• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re wearing a brown sport coat over a Texas tuxedo?
Well... is it a Texas tuxedo if you wear a brown sport coat to interrupt the flow of denim? I assumed no, which is why I went ahead. In retrospect, could have made better decisions when dressing myself this morning.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well... is it a Texas tuxedo if you wear a brown sport coat to interrupt the flow of denim? I assumed no, which is why I went ahead. In retrospect, could have made better decisions when dressing myself this morning.

I rarely wear pants these days, so who am I to judge?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In any event, great pick up on the watch. Its one a the few in the Rolex line up that I would actually be interested in getting. It would probably go Pepsi, then a blue dial datejust. In 41mm. I hear those are gettable these days...

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any event, great pick up on the watch. Its one a the few in the Rolex line up that I would actually be interested in getting. It would probably go Pepsi, then a blue dial datejust. In 41mm. I hear those are gettable these days...
Thanks, dude.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Woah. Easy there. I'm all for jokes, but calling me a liar is just not cool.

To be clear, I’m upset that you got a second watch after the flipping the first one.

To be even more clear, I’m upset that you are lying and it never happened.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, no. Can’t see it here, but I’m wearing a brown sport coat. So, it kind of breaks it up.
The Pepsi saves the day again! Makes even a Texas Canadian tuxedo look cool.

Do you have any other GMT variations?

I'll be honest, I thought the big reveal was going to be either the IWC you were talking about the other day/week, or (once I saw the Rolex box) the meteorite Daytona, which would be even more baller since as far as I know they haven't even been shipped to ADs yet.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsupported claim.

Another unsupported claim, combined with a startling failure in logic.

What is more exclusionary: (1) believing that style is honed through education and refinement or (2) believing that style is not improvable and only optimally expressed by certain people (who the believer himself has designated)?

Show me wear I said that there was only one right answer.

Look we get it - you think everything is a battle and that only your currently chosen way is correct and everyone who has any other view is wrong. It’s tiresome and obviously naive but you have stuck to it for years.

It’s quite obvious that I am not being exclusionary. I rarely criticize other people’s subjective choices. There is plenty of room in the world and on this forum for people with varying views who arrive at those views in their own idiosyncratic ways. You seem to have trouble with that where almost no one else does. It’s a bizarrely authoritarian view on something so personal and trivial.

I will be honest: I didn’t make it to the rest of your post yet because you started off so hilariously and obviously wrong in a way that only you can. Peak Foo.

EDIT: read the rest. More obvious misunderstanding by you. I never said that education or refinement of views was incorrect. You said that it was the ONLY way. Which is quite obviously incorrect. There are many ways to achieve desired outcomes here. As to your view that your changing tastes are evidence of your virtue: you are completely missing the point. At each step of the journey you have tried to claim the objective high ground on a subjective issue. Everyone can see that, except perhaps you.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear, I’m upset that you got a second watch after the flipping the first one.

To be even more clear, I’m upset that you are lying and it never happened.
43EC289E-1C43-48F3-A845-CAF3D54F9A1E.gif

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pepsi saves the day again! Makes even a Texas Canadian tuxedo look cool.

Do you have any other GMT variations?

I'll be honest, I thought the big reveal was going to be either the IWC you were talking about the other day/week, or (once I saw the Rolex box) the meteorite Daytona, which would be even more baller since as far as I know they haven't even been shipped to ADs yet.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated. I’m on deck for the first 43mm Big Pilot that comes in, as well as the meteorite Daytona. Literally told my AD that I’d cry if I didn’t get the first one. Actual tears.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, man. Much appreciated. I’m on deck for the first 43mm Big Pilot that comes in, as well as the meteorite Daytona. Literally told my AD that I’d cry if I didn’t get the first one. Actual tears.
Playing the sympathy card to be first in line for a Rolex, huh?

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em. - Bold Move  Cotton - quickmeme

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Show me wear I said that there was only one right answer.

Look we get it - you think everything is a battle and that only your currently chosen way is correct and everyone who has any other view is wrong. It’s tiresome and obviously naive but you have stuck to it for years.

It’s quite obvious that I am not being exclusionary. I rarely criticize other people’s subjective choices. There is plenty of room in the world and on this forum for people with varying views who arrive at those views in their own idiosyncratic ways. You seem to have trouble with that where almost no one else does. It’s a bizarrely authoritarian view on something so personal and trivial.

I will be honest: I didn’t make it to the rest of your post yet because you started off so hilariously and obviously wrong in a way that only you can. Peak Foo.

Actually, we were all having a nice conversation about watch pairings until you showed up to argue that we are just “nerds” and real style would shoot out of Kris Kross’s asses in their sleep.

I guess not surprising for someone who doesn’t ever read the whole thing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UnFacconable

I sympathise with some of what you're saying, but I do think there are at least two diametrically opposed approaches to style that can both work. Let's call them the effortless and the recherché. Either in its pure form would be an aberration as each needs elements of the other to work, but any stylish person I can think of is either predominantly effortless or predominantly recherché.

Having said that, I do agree that elaborate, ad hoc, unselfconsciously disingenuous rationalisations of middlebrow midtown bro taste are insufferable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics