• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alpyigit

Reaction score
IWC day.

Vd2nng7MTGSADjefNCNo%Q.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How surprised were you when you realised there weren't only 30 made? ;-)

This is a nice reminder of the good days of IWC and one of the best watches from that time, the Ingenieur 3239 - here in the Laureus version:

1620303246469.png

- just compare this to the current Ingenieur line-up ?

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love these digressions regarding spouses.

I've been with mine for about 40 years ... although being gay we only married in the last decade. We both have similar financial situations which makes life easier. We also agreed early that we would have an "open" relationship. This has introduced new blood -- and excitement -- from time to time. It has worked wonderfully ... so I think of myself as lucky. Even at my age I feel as if I live in a candy store.

Probably TMI ... so I'll shut up now. ;-)

Talk about living the dream!

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, it’s one thing to casually comment on the views of one’s spouse vis a vie watch collecting. It’s an entirely different universe to discuss being in an open relationship.

9FFBD7EC-D42B-44C2-A64F-55EC3B732C2E.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, it’s one thing to casually comment on the views of one’s spouse vis a vie watch collecting. It’s an entirely different universe to discuss being in an open relationship.

View attachment 1605476

There was so much talk about herpes, and having eyes for "more than her", and **********s (another thread), and being married to the wrong one ... it was hard to know the limits.

But not to worry, I'm not actively hunting; I picture almost everyone here as a real live bullfrog behind a virtual prince ;-) . And to be honest, I was going for a bit of "shock treatment" to hopefully get things back on track.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was so much talk about herpes, and having eyes for "more than her", and **********s (another thread), and being married to the wrong one ... it was hard to know the limits.

But not to worry, I'm not actively hunting.
Waffle House **********s are relevant to all threads regardless of topic.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But not to worry, I'm not actively hunting.
I missed the ********** thread. Perhaps a new sub forum?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
How surprised were you when you realised there weren't only 30 made? ;-)

This is a nice reminder of the good days of IWC and one of the best watches from that time, the Ingenieur 3239 - here in the Laureus version:

View attachment 1605428

- just compare this to the current Ingenieur line-up ?

Always thought these were quite underrated design-wise, and I believe it's a nice, wearable 40 mm. Although I really would have preferred more of a "sunburst" type of dial, rather than the flat blue. Would have been a slam dunk IMO.

Maybe after all the Pilot stuff they've just updated, IWC will make '22 the year of the Ingenieur?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 3227 that came before had some nicely textured dials, which I would prefer, though overall I think I prefer this newer version with its all stick markers and smaller case.

3227:

1620317039118.png

With the popularity of integrated bracelet steel watches (especially the heavy hitters from AP and PP), it seems like a wasted opportunity for IWC to abandon this design.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Exactly! Couldn't agree more.

IIRC, the 3227 was far more popular back in the day. Meaning, it got more love on forums, etc. at the time compared to whatever affection the 3239 received during its brief moment in the sun.

I do like the font on those numerals (and the texture is also nice) but overall would porbably opt for the stick version myself.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Virtually all OEM straps are padded these days. For whatever reason, it’s come to be what people expect. Also, I suspect unlined straps made with thicker hides are simply costlier. Even the tippy-top watch brands don’t spec the highest end options from strap makers, so clearly they believe it is an area they can slip by with lower quality.
It depends upon the watch case. I recently bought a JLC Ultra Thin and it came with a relatively thin JLC croc band. And if wearing a more delicate watch -- Cartier Tank, a PP Calatrava, etc. -- I'll wear an unpadded band. But, if I'm wearing a beefier watch -- Breguet Type XX, IWC Fleiger, etc -- I'm going to want a padded band to work with that thick case.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My knock around watch used to be an IWC Flieger. I'm guessing I got it in the 90's. My nephew moved the hands backward through midnight and caused a problem. It has been sitting in the watch box for a few years now and needs to be sent back to IWC for repairs and an service. This happened once before and the repair was high three figures. Worth it to have it repaired again? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IWC_Flieger.jpg
    IWC_Flieger.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics