• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I take issue with his repeated attempts to define virtue objectively based on his exact subjective preferences or qualities. I don’t take any issue with nerds looking to learn more about style (for ***** sake, I’ve been posting here almost 15 years) nor do I take issue with people who go about it in other ways.

Yet, you are perfectly fine declaring that Kris Kross has effortless style without substantiation or validation or more generally that style does not benefit from effort or education. It’s all there in your original post.

Of course, I seek to define aesthetic and stylistic virtue. That goes to the very foundation of why we’re all here. But certain folks would rather be the ones dictating the narrative.

Am I wrong? Then why are you in “The Watch Appreciation Thread” without anything to say or share about watches?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously. We are talking to other enthusiasts on a menswear forum. Steve McQueen wouldn’t be here.

I think at this point I’ve made myself clear and the only one who misunderstands me is doing so on purpose or out of a painful lack of self awareness. This will be my last post on this topic.

I take issue with his repeated attempts to define virtue objectively based on his exact subjective preferences or qualities. I don’t take any issue with nerds looking to learn more about style (for ***** sake, I’ve been posting here almost 15 years) nor do I take issue with people who go about it in other ways.
Maybe not Steve McQueen, but nearly definitely someone like Quentin Tarantino. It takes a certain personality type to be able to obsess about something beyond there point at which most reasonable people are more than satisfied. I’m definitely like that. I’ve been sharpening knives lately, and I’m blessed and cursed with obsessiveness mixed with 20/15 vision up close. It means that I can see flaws in an edge that most would need a loupe to see. Result are some very sharp knives and maybe some nights with a bit of sleep deprivation.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7B75760A-23B1-4829-A265-FDBD4E1528DF.jpeg

I’ve been wearing my Submariner a lot these days and thus decided to throw my Tudor on a nato so as to create more difference (in feel, appearance...) between the two watches. I know I could simply decide to part with either the Tudor or the Sub and swap out bands on the watch I keep, but I really love having both in my collection.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at green straps for mine. My wife likes the grey because she can wear it with either black or earthier toned outfits.

Think of it this way.......the right combo should be able to stand on its own legs and will match anything you wear. For example, your wife's watch on a black alligator strap will always match whatever she wears.

This is route I went with my RG Tank.......I considered many options before landing on shiny black alligator (matte did not look as good as I thought). And it matches anything I could think of in terms of clothing choices.

Keep up posted!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe not Steve McQueen, but nearly definitely someone like Quentin Tarantino. It takes a certain personality type to be able to obsess about something beyond there point at which most reasonable people are more than satisfied. I’m definitely like that. I’ve been sharpening knives lately, and I’m blessed and cursed with obsessiveness mixed with 20/15 vision up close. It means that I can see flaws in an edge that most would need a loupe to see. Result are some very sharp knives and maybe some nights with a bit of sleep deprivation.

100%

Maybe there are some folks out there who are so naturally talented at knife sharpening that there is not one bit of information or discussion that could make them better at it. But why assume that? Particularly if we are in the midst of discussing knife sharpening? Better to proceed on the assumption that learning and discussing is worthwhile regardless of perceived talent level.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She already had a Reverso. Also, to make the pair “even”, the Cartier felt like a better thematic match (i.e. the Tank is as iconic a women’s watch as the Calatrava is a men’s watch). thanks

I do like the strap on that Cartier. Wear it causally and swap it out for black for evenings.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we’ve delved deeply into the idea of a two-watch collection. Of course, happy to continue down that path, but what about my other question about his and hers watches?

What is your notion of an ideal pair of watches for a couple? The only caveat is that it not be a literally matching pair (e.g. two Datejusts or two Reversos).

To start off, here are our 10-year anniversary watches:

View attachment 1595247

Love that Patek, just wish the case wasn’t so over polished.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, we’ve delved deeply into the idea of a two-watch collection. Of course, happy to continue down that path, but what about my other question about his and hers watches?

What is your notion of an ideal pair of watches for a couple? The only caveat is that it not be a literally matching pair (e.g. two Datejusts or two Reversos).

To start off, here are our 10-year anniversary watches:

View attachment 1595247

I get buying a his and hers set of watches. It's not my thing, but I understand it. I don't know, to me a complimentary pair doesn't really mean much. No one looking at that pair would think you bought them to commemorate anything unless you actually told them. They are simply two white metal watches with white dials. You could buy two random watches, and have the same effect. Still both are nice very nice watches to celebrate your anniversary.

I know someone questioned the diamonds, and yes you lose a bit of purity of the Tanks lines. Still I think the diamonds work pretty well on the Tank (far better than on a lot of other ladies watches).

Not a fan of the straps on either of them...yes, earthy and neutral, but a bit bland and I don't think either color does much for them. I like the idea someone mentioned about green or navy straps. Years ago a friend had a white gold tank on a dark green strap and it looked great.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100%

Maybe there are some folks out there who are so naturally talented at knife sharpening that there is not one bit of information or discussion that could make them better at it. But why assume that? Particularly if we are in the midst of discussing knife sharpening? Better to proceed on the assumption that learning and discussing is worthwhile regardless of perceived talent level.
I don't presume to be following every single argument around here, but I do think that if one has those obsessive tendencies, and belongs to a subiculture with other obsessives, that it's valuable to step back and laugh at the absurditiy of the hobby. It's healthy for the ego to be able to step back and laugh at oneself, and keeps you in the "sane" circle.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my gf a Timex Snoopy watch I'm waiting for my Snoopy 50th Speedmaster watch. Also goes great with the beagle puppy.
My brother really wants a Snoopy Speedy. I don't really get it, but he is very Asian and lives in Toronto, and I am probably the most banana of my brothers, and live in Idaho.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Not a fan of the straps on either of them...yes, earthy and neutral, but a bit bland and I don't think either color does much for them. I like the idea someone mentioned about green or navy straps. Years ago a friend had a white gold tank on a dark green strap and it looked great.

The clothes I am wearing, their color and style can affect what watch I choose to wear. That includes the strap color and strap material. I know many here choose what watch to wear totally independent of their clothes, but since this is styleforum, wondering how many consciously think about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads