• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool. I just feel odd paying more than $200 for a strap. What kind of strap are you looking for ?

More like $400-500!

Olive alligator with square scales and off-white stitching.

• Love
Reactions: RSS

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Not bespoke but Veblenist offers several customization options at reasonable prices.

ronscuba

Reaction score
More like $400-500!

I have several straps/bracelet for my Speedmaster 57 and old Seiko. $50-$150 range I feel like I am getting adequate quality to value ratio. I don't have any urge to to change the strap on my other watches. Not sure why. Maybe it is because the Speedmaster and Seiko have a vintage vibe.

Do you plan to see the alligator hide and select the section used ?

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Keith T thank you for the rec. I do make custom straps and can confirm the quality of OEM is sometimes great, and sometimes not so much.

Here is a very worn Patek strap a local doctor brought in and it has layers of non-leather inside. Some of which are likely stiffeners and padding as the alligator is very thin and has rolled edges.This one was literally hanging on by a thread.
E8586975-FD87-4360-A9AA-90AC8D1CBC4F.jpeg
92236491-5F77-4C52-B308-2EFC833D1092.jpeg

We don’t do rolled edges and can add padding, but tend to make two layer straps for the most part. All are hand stitched. Here is the replacement on the watch:
EFA5C1FB-1E82-43D1-AA4F-1C5663844B34.jpeg

F0E408D5-5CB4-4694-9245-503B1419D04E.jpeg

-DL

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Keith T thank you for the rec. I do make custom straps and can confirm the quality of OEM is sometimes great, and sometimes not so much.

Here is a very worn Patek strap a local doctor brought in and I has layers of non-leather inside. Some of which are likely stiffeners and padding as the alligator is very thin and has rolled edges.This one was literally hanging on by a thread.
View attachment 1597417 View attachment 1597416

We don’t do rolled edges and can add padding, but tend to make two layer straps for the most part. All are hand stitched. Here is the replacement on the watch:
View attachment 1597418
View attachment 1597421
-DL

Your olive gator looks awesome!!!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which actually reminds me I need to get back to them about a card case/wallet I'm having made...

ecerratic

Reaction score
Apologies as I’m generally just a lurker in this thread, but does anyone have experience with the Tudor BB36? I’m looking for a solid every day watch and even though the snowflake hands aren’t exactly my favorite, everything else is hitting the wants.

I‘m leaning towards that or a vintage Rolex like the 1501. I‘ve never been really moved by the Explorer until recently, but the 36mm is quite tempting even if it’s stretching the budget a bit.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I don't have a watch with Dauphine hands, but I quite like them. Certain stick hand watches do seem rather insipid to me, though. If going by the hand design, I feel like the first of the following three more accurately could be described as 'lacking vigour or interest' (the insipid definition). Do you prefer that first watch over the following two?

Of course "different strokes...", etc., and of course some watches do same-family hands much better than others, but yes I do not like dauphine hands. I often do not like the proportions, the crease, and how they resolve themselves at the center post.

But, I do not necessarily prefer that Piaget over the other two watches, even though it has stick hands, although I like alot of Piaget designs. Of those three watches specifically I perhaps actually like the IWC hand/dial integration the best, but I would not buy any of the three for myself. To me, bombé lugs on any watch, as on that IWC 89, are pretty hideous. IWC made many 89s with lance, stick, syringe hands, all of which I would prefer.

I really like leaf hands a lot (my general favorite); modified (ie belted) leafs; lots of syringe/bund, alpha, and lance hands; many batons/sticks; some Breguet; some swords; some spade; some plongeur. The only ones I really do not like are: dauphine, arrow, cathedral, Mercedes, and the ones GO use. Fortunately there are plenty of styles to keep us all happy. :colgate:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see how some might prefer that Piaget, as I tried to find an actual good version of a stick hands watch (it didn't seem fair to offer up a Skagen or the like).
Do you like any of these, with batons?

1619625.png

0172_tangente_g-2d-front-masked.jpg

LJODnde8RtNIQ2dgs-0PfPYlCY8DO0HF9BKTBTm27xLAj0WorvLGWGVLBdTqMH8OzK40KsYgz9Ro3Ac1LYvIjyn2amNL3YPEfcDKPbA

$_57__37722.1608258637.JPG

Piaget-Altiplano-60th-Anniversary-blue-dial-43mm-and-38mm-SIHH-2017-4.jpg

laco1925-unisex-862062-analog-display-japanese-automatic-brown-watch-jpg.15310004

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you like any of these, with batons?
Seems like there's a mix of hand styles here. The only one I like of them is the Vacheron, after that the IWC - but neither of those seem to have plain stick hands?

I did some searching, as I've considered a dark grey or black alligator strap for myself. Found this olive one from an US shop (that I have no experience with) - it's made by Jean Rousseau in France. Tone on tone stitching though, but they may have custom options (Jean Rousseau does offer bespoke).

But are you sure about olive? I would think that bottle green would jive better with Hermès green ;-)

Btw, I would be going for a flat, unraised strap, like in David Lane's nice example above, but it seems rather hard to come by in ready made straps. What's your preference here?

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is a very worn Patek strap a local doctor brought in and it has layers of non-leather inside. Some of which are likely stiffeners and padding as the alligator is very thin and has rolled edges.This one was literally hanging on by a thread.
View attachment 1597417 View attachment 1597416

View attachment 1597418
View attachment 1597421
-DL
Curious as to why you don’t do rolled edges. Please elaborate.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems like there's a mix of hand styles here. The only one I like of them is the Vacheron, after that the IWC - but neither of those seem to have plain stick hands?

I did some searching, as I've considered a dark grey or black alligator strap for myself. Found this olive one from an US shop (that I have no experience with) - it's made by Jean Rousseau in France. Tone on tone stitching though, but they may have custom options (Jean Rousseau does offer bespoke).

But are you sure about olive? I would think that bottle green would jive better with Hermès green ;-)

Btw, I would be going for a flat, unraised strap, like in David Lane's nice example above, but it seems rather hard to come by in ready made straps. What's your preference here?

I tend to like flat better, but think it depends on the watch. The sportier the watch, the more appropriate padding can look. But on a slim dressy watch, I think flat is the way to go.

Any of the big three French makers (CF, JR, ABP) will let you specify profile/padding, stitching color, etc.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious as to why you don’t do rolled edges. Please elaborate.

The edges of the skin need to be very thin to roll around the inner leather. You can hand skive the edges, but unless you do that work all the time, which I don’t, it’s not very consistent.

I paint my edges which is fairly common. Hermès paints their edges on most watch straps and they are definitely one of the better OEM makers out there.

A bell skiver will do this much better and more evenly, I just don’t get many requests for it to justify buying a machine.

-DL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics