• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Do you believe a person’s style can be improved by outside influences and ideas, such as what one might discuss on an internet forum? Then you don’t actually believe style is subjective.
No, I do not think that one's sense of style can be influenced by the opinion of others.
But influences can be adopted by those whom have seen something they like and are impressed enough to add said influence to their style skill set.

Style is something. But "subjective"? No,I would say it's an abstract construct.
They way we dress and adorn ourselves with trinkets either displays our own personality or it displays conformity to the point of a lack of individuality.
The need to adopt a uniform to "fit in" is a lack of style.
While the need to impress your choices upon others belies insecurity.

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
Yessir. It’s suede, from B & R Bands. 19 mm size, which can occasionally be more difficult to find. And yeah I have been quite pleased with it so far...it’s been in place for several months. I tend to rotate multiple watches (and even straps amongst those watches!) so it won't ever get super-heavy wear.

Still loving the Polerouter too ? The next combo I will probably try on that one is a vintage-style beads of rice.
Cool, I really like the look!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you are overcomplicating @UnFacconable's point. Consider the following statements:

"Patek is one of the best watch brands in the world for the following reasons."

"Patek is the best watch brand in the world for the following reasons and anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant and knows nothing about watches."

Statement #1 is something on which most people can agree and a useful jumping-off point for discussion. Statement #2 is opinion masquerading as absolute fact with an undertone of condescension.

smsodhi

Reaction score
Went to the shops and tried this on.
IMG_20210417_124330__01.jpg

smsodhi

Reaction score
What did you think of it?

I really liked it. Definitely one to add to my collection. This is the sapphire sandwich. They also had the heselite model with solid back. My preference is this one. I like the bracelet more in this version as it tapers. I'll have to find a way to add this to my growing list of must haves to the wife. So many watches so little time ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked it. Definitely one to add to my collection. This is the sapphire sandwich. They also had the heselite model with solid back. My preference is this one. I like the bracelet more in this version as it tapers. I'll have to find a way to add this to my growing list of must haves to the wife. So many watches so little time ?
On the 1861 Speedmasters, the hesalite was the overwhelming favorite for everyone. With the 3861 Speedmasters, it seems like it's 50/50 between hesalite vs sapphire sandwich. Omega really did a good job upselling the sapphire for the 3861.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Went to the shops and tried this on. View attachment 1595095

I tried this on recently as well. I think I noted here that the bracelet is a game changer. Previously, I would have wanted any modern Speedy on a strap, but this bracelet is so phenomenally comfortable and good-looking that it would be silly to pass it up.

On the 1861 Speedmasters, the hesalite was the overwhelming favorite for everyone. With the 3861 Speedmasters, it seems like it's 50/50 between hesalite vs sapphire sandwich. Omega really did a good job upselling the sapphire for the 3861.

I still prefer Hesalite. The all-brushed bracelet that comes with it is much more tool-like. Plus, I prefer a solid case back on this sort of watch, particularly given the history.

The only plus to me for the sapphire version is the applied Omega logo on the dial.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The bracelet tapers the exact same in both sapphire and Hesalite versions of the 3861. It’s the same bracelet—only difference is that the Hesalite version is entirely brushed. They must have showed you a 1861 Hesalite.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of you are overcomplicating @UnFacconable's point. Consider the following statements:

"Patek is one of the best watch brands in the world for the following reasons."

"Patek is the best watch brand in the world for the following reasons and anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant and knows nothing about watches."

Statement #1 is something on which most people can agree and a useful jumping-off point for discussion. Statement #2 is opinion masquerading as absolute fact with an undertone of condescension.

You guys don’t like it when I argue or get wordy, but then you sloppily paraphrase me like this, it gets passed down as the truth, and I have to spend the rest of internet eternity answering to it. So, I call something like this out for purposefully misrepresenting me or not understanding my comments, and I get in trouble for that too.

There is no win here.

As I’ve pointed out, if anyone really is reading thoughtfully: I’m not the one trying to play gatekeeper.

Moreover, @UnFacconable ‘s commentary about me disrupted what had been a friendly discussion about watch pairings. It came out of nowhere. He had nothing to say about the topic we were discussing, except that we are “nerds” for discussing it. He merely manifested to joust with me. And yet—of course—I’m the one always trying to make things about me, right?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, we’ve delved deeply into the idea of a two-watch collection. Of course, happy to continue down that path, but what about my other question about his and hers watches?

What is your notion of an ideal pair of watches for a couple? The only caveat is that it not be a literally matching pair (e.g. two Datejusts or two Reversos).

To start off, here are our 10-year anniversary watches:

3BCA4901-621A-4646-8175-47EC9BE3325A.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics