• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear this watch almost every day. I switch to others every now and then to mix it up, but this is my go-to every morning when I reach inside the winder.
View attachment 1596127

Great watch!

But you also make a point I subscribe to (if I am properly parsing your comment), which I don't see mentioned too often: Switching watches at different points in the day.

I very frequently start out the day with one watch and end the day with another (in fact, I'd say this is by far the norm rather than exception...)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great watch!

But you also make a point I subscribe to (if I am properly parsing your comment), which I don't see mentioned too often: Switching watches at different points in the day.

I very frequently start out the day with one watch and end the day with another (in fact, I'd say this is by far the norm rather than exception...)
For sure. I always have a mud-day or evening switch, especially since COVID started. It’s fun that way.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Your winder for that watch must be more complex than the ones I recall seeing.
Funny enough, both my Reverso and Speedy are on the same winder. I just set those slots to static, so they don’t spin at all. Just a way to store everything in one place.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of winders - is there a common brand recommendation?
Orbita is the standard. I have one but never use it. It's easier to wind and set a watch I want to wear for the day. In my opinion, a winder only makes sense for a perpetual/annual calendar watch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a cheap one off of Amazon that cost me like $50 for 2 slots with multiple speed settings and rotates clockwise and anticlockwise.

A lot of people recommend Wolf but they are really expensive.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought an Orbita Sparta single when they first launched in the early 00's. They offered a discount to TZ members. It lasted almost 5 years and when it died, Orbita sent me a replacement when I asked about fixing it. That one lasted 10 years. I've since purchased a double Sparta battery winder and another single from their sale section. Like @George Red, I store the manual wind on the winder but it doesn't rotate.

It rotates once every 10 minutes, then rocks back and forth a few times due to a weighted rotor on the back.

IMG_6455.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "baby alligator" was an attempt to identify the feature that @venessian didn't like about the watch he posted a few pages ago. The clue he gave was 'b', although I never figured out what the 'b' meant, even after he revealed the offending feature.

The post you refer to above was a bastardised quote from the Duke of Edinburgh. Replace "feel free to use its skin for your watch strap" with "the Cantonese will eat it" for its original form.
You are right, thanks for the reminder. When I posted the answer I should have added that the "b" stood for "balance" (between the visual size (the actual size being the same) of the 2 sub-dials).

Also, I agree with you regarding exotic skins, not only on watch straps. But sadly I have not always abided by that philosophy, although as time goes on the few exotic straps I have are now my least favorite.

On this watch, even with the two Nomos straps (not exotics, Nomos' Shell Cordovan), I returned an unused $$$ blue croco strap and really do far prefer the Eulit Kristall 99% of the time (+: year-round warm-weather climate helps ;-) in lieu of the croco) on it.

2019-08-16_Nomos Zurich Blaugold 822 + Minimatikal.JPG

2019-08-23_Nomos Zurich Blaugold 822_If 6 Was 9_03.jpg

Wow. He (Philip, DoE) really said that? :eek2:

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a cheap one off of Amazon that cost me like $50 for 2 slots with multiple speed settings and rotates clockwise and anticlockwise.

A lot of people recommend Wolf but they are really expensive.
What are the ones that look like metal "trees" (a tall center rod with maybe 6 "branches" holding watches) that I see in repair shops, which move each branch individually? I would never buy any winder for the few watches I have, I just wind or wear every day, but those look more interesting to me than the standard winder/storage box. I have no idea though if those shop winders are only for short-term regulating use and not really for daily long-term winding.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the ones that look like metal "trees" (a tall center rod with maybe 6 "branches" holding watches) that I see in repair shops, which move each branch individually?
I'm not too sure. I've never seen what you're talking about.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure. I've never seen what you're talking about.
I don't know either. The ones in the shop I go to look a bit like these, and I have seen them in other shops as well. I'll ask him next time I'm in.

images

Circulating-watch-winder-for-6-watches-39389_b_0.JPG

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed to try one on a few weeks back. I like the look of the watch since it's completely different than other SS luxury watches but you're right. The watch is just too big and the bracelet felt really chunky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads