• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
You guys don’t like it when I argue or get wordy, but then you sloppily paraphrase me like this, it gets passed down as the truth, and I have to spend the rest of internet eternity answering to it. So, I call something like this out for purposefully misrepresenting me or not understanding my comments, and I get in trouble for that too.

There is no win here.

Your style of posting is not polite discussion, trying to be helpful or sharing opinion. You come across as combative, not open to opinions that differ from yours and generally condescending. Your posts do appear as if your motivation is to win vs enlightening people to think a different way.

You true personality might be different, but this is my perception of you based on how you post.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your style of posting is not polite discussion, trying to be helpful or sharing opinion. You come across as combative, not open to opinions that differ from yours and generally condescending. Your posts do appear as if your motivation is to win vs enlightening people to think a different way.

You true personality might be different, but this is my perception of you based on how you post.

You’ve been around for, what, five months? To whom am I being impolite that has not been so to me? Are you in love with everyone else’s personality here? Why is mine yours or anyone else’s fixation?

Since you are relatively new here, I’d suggest you zoom-in on some of the folks to whom you think I’m being “impolite”. How many are here to talk about watches versus how many seem to have no reason to be in this thread other than to joust with me?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pairing is classic and hard to fault, although some of the details don’t work for me. I think the ice on the Tank really distracts from what is a flawless and iconic case design. Also, I’m sure there is a reason you went for a brown strap with your white gold Calatrava — what was it? For me it is aesthetically and conceptually incongruous. I guess for your particular lifestyle black would have been too formal? What about navy? I think you had a dark green strap on your Tank which I rather liked.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three’s a crowd.
F561DB8B-163A-4511-A0E4-F98A57E31CD0.jpeg

ronscuba

Reaction score
You’ve been around for, what, five months? To whom am I being impolite that has not been so to me? Are you in love with everyone else’s personality here? Why is mine yours or anyone else’s fixation?

Since you are relatively new here, I’d suggest you zoom-in on some of folks to whom you think I’m being “impolite”. How many are here to talk about watches versus how many seem to have no reason to be in this thread other than to joust with me?
As someone new, who does not know you or anyone else, my perceptions of you and your posts might be of interest or maybe not. You could say since I am new, I have a less biased opinion.

I am not trying to pick a fight. Just voicing my perceptions of you since you wrote you feel you are being misrepresented.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to belabor the fact, but it’s also true that we are all nerds. We are all here specifically to nerd out on things. Some of us happen to be stylish only by happy coincidence.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pairing is classic and hard to fault, although some of the details don’t work for me. I think the ice on the Tank really distracts from what is a flawless and iconic case design. Also, I’m sure there is a reason you went for a brown strap with your white gold Calatrava — what was it? For me it is aesthetically and conceptually incongruous. I guess for your particular lifestyle black would have been too formal? What about navy? I think you had a dark green strap on your Tank which I rather liked.

Interesting point about the diamonds on the Tank. On the one hand, I totally agree: the Tank (and maybe particularly the Louis Cartier) is best known for its form and so anything it’s a shame to detract from it in any way. I guess for our celebratory purposes, the diamonds felt appropriate. Also, I do think they integrate very well into the Tank’s branchards.

The strap on the Patek is sort of mushroomy, brownish grey. Funny you mention green—just last night I was playing around with configurators to order a green strap.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As someone new, who does not know you or anyone else, my perceptions of you and your posts might be of interest or maybe not. You could say since I am new, I have a less biased opinion.

I am not trying to pick a fight. Just voicing my perceptions of you since you wrote you feel you are being misrepresented.

Seems you don’t have any knowledge of any history here—so it is odd that you think you know how it would be appropriate for me to behave toward certain people.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well then in that case.....

JLC has some diamond bezeled reversos. Not sure if they’re mechanical or quartz. Another option.

She already had a Reverso. Also, to make the pair “even”, the Cartier felt like a better thematic match (i.e. the Tank is as iconic a women’s watch as the Calatrava is a men’s watch).

Last edited:

ronscuba

Reaction score
Seems you don’t have any knowledge of any history here—so it is odd that you think you know how it would be appropriate for me to behave toward certain people.
Trying to win again ? Agreed, you win, I do not know any history.

Just voicing how I perceive your posts. You can call my perceptions and opinions wrong and inaccurate because I am new.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, we’ve delved deeply into the idea of a two-watch collection. Of course, happy to continue down that path, but what about my other question about his and hers watches?

What is your notion of an ideal pair of watches for a couple? The only caveat is that it not be a literally matching pair (e.g. two Datejusts or two Reversos).

To start off, here are our 10-year anniversary watches:

View attachment 1595247
both would look better on darker straps IMO - like a shiny small-scale alligator strap. Or maybe dark navy...........

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to belabor the fact, but it’s also true that we are all nerds. We are all here specifically to nerd out on things. Some of us happen to be stylish only by happy coincidence.
Obviously. We are talking to other enthusiasts on a menswear forum. Steve McQueen wouldn’t be here.

I think at this point I’ve made myself clear and the only one who misunderstands me is doing so on purpose or out of a painful lack of self awareness. This will be my last post on this topic.

I take issue with his repeated attempts to define virtue objectively based on his exact subjective preferences or qualities. I don’t take any issue with nerds looking to learn more about style (for ***** sake, I’ve been posting here almost 15 years) nor do I take issue with people who go about it in other ways.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying to win again ? Agreed, you win, I do not know any history.

Just voicing how I perceive your posts. You can call my perceptions and opinions wrong and inaccurate because I am new.

My point is that people not knowing about something, but acting as if they do, are destructive to conversation.

both would look better on darker straps IMO - like a shiny small-scale alligator strap. Or maybe dark navy...........

I’m looking at green straps for mine. My wife likes the grey because she can wear it with either black or earthier toned outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads