• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like your "I'm-completely-honest-about-my athletic-prowess-even-on-the-internet" style.
Well, I;m about to go shoot some hoops (I do pushups, random bro lifts and shoot some baskets on my rest days), and I'm hoping to get over 50%, which is a really good day for me, so... it's not like I can fool myself. I'll try my best, and I try to use as good form as possible, but a career in the NBA, or even the Caltech basketball team, was never in the cards.

ronscuba

Reaction score
That is very nice. I generally really like Oris watches and the story of yours made me curious.

1) I had no idea that a "whale shark" was an actual thing (I thought just a combination of two ocean-animal terms in Oris-lingo)...and "the largest non-cetacean animal in the world" to boot, until just now after reading your post. Thanks for the window onto new knowledge, both horological and animal!

2) Equally positive is the fact that the dial is not actual whale shark skin, and that Oris seem very committed to the environmental cause and issues. From Hodinkee: "Basically, it's a cool watch made to help save a very big fish – what's not to like?" Love it.

Bravo on the whale sharks, on Oris, and on you. ?
OK, not about watches, but since you mentioned not knowing about whale sharks.

Here is a whale shark pic and video in the wild in Galapagos I was lucky to get real close with my video camcorder.

387711_120537704767900_921839089_n.jpg

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is kind of crazy how big these things are and yet they are so gentle.

I edited my post, wrote the link in manually. That might work better for you.
I can't watch the video either. It says, "Sorry, we couldn’t find that page".

The photo is awesome.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ronscuba The video works now. Incredible. Thanks for sharing.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is kind of crazy how big these things are and yet they are so gentle.

I edited my post, wrote the link in manually. That might work better for you.
Yes, perfect now, thanks much. That thing is amazing, incredibly beautiful, and so calm, peaceful. It must have felt incredible to have been in its presence. Really great stuff man! ?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
OK, not about watches, but since you mentioned not knowing about whale sharks.

Here is a whale shark pic and video in the wild in Galapagos I was lucky to get real close with my video camcorder.

View attachment 1595480

I'm super jealous. I would love to meet one of them.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes, perfect now, thanks much. That thing is amazing, incredibly beautiful, and so calm, peaceful. It must have felt incredible to have been in its presence. Really great stuff man! ?
Thanks. I know it sounds corny, but being so close to something so big in the wild, changes you.

Anyway, back to watches. I do not do any kind of racing, but I have several chronographs. Strangely, I cannot bring myself to buy a dive watch.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chronographs are fun. (I have five.) It's the only complication other than the prohibitively expensive minute repeater that allows the wearer to interact actively with the watch.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Chronographs are fun. (I have five.) It's the only complication other than the prohibitively expensive minute repeater that allows the wearer to interact actively with the watch.
Agreed. I have 3. Besides being fun to use, I like the look. Dive watches ? Uh, rotating bezel and 300m depth rating. Like, what am I going to do with that ? I guess being a diver, dive watches are silly to me. But my logic is flawed since I have 3 chronos. LOL.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's something a little different than what is usually posted here.

Went to AD on April 7 to put my name on a list for the new 36mm Explorer and look around. I'd had my eye out for a while for a new summer/weekend/beach watch. I randomly stumbled across the Oris Aquis Whale Shark Limited Edition and thought it looked really cool and ticked a lot of boxes for me. Well went I went to my AD, they had one in the display case. I glanced at it, but was in a bit of a hurry since I was chatting with the owner about other stuff and had some things to finish at the office.

I came back on the 9th to look at the new Tudor releases that they had received, and finally tried on the Whale Shark. Loved it. Decided to think about it since it wasn't a planned purchase. Came back the following Tuesday (this week) and bought it.

Really liking it so far for exactly what I bought it for. If the weather holds up tomorrow I'll head out to the beach with it. The whale shark-skin dial is cool to see up close, but it isn't in your face. The 43.5mm case doesn't wear as big as I thought it would, and honestly for the times I'll be wearing this watch I don't particularly care if it's a little on the large side. I also like that some of the proceeds go to an environmental cause like other of Oris's LE watches.

X6CRgrN.jpg

AMedGKO.jpg

i9DfTrl.jpg

Looks great! Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahem.

71nF3CtJh5L._AC_UY550_.jpg

But seriously there are a few others in the mechanical realm that aren’t too expensive. My Nomos GMT has an awesome plunger driven complication to advance the time zones. The GLC Memovoxes have alarms. I’m surprised there aren’t more alarm watches given that it’s one of the most useful complications (other than date of course). It’s not visible which is probably why it’s so rare.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I have 3. Besides being fun to use, I like the look. Dive watches ? Uh, rotating bezel and 300m depth rating. Like, what am I going to do with that ? I guess being a diver, dive watches are silly to me. But my logic is flawed since I have 3 chronos. LOL.

Timing bezel on a dive watch is basically just as useful as the Chrono feature. I use my timing bezel almost every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads