• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, Nomos watches look like something found at Ikea. I've yet to really warm-up to them or even consider them viable in the realm of watches I typically like.

They're like the White Claw of watches :hide:

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nomos watches look like something at Ikea IMO, I've yet to really warm-up wot them or even consider them viable in the realm of watches I typically like.

They're like the White Claw of watches :hide:

Generally agreed. I do not enjoy that they look like an early 20th century Bauhaus clock shrunken down to fit on your wrist. The classic Calatrava is a more honest and successful expression of a Bauhaus wristwatch. As mentioned, they seem marketed to those who want to signal an interest or expertise in design or architecture.

That said the example that @pmeis shared is a standard. The light grey dial greatly softens the look and adds a lot of tonality to a design that otherwise tends to lack nuance.

C1F3AF49-B77F-42F6-ABE5-1956C386389D.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It warms my heart to see that Zenith kept the same size tonneau case for the Shadow and Revival watches that it used for the vintage A384/A385/A3817/A3818 watches instead of supersizing it to appeal to modern tastes. My wrist is just under 7" and I think my vintage A385 (37 mm) wears very nicely.

I hate to pile on Nomos, but their watches don't do anything for me either. I think it's the lugs that point straight out from the case. Then again I own a GO, which is even more hated by posters in this thread than Nomos, so my taste is suspect. :devil:

ronscuba

Reaction score
thanks man ?

I came into these because I pounced on respective opportunities. The tank I got a sick deal on and the sub was offered to me by my AD sooner than expected, although the timing was still right and so I pulled the trigger.

I have other watches and am trying to figure out the next move. Ideally, I want a 3-4 watch collection which will be my watch wardrobe. I'd like to add a 36MM DD to my collection but am not quite sure about which permutation.

This is in fact a nuanced proposition since many other watches could fit the bill. But like others have stated, the 2 in question are the archetypical models in our society. So do I veer from that or stay content?
Have you thought about adding some strap and/or bracelet variations ? Mesh bracelets, different color leathers, exotics like alligator, rustic thick leather, etc.. It can really open up the versatility.

For example, the Submariner with a casual brown leather strap is a totally different look and vibe.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, since I don't need a dress watch, my two watch collection consists of a no-date Sub and an IWC Mk XV, as they're both my favourite design in their respective catagories.

To me you have the perfect collection. Two iconic watches, no overlap.

I try to maintain a single watch in each tool watch category that I like. I can't do just two. For instance a diver, a pilot's chronograph and a GMT/dual timezone watch.

DSC01064.jpg

I'd consider giving up the Pelagos for an 116600 but the Pelagos fills the diver slot perfectly and I love the titanium. I also wear straps on all but the GMT so I can get a lot of mileage out of these three.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about adding some strap and/or bracelet variations ? Mesh bracelets, different color leathers, exotics like alligator, rustic thick leather, etc.. It can really open up the versatility.

For example, the Submariner with a casual brown leather strap is a totally different look and vibe.
I have, although the native design is so sound that most modifications ruin the look for me. But I can appreciate where you're coming from - a change in strap could potentially make the watch feel totally different - I did that on my RG Tank and it pops!

ronscuba

Reaction score
To me you have the perfect collection. Two iconic watches, no overlap.

I try to maintain a single watch in each tool watch category that I like. I can't do jus two. For instance a diver, a pilot's chronograph and a GMT/dual timezone watch.

View attachment 1593259

I'd consider giving up the Pelagos for an 116600 but the Pelagos fills the diver slot perfectly and I love the titanium. I also wear straps on all but the GMT so I can a lot of mileage out of these three.
Visual style wise, the 3 are similar. If you only wear the GMT on the OEM bracelet, I would probably leave the others on straps that are diferent. Brown leather and black alligator for example.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I have, although the native design is so sound that most modifications ruin the look for me. But I can appreciate where you're coming from - a change in strap could potentially make the watch feel totally different - I did that on my RG Tank and it pops!

The straps add variety until your collection grows. Just me. Depending on what clothes I am wearing, I might change the strap on my Speedmaster.

20210405_172539.jpg

20210320_163443.jpg

20210410_174838.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you are content.....I need to get there someday!
3 things help me with staying contend: First, I don't buy anything unless I really love it. Second, I'm extremely picky, which means that there are very few watches that I would actually like to own (and I wouldn't want to own more than maybe 5 anyway - I'm not a collector). And third, while a great deal of the pleasure for me is in the hunt and research for just the right thing, I've realised that even when that ends with a purchase, it only very shortly sates the desire for something new 'to hunt' - so unless it's something just right the purchase part becomes easy to just skip.

Any other want-to-haves?
As mentioned above, I'm way too specific in my taste to actually really like anything on offer at the moment (at least anything that I know of, but I enjoy searching). But to give an idea of the kind of thing I would want, if they only would make them right, I posted a wish list a week ago. Another to add to that list would be a Patek very similar to yours (is it automatic? It would have to be) and ideally, no date.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I have a four watch rotation, each of which I think fill a particular niche. Can’t imagine going above four, but I may at some point change them around
1. a JLC master ultra thin, moon phase in SS on a black alligator strap. Truly a beautiful watch. Wear it whenever I am wearing a suit. Sure I could upgrade it to a Calatrava but i just don’t feel the urge
2. a vintage JLC reverse duoface (classic size, so small) again SS on a tan alligator strap. My go to with a tweed sports coat. Has had a lot of wear during COVID. Again don’t feel it will ever need replacing
3. a two tone AP RO (14790SA) from the late 90s. At 36mm a perfect size for me, and I am enjoying the two tone vibes
4. an IWC Aquatimer tribute to Jacques Cousteau. Basically a beach holiday watch. This is the one most at risk of being replaced. But wear this type of watch so rarely I am disinclined to

Of course I see watches that I like all the time. But the bar is high. On the subject of women’s watches, my wife is largely disinterested - but she has a Chanel J12 (black ceramic) and a Bulgari Serpenti (rose gold, diamonds, red alligator). Nothing particularly well matched

ROT

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a four watch rotation, each of which I think fill a particular niche. Can’t imagine going above four, but I may at some point change them around
1. a JLC master ultra thin, moon phase in SS on a black alligator strap. Truly a beautiful watch. Wear it whenever I am wearing a suit. Sure I could upgrade it to a Calatrava but i just don’t feel the urge
2. a vintage JLC reverse duoface (classic size, so small) again SS on a tan alligator strap. My go to with a tweed sports coat. Has had a lot of wear during COVID. Again don’t feel it will ever need replacing
3. a two tone AP RO (14790SA) from the late 90s. At 36mm a perfect size for me, and I am enjoying the two tone vibes
4. an IWC Aquatimer tribute to Jacques Cousteau. Basically a beach holiday watch. This is the one most at risk of being replaced. But wear this type of watch so rarely I am disinclined to

Of course I see watches that I like all the time. But the bar is high. On the subject of women’s watches, my wife is largely disinterested - but she has a Chanel J12 (black ceramic) and a Bulgari Serpenti (rose gold, diamonds, red alligator). Nothing particularly well matched

ROT

The only one I have out of your collection is the MUT Moon. It doesn't get talked about very often but, at least in my view, it is one of the most unimpeachable dress watches released over the last decade or so. The only knock that I can think of, perhaps, is that it is relatively austere / cold - at least in SS.

As for my two-watch collection, I've had my MUT Moon and my Speedy for nearly a decade and they have kept me very happy. My orange monster also gets wear every now and then.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Orange Monster is a great beater! I bring it or my Swatch Sistem 51 on vacation because I don't like taking a nice watch to travel. Side note: I've never understood the concept of "making memories" with your watch. When I remember my past vacations, I don't remember what watch I was wearing any more than I remember what shirt or what shoes I was wearing. Food and drink are more evocative of memories for me.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to have only two:

- 60s Omega Tresor ultra thin in yellow gold (just because I inherited it, otherwise I'd keep the quartz one-hander I wear most days);

- A G-Shock square. I'm waiting for a matte titanium version without the gaudy colours or golden pushers to come out. I'd totally wear this with a suit (I even wear my resin one with a suit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads