• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

View attachment 1593694

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

View attachment 1593696

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

View attachment 1593699

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

View attachment 1593700

I'd say this is "ok but not ideal". I feel like I prefer cut off numbers over the shrunken numbers from FPJ for example.

I'll admit though that the 1815 u/d is one of my favorite watches, and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute even though there are both cut off and omitted numbers.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

View attachment 1593694

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

View attachment 1593696

View attachment 1593699

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

View attachment 1593700
It doesn’t really bother me to be honest. I’d hate my Hamilton if that were the case, the 9, 3 and 6 are all occluded.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visual style wise, the 3 are similar. If you only wear the GMT on the OEM bracelet, I would probably leave the others on straps that are diferent. Brown leather and black alligator for example.

Agreed, however I look at my rotation in terms of aesthetics and function. I fine the purpose driven aspect of tool watches appealing so even if they look similarly (black dial, SS case), I get a lot of enjoyment out of each watch for different reasons.

I understand completely how many collectors would feel differently and would desire different looking watches for variety. I just happen to fill the need for variety from their intended use in addition to case finish and dial color. I could see owning my 116710LN and an 116600 SD and find both very different even on the same oyster bracelet.

That said, the Pelagos on a strap looks and works great to me. It resides on this strap much of the time.
DSC00637.jpg
DSC00645.jpg

I've only worn the Speedy on the bracelet so far but it came on a cool OEM motorsport looking strap.

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-31132403002001-gallery-3-large.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate number occlusion. Pet peeve, actually. But I’m totally fine with dial occlusion (I guess on the Lange 1 it’s really dial ‘overlap’)

Is that the 39.5mm PO? I've been considering it, especially since I have 6in wrists and the 39.5mm has a ~45mm lug-to-lug.
It’s 42mm. My wrist is 7” and it still fits a bit big. The casing edge/bracelet beginning lines up exactly with my wrist edges, but the case height does make it a large-wearing watch. This is purely a guess, but I think you could be fine with the width, but hate the height if you don’t like watches that look large. I’m personally fine with it.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Agreed, however I look at my rotation in terms of aesthetics and function. I fine the purpose driven aspect of tool watches appealing so even if they look similarly (black dial, SS case), I get a lot of enjoyment out of each watch for different reasons.

I understand completely how many collectors would feel differently and would desire different looking watches for variety. I just happen to fill the need for variety from their intended use in addition to case finish and dial color. I could see owning my 116710LN and an 116600 SD and find both very different even on the same oyster bracelet.

That said, the Pelagos on a strap looks and works great to me. It resides on this strap much of the time. View attachment 1593782 View attachment 1593783

I've only worn the Speedy on the bracelet so far but it came on a cool OEM motorsport looking strap.

View attachment 1593784
The Speedy with the moto strap looks cool.

I have 3 chronos, but with different dial colors and straps. We each have our own motivations that drive our choices. If we all had the same taste, it would be boring.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two-watch topic draws me back into this thread:

this is my first and most honest answer. A bit of overlap but these are my favorite two watches. The diversity of casing is important to me, and the JLC world time complication served me well during my world traveling days (even though I know my iPhone would’ve done a 1000x better job)
View attachment 1593695

the JLC is also part of a his and hers combo, which I’ll take a pic once I get close enough to my wife’s arm today.

this is probably the more versatile two-watch combo, because it covers more of the casual/sporting range. Just use the aforementioned smartphone for world time.

View attachment 1593701

Coincidentally enough, my would be two watch collection is also the JLC Master Geographic and Lange 1.

I have essentially stopped wearing anything other than my Geographic. I have mine on a bracelet, and it's a black dial, so I'm afforded a bit more leeway when it comes to the casual/sporting range.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaaand here’s my his-and-hers entry. In full transparency, they aren’t a his-and-hers in the “aww let’s be disgusting and buy watches as a couple” sense. More like “hey since you bought a JLC I want one too” type of thing.

we (she) thought about being more matchy matchy with the strap/braceletbut that is where I drew the line.

B7ED995E-DBDB-4F7E-82F7-50AD6EDF518A.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current 2 watch rotation is my AP RO 15400 and Omega Seamaster 300m Pro preceramic wave dial. The Omega gets switched up quite often between strap and bracelet.

The Omega Speedmaster FOIS hasn't been getting much wear lately.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaand here’s my his-and-hers entry. In full transparency, they aren’t a his-and-hers in the “aww let’s be disgusting and buy watches as a couple” sense. More like “hey since you bought a JLC I want one too” type of thing.

we (she) thought about being more matchy matchy with the strap/braceletbut that is where I drew the line.

View attachment 1593797

Actually I didn't see it that way. I give kudos to any woman who wears a mechanical watch, let alone a manual wind. Most women I know just don't want to bother.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1593694

View attachment 1593696

View attachment 1593699

View attachment 1593700
Absolutely 99.9% of the time, yes, occluded dials = deal-killer. I find they have a bad super-graphics feel, even at such small scale, most of the time.

The Lange 1815 (which I think is generally gorgeous) looks innocuous at a glance, but then seeing it on the wrist the chopped 6 ultimately is irritating and insulting more than anything. I always want the seconds hand to just kick the 6 entirely off the dial.

Chopped 2-4-8-10s are even more awkward on 2+ sub-dial watches. The 2 Breitlings are bad, and the PP is a complete disaster imo. By comparison I think that the G-P posted above your post is much more coherent and elegant, regarding the numbers/dials only (other aspects of the design bother me).

Removing color, finish, texture, etc., entirely, I know which dials I would choose, and which I would lose.

Dornbluth dials.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads