• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not that Patek doesn’t have the necessary equipment. Obviously they do. But as a matter of company philosophy, they do not laser weld or go to restorative measures unless a watch has really catastrophic damage. A worn-down edge does not qualify. They would just polish the watch down without adding more material.
I think you know what you have to do. Pour yourself a couple of fingers of your finest whiskey and do your worst. Please post pictures of the wreckage.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not like there is any voodoo in Patek’s white gold. I believe they use palladium instead of nickel or silver, but the competent case restorers out there know the right mix for each manufacturer.
I always figured each maker's gold mix would be proprietary

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you get them to do it? Who did you work with at Henri Stern?

Like I said, scratches they will potentially laser weld. This is not a scratch. It is a rounded-off edge.

This was through a different Patek repair center. I simply asked if laser welding was an option because I wanted to avoid polishing down just as you are concerned. I was told only Patek in Geneva does the laser welding. It took an extra three months, but I think it was worth it. The case looked indistinguishable from new. It only cost an extra 130 bucks or so as I recall. I'd have to pull out the receipt to confirm.

I wonder if they cannot repair rounded edges because of the amount of gold that would need to be welded on is too much. Just a guess.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you know what you have to do. Pour yourself a couple of fingers of your finest whiskey and do your worst. Please post pictures of the wreckage.

Ha, I actually thought about purposefully damaging the case badly enough that Patek would be forced to pull out all the stops. But the risk is that they could instead insist on a case replacement, which I’d rather avoid for sentimental reasons. Also, feels wrong.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was through a different Patek repair center. I simply asked if laser welding was an option because I wanted to avoid polishing down just as you are concerned. I was told only Patek in Geneva does the laser welding. It took an extra three months, but I think it was worth it. The case looked indistinguishable from new. It only cost an extra 130 bucks or so as I recall. I'd have to pull out the receipt to confirm.

I wonder if they cannot repair rounded edges because of the amount of gold that would need to be welded on is too much. Just a guess.

I looked it up. The laser service from Patek was only 75 bucks extra.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry, a little confused. What “Patek repair center”? In the U.S., Henri Stern in NYC is Patek’s official presence. Dealers cannot bypass them. Someone at Stern would have to determine that your watch requires lasering in Geneva for it to go there. From my experience, they are reluctant to do this. Not saying your experience isn’t real, but I’d love to know how the situation was navigated.

How bad were the scratches and where were they? Could you feel them with your finger?

Also, as discussed previously, as good as Patek is at refinishing, usually you can still tell when it’s been done. The reflections will not be as straight and the edges will not feel as sharp.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I looked it up. The laser service from Patek was only 75 bucks extra.

This was on an invoice from Patek with a Patek letterhead?

Again—how bad were the scratches?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, a little confused. What “Patek repair center”? In the U.S., Henri Stern in NYC is Patek’s official presence. Dealers cannot bypass them. Someone at Stern would have to determine that your watch requires lasering in Geneva for it to go there. From my experience, they are reluctant to do this. Not saying your experience isn’t real, but I’d love to know how the situation was navigated.

How bad were the scratches and where were they? Could you feel them with your finger?

Also, as discussed previously, as good as Patek is at refinishing, usually you can still tell when it’s been done. The reflections will not be as straight and the edges will not feel as sharp.

I went through a Patek Service Center in another country. I took the watch to the service center personally and was given the option after I asked. Someone onsite made the determination and gave me the choice.

The scratches were fairly minor. Let me see if I can dig up a picture pre-service for you. I don't recall what they felt like at this point. I had it serviced in late 2017 and it was returned to me in 2018.

That may be your experience, but this looked as new. I have scrutinized it to the same degree you would.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went through a Patek Service Center in another country. I took the watch to the service center personally and was given the option after I asked. Someone onsite made the determination and gave me the choice.

The scratches were fairly minor. Let me see if I can dig up a picture pre-service for you. I don't recall what they felt like at this point. I had it serviced in late 2017 and it was returned to me in 2018.

That may be your experience, but this looked as new. I have scrutinized it to the same degree you would.

If you took it to another country’s service center, then that would explain a lot of the difference. Henri Stern is a huge operation, reflecting the size of the US market. They are supposed to do 90% of what Geneva can do, excepting vintage pieces and grand complications.

Hence, they do not make it easy to get your watch to Geneva. Gatekeeping is their job.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the letterhead exists after all. TheFoo questioned whether it really happened, so did it?

No, unlike certain others, I don’t play that game ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads