• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a different level of consumption and purpose. To make an analogy in your field, whilst most people today would prefer a nice Renaissance Revival pastiche, it is the Gehry train crashes that will make it to the history and coffee table books and be referred to as art, Roger Scruton notwithstanding*. This is not mind you to say that the art world can be devoid of classicism, it's just that the classic space is already taken and novelty has to be mined on the boundaries. If you want a prime example in the watch world look up Arnold Putra on Instagram.

I'm aware my analogy is imperfect: where does one fit Foster + Partners? I guess you can do something more mainstream if you are yourself so established that the projects bring the meaning not through novelty but through their global identity, history and context (Reichstag) or once-in-a-generation scale (Millau). But this does not explain Santiago Calatrava.

* a long time ago I talked to the founding partner of a civil engineering firm, firmly in the Scruton camp, who pretended not to understand why a professional engineer would willingly work at a place like Arup when they could be lovingly crafting marble spiral staircases. He had to pay the bills so I think the 9th floor of their office was dedicated to skyscrapers and other "incomprehensible" projects. He drew an analogy with Beethoven 5 being built with just a few motives, but as a contemporary music composing and playing musician who hadn't yet read Scruton and his ilk, I couldn't help but think about how innovative and shocking Beethoven was for his time.
I honestly have no idea at all what you are talking about up there. Yes architecture is my field (neither here nor there really in this context); nonetheless I still cannot make any sense of what you were trying to get across.

I find the engraved Rolex hideous, as I did the 14-shades-of-blue 575M I saw. An ugly destruction of a nice watch, and an enormous waste of money from someone who clearly has mounds of it to waste. And yet, still: chacun à son déchets, period, end of story.

That's all, nothing more complicated than that, and certainly nothing to connect with such immense generalizations regarding some "statement on architecture". Perhaps something was lost in translation? Or you were trying to state something else entirely?

:puzzled:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A manually rotating bezel is pretty low tech and less interesting vs a chrono. My attention deficit disorder needs more stimulation than a rotating bezel.

Right, pushing a chrono button, by contrast, is super high tech entertainment! Haha... ;-)

(Don't get me wrong...I love using my chronos...just find fiddling with dive bezels equally amusing from a more tactile, haptic pont of view...)

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A manually rotating bezel is pretty low tech and less interesting vs a chrono. My attention deficit disorder needs more stimulation than a rotating bezel.
Right, pushing a chrono button, by contrast, is super high tech entertainment! Haha... ;-)

(Don't get me wrong...I love using my chronos...just find fiddling with dive bezels equally amusing from a more tactile, haptic point of view...)
What about fiddling with a chronograph which has NO operable dedicated buttons/pushers other than the crown, made by an interesting and very small (husband and wife only) small-town Carinthian manufacture? Fool your friends with your stealthy sleight-of-hand! Plus, semi-occluded dials, beautifully done! :wink:

Habring² Chrono COS*

* "The Crown Operation System, short COS, stands for Habring²'s exclusive patented world novelty. It means a chronograph which is operable completely without pushers, buttons or other operating devices. In order to activate the classic stop-function the well known and well tried crown is sufficient - the crown only needs to be turned around against easily felt resistances."

Habring2 Chrono COS_02.jpg

Habring2 Chrono COS_03.jpg

Habring2 Chrono COS_01.jpg

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Habrings referenced above seem like very cool people, a wonderful couple. Tough people, too. This is a very interesting lecture, covering from the beginnings to ETA and the entire "SwatchGroup greed/monopoly" impact on smaller manufactures over time; small-market economics and production as positive developments from what were initial fears; design improvement, sustainable processes and responsible relationships; etc. Very educational, presented extremely clearly. Well worth watching imo.

ronscuba

Reaction score
If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, feel free to use its skin for your watch strap.

DofE RIP
Your above post is a little confusing. Your previous post was a baby alligator was murdered for a watch strap. You are against any kind of animal skin/leather for watch straps ? What about shoes ?

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is super. Is it an older reference (no idea of the number, sorry) without ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the rehaut? I've looked at one of these previously.

Thank you. Yes, it’s a ref. 16600 from 2004 with a plain rehaut. Similar dimensions to a Sub of the same age, just a little thicker, rather than the considerably larger modern version.

an draoi

Reaction score
Your above post is a little confusing. Your previous post was a baby alligator was murdered for a watch strap. You are against any kind of animal skin/leather for watch straps ? What about shoes ?
The "baby alligator" was an attempt to identify the feature that @venessian didn't like about the watch he posted a few pages ago. The clue he gave was 'b', although I never figured out what the 'b' meant, even after he revealed the offending feature.

The post you refer to above was a bastardised quote from the Duke of Edinburgh. Replace "feel free to use its skin for your watch strap" with "the Cantonese will eat it" for its original form.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Your winder for that watch must be more complex than the ones I recall seeing.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Your winder for that watch must be more complex than the ones I recall seeing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads