well, Rolex is one of the few watches that can be identified at ten paces with one eye tied behind the back. ;-)

For me it's more than ubiquity. It’s suspicion brought about by a brand that has worked hard to make itself excessively conspicuous as a sign of wealth. I think my negative feeling goes back to my college days. One summer I worked for a law firm that is known for representing white collar criminals. I quickly noticed that those criminals all seemed to share a love of Rolex. I also noticed that most of the lawyers in that firm wore them too. Now these were men who took extreme pride in their ability to help cRooks (Edit after George's hilarious post) beat the system (it was impossible to avoid the talk). Something told me these were not men to see as role models.

No, not everyone wearing a Rolex is a crook or the helper of a crook. Most aren't. Lots of good guys wear Rolex. One of my best friends does. But my amygdala is called into action when I see one. I just can't help it. It's not you ... it's me. Rolex = turn around and move away. It's like that rattle on a diamondback. ;)

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My perception of Rolex has always been: It is a watch that salesman gets when he outperforms others in his department. Gold Rolex is for a manager of those salesman to show them who is the boss.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Rolex is one of the few watches that can be identified at ten paces with one eye tied behind the back. ;-)

For me it's more than ubiquity. It’s suspicion brought about by a brand that has worked hard to make itself excessively conspicuous as a sign of wealth. I think my negative feeling goes back to my college days. One summer I worked for a law firm that is known for representing white collar criminals. I quickly noticed that those criminals all seemed to share a love of Rolex. I also noticed that most of the lawyers in that firm wore them too. Now these were men who took extreme pride in their ability to help cooks beat the system (it was impossible to avoid the talk). Something told me these were not men to see as role models.

No, not everyone wearing a Rolex is a crook or the helper of a crook. Most aren't. Lots of good guys wear Rolex. One of my best friends does. But my amygdala is called into action when I see one. I just can't help it. It's not you ... it's me. Rolex = turn around and move away. It's like that rattle on a diamondback. ;)

Haha.

Nice.

Now do these guys:

Eisenhower
JFK
LBJ
W. Churchill
Dizzy Gillespie
MLK
14th Dalai Lama
Che Guevara
Elvis
Paul Newman
Obama
Biden
Jay-Z
Roger Federer
etc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads