• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have not been the biggest Nautilus fan, but then I tried one on. It feels amazing on the wrist. Something about the way the case sits just right, the relatively thin profile, and the suppleness of the bracelet. Now, whenever I see a Nautilus, I just remember that feel and secretly want one.

pmeis

Reaction score
Despite my recent purchase, out of what I have now, my two watch collection take would probably be the below. Even though it’s a sportier Tangente, at 36.5mm on the right leather strap, it‘ll work well enough for any dressier occasion I might have, while still having 100m wr allowing for utility all around. Then you just have the Shadow as the second watch basically because it’s awesome. Could sub out the Shadow for the new Hermes of course.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite my recent purchase, out of what I have now, my two watch collection take would probably be the below. Even though it’s a sportier Tangente, at 36.5mm on the right leather strap, it‘ll work well enough for any dressier occasion I might have, while still having 100m wr allowing for utility all around. Then you just have the Shadow as the second watch basically because it’s awesome. Could sub out the Shadow for the new Hermes of course.

What shadow is that? I thought it was in all black?!? That one looks awesome!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Shadow really is killer. I realize that all black, tactical-looking watches are very trendy right now, but this one has a timeless design and does not at all feel gimmicky. It just looks like a serious tool watch, somewhat reminiscent of the IWC 3705 in its black ceramic case. I can see this becoming a a classic.

I am not as big a fan of Nomos in general. I find their aesthetic very . . . specific. Often they feel like the sort of watch people buy when they want to very desperately signal that they are into design or architecture. That said, it’s a fantastic value for money. Also I really, really like the grey dial on yours, particularly combined with the white minute markers and darker grey strap. It’s really quite nice.

As a combo, I enjoy the greyscale theme. Both watches exhibit a lot of texture and layered detail that are highlighted by being monochromatic. This is a cool way to cohere your collection.

I would not dare lose either of these for the Hermes, particularly the Shadow.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the Sub and Tank, and the Daytona and Calatrava have both been done already...If I could add one more to make my ideal 2 watch collection it would be

16710.jpg
1815.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since the Sub and Tank, and the Daytona and Calatrava have both been done already...If I could add one more to make my ideal 2 watch collection it would be

View attachment 1593220 View attachment 1593224

Okay, okay—I will relinquish my Lange hate for the purposes of this exercise. Excellent combo and slightly less obvious than the other two you mention.

The GMT needs no validation. It is another potential one-watch candidate and doesn’t even really need a partner. Aesthetically, the Pepsi is a standout. No other watch expresses so much color so well. You can wear this with anything short of black tie. Personally, I would never bother actually using the GMT function, but I do love the romance of travel that it expresses.

Although I don’t like Langes, I cannot deny that the 1815 is great value for money, very high quality, and one of the more versatile dress watches around. You can more easily wear this casually than a Tank, yet it does pretty much everything else a Tank can do. It’s only real de-merit is that it is not a Patek Calatrava :devil:

Together, you have a fantastic pair. Between the two, so much ground covered: steel and precious metal, bracelet and strap, complicated and simple, sport and dress, Swiss and German, etc. Very well thought out (or fortuitous!).

pmeis

Reaction score
Must be my screen. It looks dark blue and grey to me

Time to recalibrate your screen then. It’s basically all grey except for the main dial and the strap that are black (and the text being white of course). The subdials And the tachymeter basically match the case color.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to recalibrate your screen then. It’s basically all grey except for the main dial and the strap that are black (and the text being white of course). The subdials And the tachymeter basically match the case color.
Thanks!?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo - I share your mehness on Nomos. I keep wanting to like them, but they just leave me feeling ambivalent. I respect the hell out of the product and the work behind it, but I have yet to see something from Nomos that makes me happy. If I'm spending thousands of dollars on a luxury purchase, my emotional state better start at happy and go straight through euphoria.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo - I share your mehness on Nomos. I keep wanting to like them, but they just leave me feeling ambivalent. I respect the hell out of the product and the work behind it, but I have yet to see something from Nomos that makes me happy. If I'm spending thousands of dollars on a luxury purchase, my emotional state better start at happy and go straight through euphoria.

Nomos engenders the Bauhaus aesthetic; it’s German. You’re not supposed to be happy.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay—I will relinquish my Lange hate for the purposes of this exercise. Excellent combo and slightly less obvious than the other two you mention.

The GMT needs no validation. It is another potential one-watch candidate and doesn’t even really need a partner. Aesthetically, the Pepsi is a standout. No other watch expresses so much color so well. You can wear this with anything short of black tie. Personally, I would never bother actually using the GMT function, but I do love the romance of travel that it expresses.

Although I don’t like Langes, I cannot deny that the 1815 is great value for money, very high quality, and one of the more versatile dress watches around. You can more easily wear this casually than a Tank, yet it does pretty much everything else a Tank can do. It’s only real de-merit is that it is not a Patek Calatrava :devil:

Together, you have a fantastic pair. Between the two, so much ground covered: steel and precious metal, bracelet and strap, complicated and simple, sport and dress, Swiss and German, etc. Very well thought out (or fortuitous!).

The GMT has been essentially my only watch and daily driver for the past 15 years, apart from the Sub I don't think there is a more versatile Rolex or maybe even watch in general. I have a some family in Europe, so the GMT function actually comes in fairly handy with phone calls and stuff

I dig the 1815 because I like straight forward, simple watches and this one kind of hovers the dress watch/normal watch line with the Arabic numbers and railroad tracks on the dial and sub-seconds dial. I do enjoy a classic Calatrava like the 5022 and your 5296, I think if I was to more strictly play the game with an ALS I would have selected a the Saxonia Ultra thin, but I'd rather have something more versatile since luxury watches are a luxury for me, and I don't ever really see myself going much beyond a 2 watch collection unless we start counting things like a beater Casio or Apple Watch

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The GMT has been essentially my only watch and daily driver for the past 15 years, apart from the Sub I don't think there is a more versatile Rolex or maybe even watch in general. I have a some family in Europe, so the GMT function actually comes in fairly handy with phone calls and stuff

I dig the 1815 because I like straight forward, simple watches and this one kind of hovers the dress watch/normal watch line with the Arabic numbers and railroad tracks on the dial and sub-seconds dial. I do enjoy a classic Calatrava like the 5022 and your 5296, I think if I was to more strictly play the game with an ALS I would have selected a the Saxonia Ultra thin, but I'd rather have something more versatile since luxury watches are a luxury for me, and I don't ever really see myself going much beyond a 2 watch collection unless we start counting things like a beater Casio or Apple Watch

I much prefer the 1815 over the Saxonia. The old-timey numerals on the 1815 are the only way to cohere with the overall old-timey Lange look. Whenever they do batons, it looks Frankenstein. If one wants minimal and modern looking, one does not generally turn to Lange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics