• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at a Patek 5170J. What do you think of that collection of match sticks? Kind of the same strategy...
It's not as bad as that Rolex, but I don't really like having a mix of numerals (whether Arabic or Roman) with sticks - the only examples that come to mind that I appreciate are the Explorer and some base Panerai models.

Also, I'm not really a fan of watches with complications, other than maybe a date. I like very few chronographs, as most are just too busy for me and that includes this PP; I just vastly prefer clean, time only dials...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And a lot of the other big dates are superior to JLC/Lange. :teach: (It's actually JLC's big date that Lange is using.)

Yes, I know that JLC developed it and allowed Lange to use it. Then JLC also started using it on their own watches.
As for a lot of other big dates being superior, I think you and I will have to agree to disagree...most just come off as ...someone in corporate said, "Hey big dates are a thing now, so someone slap one onto what we make."

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are other GO big date models that are not the Pano series aka Lange 1 copy...

I'd only buy a GO that isn't a Pano/Lange copy. I've spoken previously about why I'd never get a Pano, so I'll leave it at that.

I prefer a big date on the dial vs a cyclops magnifier on the crystal.

For me it truly depends on the watch. The cyclops doesn't bother me, and my favorite date placement is 3 o'clock. I feel like most big date watches just jumped on the trend and I don't generally want a huge prominent date in odd places on the dial.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd only buy a GO that isn't a Pano/Lange copy. I've spoken previously about why I'd never get a Pano, so I'll leave it at that.

I liked it but trying it on the wrist did nothing for me. Perhaps the triangle/golden ratio really do make a difference...

officine

Reaction score
Explor(e)ring the neighborhood with the 16570....
D2A7BC1C-6545-4689-8920-F56E3B83A454.jpeg
75CFA4DA-5E45-4C5C-BA19-3B89A337FB4D.jpeg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a tendency to put things away and forget about them. Just found this one that I'd put away -- shortly after I got it -- in the bottom drawer of a watch box.

I was always a fan of this piece. Given my age, I guess I'd better start wearing it.
JLC_MasterCalendar.jpg

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads