• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed completely. Everytime I see one I am reminded of the watch we got for my grandfather when he was 95 and had macular degeneration. It looked like a Flava Flav clock on his wirst...

There was a time when I really wanted one. Then I had a chance to try it on and felt the same way. Just too big and the pushers were pressing into me when I would extend my wrist.

Funny how actually putting something on completely changes ones perspective.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, wanted to ask for some advice. Gonna have a baby in September, looking to celebrate.

I'm looking for an everyday dress watch, maybe <$10k. Would love a complication in addition to time and date, with GMT being my favorite. 38-40mm. Steel case with a leather strap are also heavily preferred. Open to used as well.

So far, I'm interested in the following... Please lmk if there's something I'm overlooking, especially used in my price range.

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

IWC portofino chrono or portuguese
View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

VC fifty six (would have to be used, but these might be too new?)
View attachment 1597753

Of these watches, the two I like the most are the JLC Master Geographic (super easy to use and practical, if you need to keep track of another time zone, and I also think the Polaris is a good do everything type of watch.

The JLC MUT...has always seemed too sterile and just falls flat for me.

IWC just isn't the company they once were. Their designs are sort played out (at one point every wealthy college kid in Boston was sporting a Big Pilot or a Portugieser chrono), and they no longer support their vintage pieces they way other older established brands do.

I really like VC and I have 2 of their dress watches. However, the VC Fifty Six, is a bit of a let down to me. It just didn't feel like a VC when I tried it on. I felt like I was trying on a vintage Rolex Bubbleback or vintage Datejust. but produced by VC.

gmathio

Reaction score
Hey gang, wanted to ask for some advice. Gonna have a baby in September, looking to celebrate.

I'm looking for an everyday dress watch, maybe <$10k. Would love a complication in addition to time and date, with GMT being my favorite. 38-40mm. Steel case with a leather strap are also heavily preferred. Open to used as well.

So far, I'm interested in the following... Please lmk if there's something I'm overlooking, especially used in my price range.

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

View attachment 1597753

Personally, I'd go with the Ultra thin JLC, or the IWC Portugieser Chrono. The one with the white dial and gold hands.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I have owned my JLC for nearly a decade, and have only had one person ever comment on it. JLC makes a serious watch for a reasonable sum of money and has designs that are about as close to perfect as you can get. But they can come off a little cold, and you have to be OK with that.

I guess it depends how much style or flash people want in their watch. Boring and generic to 1 can be classic and clean to another. Similarly, stylish and interesting might be called gaudy and flashy, depending on the person.

Getting comments on your watch ? If it is boring/generic, sorry, classic and clean, will people comment on it if they do not recognize the brand ?

Last edited:

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with the Ultra thin JLC, or the IWC Portugieser Chrono. The one with the white dial and gold hands.

I have both of these watches. I wear the JLC as a dress watch and the IWC in dressy and casual situations. Agree that the IWC wears very big. Its fine for me because I'm a big guy but it should be tried on before purchasing.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

View attachment 1597753

@troika I really like the Grand Seiko GMT. I think this is their best case design, its 38mm if memory serves me, and the cream dial is beautiful. It's also a strap monster. They did make some special editions in this case with different color/textured dials as well. It falls well below your price point. Otherwise, I would recommend getting on a list for a Rolex GMT or Explorer II.
1619109417969.png

Good Luck and Congratulations!

-DL

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are there any other top makers of bespoke watch straps other than Camille Fournet, Jean Rousseau, and ABP Paris?
Many other frog independents will - Duret, etc. ABP is the one that seemed most open to customization (scale size, amount of padding, etc.), since watch straps are their specialty, although I don't think they're the best out there. They are pretty good though.

Reactions: RSS

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

View attachment 1597753

Congrats!

Admittedly biased, but my vote is for the Geographic. It wears small. I'm 6'4" with a 6.25" wrist and it fits brilliantly. MUT would be my second choice.

JLC.png

If you're into independents, you can get a Parmigiani Tonda in that range. One of my favorite dollar for dollar watch brands on the planet.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC ultra thin moon
View attachment 1597737

JLC master geo
View attachment 1597739

View attachment 1597748

JLC Polaris
View attachment 1597751

View attachment 1597753
It seems to me that for such an "important occasion" watch, you should set the criteria more precisely, meaning: if you prefer GMT as the primary additional complication, then select from watches which have GMT, as GMT is a pretty specific complication, and cull from there.

That selection you posted is a bit all over the place in that and other regards, which is then confusing and makes giving rational comparative advice pretty difficult. You're likely to receive as many different opinions as replies, with the JLC MUT (not a GMT watch) certainly leading the pack by default.

Even if they satisfy the > STEEL + > 38-40mm (some of those are 41 min I think) + > ~$10K criteria, not all of those you posted above read, to me, as also satisfying:
> EVERYDAY
+
> DRESS (very subjective of course, but I don't see chronographs as dress watches, and the Polaris is really pushing the sport/dress boundary imo)
+
> TIME + DATE
+
> ETC (additional complication)

EDIT:
N.B.:
Definitely willing to make suggestions with a bit more specific criteria. It always interesting to see what options come from questions like yours, good learning for all I think.

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
I really love Blancpain dive watches but love them a bit less less since Vlad P. started wearing them.

View attachment 1597630
Is this a recent pic? I recall a story many years ago where Putin visited a power plant (or some other industrial place) and one of the workers commented on his watch. Vladimir looked down at his wrist, took off his watch and gave it to the guy. I thought it was a Blancpain Aqualung.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a recent pic? I recall a story many years ago where Putin visited a power plant (or some other industrial place) and one of the workers commented on his watch. Vladimir looked down at his wrist, took off his watch and gave it to the guy. I thought it was a Blancpain Aqualung.

On perhaps a related note, I think there is a video of Sarkozy walking along a barrier of sorts, shaking hands with the public. He very slyly removes his watch and puts it in his pocket (so that the watch won’t be taken/seen?).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that anecdote. No idea on the pic date. I’m sure he has an extensive watch collection.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many other frog independents will - Duret, etc. ABP is the one that seemed most open to customization (scale size, amount of padding, etc.), since watch straps are their specialty, although I don't think they're the best out there. They are pretty good though.

ABP quality is the worst of all the three I mentioned, but they also have the most hide and configuration options.

Camille Fournet has also become frustratingly corporate. They want to be a luxury brand.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ABP quality is the worst of all the three I mentioned, but they also have the most hide and configuration options.

Camille Fournet has also become frustratingly corporate. They want to be a luxury brand.
I can't disagree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads