• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I’ve had a local Ben Bridge handle shipping an Explorer to RSC for servicing, with good results. Probably been about 3 years ago. They had me complete some forms, detailing whatever work was being requested etc. and basically took it from there. Pretty painless.

I received a call (or maybe it was an email?) with an estimate promptly, and the turnaround time overall was decent ...IIRC it took them right at 4 weeks. They returned it to the BB and then I just picked the watch up from there, and paid via credit card. Came back nice and fresh with one of those little green pouches.

Just make sure if you go this route that the AD is *solid* and they’re not trying to pull off some “in-house” servicing in lieu of actually sending it to Rolex.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this one really is beautiful. Wish Patek made the case a little smaller.

1618889000528.jpeg

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pendulum is swinging back though so it;'s only a matter of time. I read on WSJ that JLC is working on a 36mm moonphase? But I could not find any other info than that.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Patek nailed this one. It will be interesting to see how it looks in other combinations in the future. Bummer about the size, though, for sure.

The only thing about the size is that it seems like the dial pretty much has to be that big due to the complication. I guess that makes it better. And lugs seem small.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing about the size is that it seems like the dial pretty much has to be that big due to the complication. I guess that makes it better. And lugs seem small.

Yeah, looks like the whole movement would need to be scaled down to go for a smaller case. I kinda like the size of the lugs. Maybe that will help it wear better? But maybe the small lugs will make it actually look bigger on the wrist. Hopefully I can try it on soon.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this new limited edition Sinn 144 chronograph?

sinn
sinn

I go back and forth on whether I like the typical Sinn aesthetic. This one is borderline too tacticool, but there's something about it I sort of like. MSRP is $3,470, 41mm, limited edition of 600.

I like some of the Sinn designs. A long time ago a friend had a Bell & Ross when they were still made by Sinn and it was a nice watch. I would be careful of black cases, only to the degree not everyone has a great handle on how to make a black case that will wear well and not chip or look terrible after a few years of wear and tear. Cartier is one of the few that has gotten it right with their ADLC coated watches. They seem to wear incredibly well over time. Personally, if going for a Sinn, I'd rather have a steel or titanium watch.

I also agree with @mak1277 that I'd probably rather have an old Porsche Design (back from when they were made by IWC).

I’ve had a local Ben Bridge handle shipping ...Just make sure if you go this route that the AD is *solid* and they’re not trying to pull off some “in-house” servicing in lieu of actually sending it to Rolex.

That's the main issue if using an AD for sending the watch for service. I won't mention names, but a friend wanted the store where he purchased a Breitling to send his watch to Breitling for service. When he picked the watch up, it wasn't keeping time well, the polishing job was terrible. He got a lot of push back from the store about complaints about the polishing. Finally, he called Breitling to complain, and they had no record of his watch coming in for service. So one has to be very careful and be sure that the watch is truly going to the company's service center.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think the black Sinn watches are GTG. They tegiment(harden) the surface before applying PVD.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some of the Sinn designs. A long time ago a friend had a Bell & Ross when they were still made by Sinn and it was a nice watch. I would be careful of black cases, only to the degree not everyone has a great handle on how to make a black case that will wear well and not chip or look terrible after a few years of wear and tear. Cartier is one of the few that has gotten it right with their ADLC coated watches. They seem to wear incredibly well over time. Personally, if going for a Sinn, I'd rather have a steel or titanium watch.
Yeah, the more I look at it the more I think it looks too tacticool, although I do like the dial. It probably looks a lot better on some kind of sporty rubber or perlon strap rather than that black bracelet.

After having seen the above watch on some other site, I browsed the Sinn website and was surprised at the number of different watches they produce, as well as the different styles. On the Internet, I think 95% of the Sinns I see people posting are some variant of the 556. One in particular intrigued me, the 1736 Classic:

x1736-Classic_V.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OuSdlTnmme.webp

I almost never like Roman numerals on my watches, but this watch is very interesting to me.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sinn makes great watches. Although due to their recent popularity, the lineup has been diluted and prices have gone up.

I have a U1 for 12+ years and it still looks brand new. Uboat steel is the real deal.

Their dress watches are underrated, I was able to pickup a 6000 (before they switched to Selita) when I was at their old location at Frankfurt.

zYFo5xb.jpg

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to love Sinn but the thickness of their watches (similar to the Omega Planet Oceans) becomes an issue for me. That special edition looks to come in at 14.5. A few mm thinner and I would like it so much more.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to love Sinn but the thickness of their watches (similar to the Omega Planet Oceans) becomes an issue for me. That special edition looks to come in at 14.5. A few mm thinner and I would like it so much more.

On the Sinn topic, I have a tegimented 856 UTC, it served me well as my daily wearer for a year in Iraq. It is currently on a tegimented bracelet, but I am thinking about moving it to leather strap with deployment buckle.

The Sinn is significantly thinner (11mm) than my Planet Ocean (16mm?) which was my welcome home present to myself for getting home with all limbs, fingers and toes.

Edited to add that I know there are thicker Sinn models, but many of the x56 (556, 856, etc) are in the 11mm range.

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Sinn topic, I have a tegimented 856 UTC, it served me well as my daily wearer for a year in Iraq. It is currently on a tegimented bracelet, but I am thinking about moving it to leather strap with deployment buckle.

The Sinn is significantly thinner (11mm) than my Planet Ocean (16mm?) which was my welcome home present to myself for getting home with all limbs, fingers and toes.

Edited to add that I know there are thicker Sinn models, but many of the x56 (556, 856, etc) are in the 11mm range.
Thank I will take a look at those.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think the black Sinn watches are GTG. They tegiment (harden) the surface before applying PVD.
They do, as does Damasko, so the finish is theoretically more resistant to wear. The black cases themselves do seem OK, until of course someone claims their slightly "brassed" case is even better because the case is now..."patinated!", but the black bracelets is really where the wear can get ugly quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads