• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time I’ve changed watches since I got the 116520 ‘Tona. Just realized the date is wrong.
9AEADFB7-C566-4F9B-ABC6-4425F7DE87A5.jpeg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But is there any combination of a dress watch and a sports watch that doesn't by definition amount to a two-watch collection, in the sense that you'd have a watch for each and every possible occasion?
Yeah I realize it’s an easy equation to achieve. I guess I’m more interested in everyone’s opinions on these 2 particular models to cover all situations/scenarios/events from a watch wearing perspective.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I realize it’s an easy equation to achieve. I guess I’m more interested in everyone’s opinions on these 2 particular models to cover all situations/scenarios/events from a watch wearing perspective.

Yep, excellent in my mind. A sub and a gold dress watch is really my idea of a perfect duo (as long as you're not afraid to really use the sub...no cheating with a g-shock added but not counted in your two watches)!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could this be a two-watch collection? Open to opinions and discussions.....
View attachment 1593149

Very nicely done!

Well, sure, there is the uninteresting way to think about the question (one dress watch + one sport watch = done) that isn’t worth wasting words on.

But I was really trying to prompt more nuanced discussion. Assume that in fact you should have one dress watch and one sport watch—and only one of each—which would they be? Why those two and not others? Did you pick your favorite in each category or did you pick them to complement each other? Are these your grail pieces and what makes them your grails?

Do you even need both a dress watch and sport watch? Realistically, most no one needs a true dress watch anymore. The right sport watch is wearable with a suit and for the few times one goes black tie, you don’t need a watch at all. Under this thinking, what two non-dress watches would you pick? Or maybe you just want a dress watch, anyway.

Maybe you want one simple time-only watch and one complicated watch, regardless of formality. Which complications and why?

As far as dress + sport combos go, I think your Submariner and Tank comprise an almost platonically ideal pairing. Each is a timeless, genre-defining archetype within their separate spheres. Each is a well-made watch by a first tier maker likely to be around when your children or grandchildren inherit them and need them serviced. And you can indeed cover every scenario from the beach to black tie with just these two watches.

If there is any criticism, your combo (like mine) is a bit obvious. But sometimes obvious is obvious for good reason! Also, if you can only have two watches, it might be nice for one to have a complication or two.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replied fellas.........it certainly is an interesting topic.

EDIT: and it should be noted that I'm watching the Price is Right and a Rolex (didn't see the model) is part of the showcase showdown!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nicely done!

Well, sure, there is the uninteresting way to think about the question (one dress watch + one sport watch = done) that isn’t worth wasting words on.

But I was really trying to prompt more nuanced discussion. Assume that in fact you should have one dress watch and one sport watch—and only one of each—which would they be? Why those two and not others? Did you pick your favorite in each category or did you pick them to complement each other? Are these your grail pieces and what makes them your grails?

Do you even need both a dress watch and sport watch? Realistically, most no one needs a true dress watch anymore. The right sport watch is wearable with a suit and for the few times one goes black tie, you don’t need a watch at all. Under this thinking, what two non-dress watches would you pick? Or maybe you just want a dress watch, anyway.

Maybe you want one simple time-only watch and one complicated watch, regardless of formality. Which complications and why?

As far as dress + sport combos go, I think your Submariner and Tank comprise an almost platonically ideal pairing. Each is a timeless, genre-defining archetype within their separate spheres. Each is a well-made watch by a first tier maker likely to be around when your children or grandchildren inherit them and need them serviced. And you can indeed cover every scenario from the beach to black tie with just these two watches.

I agree that probably very few actually need a dress watch (I certainly don't), which is why I believe a OneWatch collection is very possible - something like a Rolex Datejust of your choice should do fine; it can possibly survive anything you throw at it, while being dressy enough for most occasions.

Personally, since I don't need a dress watch, my two watch collection consists of a no-date Sub and an IWC Mk XV, as they're both my favourite design in their respective catagories.

Doesn't mean that I don't want a dress watch, but with no great urgency, I'm happy just looking out for one, until something clicks.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nicely done!

If there is any criticism, your combo (like mine) is a bit obvious. But sometimes obvious is obvious for good reason! Also, if you can only have two watches, it might be nice for one to have a complication or two.
thanks man ?

I came into these because I pounced on respective opportunities. The tank I got a sick deal on and the sub was offered to me by my AD sooner than expected, although the timing was still right and so I pulled the trigger.

I have other watches and am trying to figure out the next move. Ideally, I want a 3-4 watch collection which will be my watch wardrobe. I'd like to add a 36MM DD to my collection but am not quite sure about which permutation.

This is in fact a nuanced proposition since many other watches could fit the bill. But like others have stated, the 2 in question are the archetypical models in our society. So do I veer from that or stay content?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that probably very few actually need a dress watch (I certainly don't), which is why I believe a OneWatch collection is very possible - something like a Rolex Datejust of your choice should do fine; it can possibly survive anything you throw at it, while being dressy enough for most occasions.

Personally, since I don't need a dress watch, my two watch collection consists of a no-date Sub and an IWC Mk XV, as they're both my favourite design in their respective catagories.

Doesn't mean that I don't want a dress watch, but with no great urgency, I'm happy just looking out for one, until something clicks.

Very nice choices! In this day and age, I agree with this “pick your favorites” approach more than with trying to cover the formality spectrum. My Tank LC eventually fell into disuse, even though I loved the look and feel.

It sounds like you and I might share the same affinity for black dial tool watches. I love that your choices are both so focused, no nonsense, and classic. You caught IWC at their peak: the subsequent pilot watches have been gimmicky and too commercial looking. Also, because these are both so classic and simple, they are extremely versatile—both are easily wearable with a suit. Finally, although they are both tool watches, it is neat that one is for the sea and the other for the sky. Your collection signals a man who has very coherent, focused taste and knows what he likes. A+.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. And yes, I'm extremely happy with these choices, both are here to stay (unlike a PAM 177 that I sold on after a few years). And I totally agree with your description of post Mk XV IWC.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks man ?

I came into these because I pounced on respective opportunities. The tank I got a sick deal on and the sub was offered to me by my AD sooner than expected, although the timing was still right and so I pulled the trigger.

I have other watches and am trying to figure out the next move. Ideally, I want a 3-4 watch collection which will be my watch wardrobe. I'd like to add a 36MM DD to my collection but am not quite sure about which permutation.

This is in fact a nuanced proposition since many other watches could fit the bill. But like others have stated, the 2 in question are the archetypical models in our society. So do I veer from that or stay content?

I personally don’t like the “wardrobe” approach. Unlike clothing, you can wear the same watch every day without social or hygienic concerns. Plus, watches are purely optional! There should be little to no consideration for what you “should” buy.

I’d buy what you love but take the time to learn what you are likely to love the most enduringly.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. And yes, I'm extremely happy with these choices, both are here to stay (unlike a PAM 177 that I sold on after a few years). And I totally agree with your description of post Mk XV IWC.
I should add that my Sub is also here to stay =)

Glad you are content.....I need to get there someday!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Any other want-to-haves?

I should add that my Sub is also here to stay =)

Glad you are content.....I need to get there someday!

There is no watch better than that Submariner, just ones that might be better at different things. It could be a one-watch collection all on its own.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t like the “wardrobe” approach. Unlike clothing, you can wear the same watch every day without social or hygienic concerns. Plus, watches are purely optional! There should be little to no consideration for what you “should” buy.

I’d buy what you love but take the time to learn what you are likely to love the most enduringly.
wardrobe might be a strong word, more like rotation.

Yes, I'm learning to be patient and get exactly what I want and nothing less - no more consolation purchases. However, time and $$$ are key factors.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads