• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of vintage DD - particularly this 18038 with wood dial (there just aren’t any current 36 chocolate dials without diamonds...in looking for alternatives, the wood dial iterations caught my attention...thoughts?):

View attachment 1605724

Wonder if you can find a wood dial with the "bark" bracelet. I'd sign up for that.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
36mm DD is super iconic and the funky dials including the colored stella ones, wood etc. are really idiosyncratic and awesome imo.

it’s interesting, though, because Stella dials go for way above current msrp, while the wood dials generally go for way less, which has made me question if there is something about those dials that I need to consider (aside from resale - I couldn’t care less about resale...)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder if you can find a wood dial with the "bark" bracelet. I'd sign up for that.

I feel like this could be a future combo for a Speedy SE, with snoopy engraved on the back - one leg up - taking a piss....

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it’s interesting, though, because Stella dials go for way above current msrp, while the wood dials generally go for way less, which has made me question if there is something about those dials that I need to consider (aside from resale - I couldn’t care less about resale...)

I knew Stellas had gone through the roof but I was not aware that the wooden dials are less desired. If you like them, I'd say snap one up. I would imagine not that many were made.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new Omega Rail master is a Master Chronometer. As such, I have the ability to look up my actual watch certification on the Omega website to see how it did on the tests. I thought some of you might find it interesting. Just took a moment to input the references numbers from my included card and here is what you get:

TEST RESULTS
Type of testResultsTest limitsTest details
FUNCTION OF CHRONOMETER-CERTIFIED MOVEMENT DURING EXPOSURE TO 15,000 GAUSS (1.5 Tesla) MAGNETIC FIELDpassed15,000 gaussThis test examines the movement of the watch, placing it in two different positions and subjecting it to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss. The functioning of the movement is audibly checked using a microphone.
FUNCTION OF WATCH DURING EXPOSURE TO 15,000 GAUSS MAGNETIC FIELDpassed15,000 gaussIn this test, the watch is subjected to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss. While exposed to this field, the functioning of the watch is audibly checked using a microphone.
DEVIATION OF DAILY CHRONOMETRIC PRECISION AFTER EXPOSURE TO 15,000 GAUSS0.4 sec/day0 to 5 sec/dayIn this test, the watch is subjected to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss and its chronometric precision is calculated after 24 hours. The next day, the watch is demagnetised and the chronometric precision is calculated after another 24 hours. We show the minimal deviation between the two days.
AVERAGE DAILY CHRONOMETRIC PRECISION OF THE WATCH4.8 sec/day0 to 6 sec/dayThis test is carried out over four days. During these days, the watch is placed in six different positions and two alternating temperature zones. It is also exposed to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss. Chronometric precision is recorded each day. At the end of the four days, the results are used to calculate a daily average.
POWER RESERVEpassed55 hoursThis test checks the power reserve of the watch by proving that it continues to function at the limit of its expected capacity.
DEVIATION OF CHRONOMETRIC PRECISION IN SIX POSITIONS1.8 sec/day0 to 14 sec/dayIn this test, the watch is placed in six different positions and its chronometric precision is recorded in each one. Out of these six results, we show the deviation between the two most extreme results known as the Delta.
DEVIATION OF CHRONOMETRIC PRECISION BETWEEN 100% and 33% OF POWER RESERVE2.6 sec/day0 to 10 sec/dayIn this test, the watch is placed in six different positions and its chronometric precision is recorded at 100% power reserve in each one. This process is repeated when the power reserve of the watch reaches 33%. We then take the average results of the six measures during both states of the power reserve and give the deviation between the two.
WATER RESISTANCEpassed15 bar (150 metres / 500 feet)This test submerges the watch underwater, gradually applying more pressure up the point of the stated water resistance. This ensures that each watch is properly tested for underwater conditions.

Attachments

• 1620331030379.png
    1620331030379.png
    75 bytes · Views: 15
  • 1620331030492.png
    1620331030492.png
    75 bytes · Views: 6
  • 1620331030598.png
    1620331030598.png
    75 bytes · Views: 4
  • 1620331030703.png
    1620331030703.png
    75 bytes · Views: 5
  • 1620331030925.png
    1620331030925.png
    75 bytes · Views: 6
  • 1620331030812.png
    1620331030812.png
    75 bytes · Views: 20
  • 1620331031041.png
    1620331031041.png
    75 bytes · Views: 20

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew Stellas had gone through the roof but I was not aware that the wooden dials are less desired. If you like them, I'd say snap one up.

that’s basically my present thinking...want to see the more recently discontinued rose gold 36 with chocolate stick dial in real life too...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of vintage DD - particularly this 18038 with wood dial (there just aren’t any current 36 chocolate dials without diamonds...in looking for alternatives, the wood dial iterations caught my attention...thoughts?):

View attachment 1605724

I like it. The dial color is very rich and its a classic look for Day-Dates of the 1970s and 80s. As @mak1277 suggested, I'd probably try to find one with a "Bark" finished bracelet and bezel. If these are going for less than the ones with onyx, lapis, tiger's eye etc, then it could be a real bargain.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a perfect opportunity to drag up an old photo:

1620336382849.png

It's usually on it's native black buffalo strap, but for a change I got this one from an AD. It's made for the Mk XV Spitfire (allegedly by Camille Fournet).

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. The dial color is very rich and its a classic look for Day-Dates of the 1970s and 80s. As @mak1277 suggested, I'd probably try to find one with a "Bark" finished bracelet and bezel. If these are going for less than the ones with onyx, lapis, tiger's eye etc, then it could be a real bargain.

I haven't found the bark/wood combo. The watch in the photo I posted is in the neighborhood of 15k (I think...). Need to see the condition in person of course, but...

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1605724
I think it is a wonderful watch. I don’t think you would lose money if it turned out to be a “phase” watch.

I remember having a boss’s boss who had the bark bracelet. I looked forward to meetings with him to watch the light’s play on the bracelet.

An experienced watch reviewer did a review on the DD 36 and DD 41. He said that more people noticed the DD 36 than any other watch he’d ever worn. In contrast, they didn’t pay much attention to the larger 41 mm because they assumed it was a fake.

Re: wood dials, I would reference my perception of wood finishes on fountain pens. In theory they should be great: each unique, textured, warm feel, rich color. In practice, for most brands they do not seem to be highly valued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads