• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Foo, curious, what watches do you have that you intend to keep ?

My new watch. No thorough analysis or process to determine what is stylish, tasteful, etc. I like it, I bought it.

20210416_133453.jpg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the Cartier store last week buying a bracelet. I tried on a couple of watches; medium stainless with white dial and the large in two tone, white dial. The large definitely looked better on me, but I think I liked the full stainless model better. It is really a substantial, attractive watch. I will likely end up getting the large at some point. For the price you are getting a ton of value (resizable bracelet and removable bracelet, additional leather strap, etc)

If I end the year with a three watch collection (DJ41, Santos, and something like a Seamaster on rubber), I will be very happy

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the Cartier store last week buying a bracelet. I tried on a couple of watches; medium stainless with white dial and the large in two tone, white dial. The large definitely looked better on me, but I think I liked the full stainless model better. It is really a substantial, attractive watch. I will likely end up getting the large at some point. For the price you are getting a ton of value (resizable bracelet and removable bracelet, additional leather strap, etc)
Which model? Santos?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My new watch. No thorough analysis or process to determine what is stylish, tasteful, etc. I like it, I bought it.

View attachment 1594675

Oh wow thats awesome, where did you find it? I thought AP sold out like rolex...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow thats awesome, where did you find it? I thought AP sold out like rolex...
He might have gotten it from the AP boutique?

AP boutique allocations are a lot more fair than the Rolex and Patek allocations.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UnFacconable

I sympathise with some of what you're saying, but I do think there are at least two diametrically opposed approaches to style that can both work. Let's call them the effortless and the recherché. Either in its pure form would be an aberration as each needs elements of the other to work, but any stylish person I can think of is either predominantly effortless or predominantly recherché.

Having said that, I do agree that elaborate, ad hoc, unselfconsciously disingenuous rationalisations of middlebrow midtown bro taste are insufferable.
Just to be clear, I’ve never said that Foo’s approach (or others like him) is incorrect or even inferior. Just that it’s not exclusively correct. He has made the claim that his way is the only way. Because Foo.

I don’t take issue with people who choose to nerd out here (obviously) but I recognize that other people get their in their own ways. Maybe Steve McQueen spent all his time figuring out which mock turtleneck to buy, I honestly have no idea, but I’m sure there are plenty of style icons who didn’t get there the Duke of Windsor way.

Long story short I’m a big tent guy here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes - Santos. I do think the medium vs large is purely a wrist size / taste question (though I do kind of like the no date aspect of the medium)
I have a small wrist, but got the large. The Santos being curved, hugs the wrist. The look and style of the large on my wrist is kind of like a cuff.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show me wear I said that there was only one right answer.

Look we get it - you think everything is a battle and that only your currently chosen way is correct and everyone who has any other view is wrong. It’s tiresome and obviously naive but you have stuck to it for years.

It’s quite obvious that I am not being exclusionary. I rarely criticize other people’s subjective choices. There is plenty of room in the world and on this forum for people with varying views who arrive at those views in their own idiosyncratic ways. You seem to have trouble with that where almost no one else does. It’s a bizarrely authoritarian view on something so personal and trivial.

I will be honest: I didn’t make it to the rest of your post yet because you started off so hilariously and obviously wrong in a way that only you can. Peak Foo.

EDIT: read the rest. More obvious misunderstanding by you. I never said that education or refinement of views was incorrect. You said that it was the ONLY way. Which is quite obviously incorrect. There are many ways to achieve desired outcomes here. As to your view that your changing tastes are evidence of your virtue: you are completely missing the point. At each step of the journey you have tried to claim the objective high ground on a subjective issue. Everyone can see that, except perhaps you.

Mafoofan vs TheFoo would be worth the effort to figure out time travel

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... wow. Holy false dichotomy Batman. A person can have a natural aptitude to be stylish, and that can also be improved through education and knowledge. A person can also be terrible at it, no matter how much time and energy they have put into it, or how much they know about fashion (writ large).

I’m awful at basketball. Love it, but objectively terrible. I practice free throws all the time, I spent time learning from a guy who is in the Guinness book of world records for them. I still suck. Other sports, I have some aptitude for, and formal education has made me better. Good, by most standards, even. But occasionally, there is some kid who learns better and faster, and all the tricks in the book don’t help me. This is just life.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... wow. Holy false dichotomy Batman. A person can have a natural aptitude to be stylish, and that can also be improved through education and knowledge. A person can also be terrible at it, no matter how much time and energy they have put into it, or how much they know about fashion (writ large).

I'm afraid I don't agree. If someone has a style of the effortless type, then if they overthink it they sort of ruin it. If someone is the recherché type, they shouldn't go with uneducated whims too often, for the same reason. As I said, each type needs a hint of the other, so there is room for growth and cultivation on the effortless side, and room for raw impulses on the recherché side, but I do think the types are at opposite ends of a spectrum, and that the middle of that spectrum is mostly unstylish territory.

But there's a twist: I do think it's possible to start on one end of the spectrum and then, after many years of experience, end up on the other. That's the story we often hear about a long journey that leads to a simple, instinctive style. It's most often a recherché-to-effortless trajectory, but the opposite is also possible: think of someone who over time learns about the finer points of something they initially just happened to like on a whim, etc. It's like losing a ladder after climbing it.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1594675

Congrats! That's one of my favorite ROs. Hope it brings you many years of enjoyment! :cheers:

I also went with the large Santos, but chose the blue dial. I'm really happy with it and I think its a great value for what it has to offer. If you get the large size, you can also add the rubber strap from the ADLC version to wear in the summer. I'm not really into rubber straps on watches, but I do like this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads