• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My knock around watch used to be an IWC Flieger. I'm guessing I got it in the 90's. Some time back my nephew moved the time backward through midnight and caused a problem. It has been sitting in the watch box for some years now and needs to be sent back to IWC for repairs and an service. This happened once before and the repair was high three figures. Worth it to have it repaired again? Thoughts?
Is it a 3706? I had the same one on a bracelet. I wish I'd never sold it.

I'd imagine that a decent local watchmaker could service it given that the 7750 was so common.

Reactions: RSS

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My knock around watch used to be an IWC Flieger. I'm guessing I got it in the 90's. Some time back my nephew moved the time backward through midnight and caused a problem. It has been sitting in the watch box for some years now and needs to be sent back to IWC for repairs and an service. This happened once before and the repair was high three figures. Worth it to have it repaired again? Thoughts?
That is a beautiful watch.

Imo, for <$1K, it is definitely worth repairing unless the problem is some recurring one that is only being band-aided for $1K. The watch is a classic, and you must like it. What are good working used ones in the same aesthetic condition as yours selling for on the market these days, $3.5K-$5K?

I'd imagine that a decent local watchmaker could service it given that the 7750 was so common.
IWC modified their 7750s though, so I'm not sure I would give the job to a local watchmaker unless he/she assured me that the repair only required standard 7750 parts or that the IWC bits could in fact be procured.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Ouch...that sucks. Especially to experience the same problem twice!

To me, yes it's worth repairing if you honestly think it will get wrist time again. There's a reason you loved it in the first place :colgate:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it a 3706? I had the same one on a bracelet. I wish I'd never sold it.

It is a 3706. I do have a soft spot for it.

That is a beautiful watch.

Imo, for <$1K, it is definitely worth repairing unless the problem is some recurring one that is only being band-aided for $1K. The watch is a classic, and you must like it. What are good working used ones in the same aesthetic condition as yours selling for on the market these days, $3.5K-$5K?

IWC modified their 7750s though, so I'm not sure I would give the job to a local watchmaker unless he/she assured me that the repair only required standard 7750 parts or that the IWC bits could in fact be procured.

Thank you. I'll probably send it back to IWC given that it needs a repair in addition to a service.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a 3706. I do have a soft spot for it.

Thank you. I'll probably send it back to IWC given that it needs a repair in addition to a service.
I don't think you will regret that choice, if you intend to wear the watch again, Plus, you already have three beautiful straps for it.

If you're intent on keeping/wearing, repair would be a wise investment. If you intend to sell, do not bother with the repairs, just sell as is. One generally never recoups repair expenses at near 1:1 even if selling the very day after picking up the watch.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found a small stack of IWC hardcover catalogs from 2001-2008 in a bookcase in my office. I wanted the Aquatimer 3536 so badly. Anybody ever own one?

View attachment 1605587

Pics from Fratello.
I have one of those hardback books from 2003/4, that has some of my favourite offerings from when IWC made nice watches: My personal favourite of all their watches, the Mark XV (which I have), this, their best ever Aquatimer (which I prefer in titanium like in these photos), and the above mentioned chrono 3706, which along with only one or two other chronos from other brands, is a chrono I would actually consider wearing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the same one on a bracelet.
Guess what I just found?

I'm remembering I bought it on a leather band -- at Prince Jewelry in Hong Kong -- and later bought the bracelet when I was back in the US.

Attachments

• IWC_Flieger_Braclet.jpg
    IWC_Flieger_Braclet.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of those hardback books from 2003/4, that has some of my favourite offerings from when IWC made nice watches: My personal favourite of all their watches, the Mark XV (which I have), this, their best ever Aquatimer (which I prefer in titanium like in these photos), and the above mentioned chrono 3706, which along with only one or two other chronos from other brands, is a chrono I would actually consider wearing.

That era was a great one for IWC. One could fill more than a few slots in a collection by going with the models you selected. Just to add a bit of complication, maybe throw in the 3711/3713 Doppelchronograph and I'd be covered for almost anything.

Guess what I just found.

I'm remembering I bought it on a leather band -- at Prince Jewelry in Hong Kong -- and later bought the bracelet when I was back in the US.

Great find!! That "beads of rice" bracelet is one of the most comfortable I've ever worn and it looks amazing. You even have the bracelet sizing tools :fistbump:.

If you ever decide to move that one along, I'd consider giving it a good home :) .

alpyigit

Reaction score
I am a big fan of 3227 and it's variants. Had probably posted before, but would not hurt to do again. I was almost buying another 3227 last week, glad it was sold before I confirmed the trade with the seller.

fullsizeoutput_3fc1.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wtf did IWC do to the Ingenieur? The current Ingenieur doesn't even look like an Ingenieur.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of vintage DD - particularly this 18038 with wood dial (there just aren’t any current 36 chocolate dials without diamonds...in looking for alternatives, the wood dial iterations caught my attention...thoughts?):

B8C1A75A-4DB7-4864-81B3-3FF6F845DAE9.jpeg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of vintage DD - particularly this 18038 with wood dial (there just aren’t any current 36 chocolate dials without diamonds...in looking for alternatives, the wood dial iterations caught my attention...thoughts?):

View attachment 1605724

36mm DD is super iconic and the funky dials including the colored stella ones, wood etc. are really idiosyncratic and awesome imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads