• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
is this the one where the two reviewers are sitting outside in the middle of the winter, pretending to eat a half frozen pizza with their masks on?

Presumably because reviewing the new Rolex is so important that the risk of Covid or pneumonia are outweighed by it.

i think so. i think that's where I ended it.

Even foodie videos don't feature people eating what they made because it's ******* gross to watch a video of people just sitting there eating. Unless you're edina.

pmeis

Reaction score
Here's my SOTC I posted a few months ago. I should stop here and spend my disposable income on more practical things, like a kitchen renovation or an index fund. But the new Hermes and MING watches are so purty.

Regarding the Ming vs Hermes, if it’s potentially a one vs the other for you, after owning the 17.06 and now the Hermes, the Ming (and this particular Ming) IMO represents a better value for the money. I love this Hermes, but at just over a third of the price, the 17.09 will be really nice. Just my $.02

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think so. i think that's where I ended it.

Even foodie videos don't feature people eating what they made because it's ******* gross to watch a video of people just sitting there eating. Unless you're edina.

or Guy Fieri

E057C62F-7F71-4910-AAA1-CE6A00010D48.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my SOTC I posted a few months ago. I should stop here and spend my disposable income on more practical things, like a kitchen renovation or an index fund. But the new Hermes and MING watches are so purty.

I dont think you have anything even close to the Hermes or MING. Both would be great additions to your collection... (you're welcome)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love that A385!
Thanks! For what it's worth (not much), this is the nicest vintage A385 I've seen. The vast majority have brown-gray gradient dials like the Revival A385. This one is the rarer cappuccino dial, which I find more attractive. Plus I have the original ladder bracelet and original box.

You're in the market for an A386, right? Zenith is selling the Revival A386 on its website. I would pick this watch over the recently released Chronomaster Sport due to its smaller size, and would pick it up if I didn't already own the A385.
Regarding the Ming vs Hermes, if it’s potentially a one vs the other for you, after owning the 17.06 and now the Hermes, the Ming (and this particular Ming) IMO represents a better value for the money. I love this Hermes, but at just over a third of the price, the 17.09 will be really nice. Just my $.02
But you no longer own the Ming. :wink: I'm probably going to buy the Hermes at some point unless I find it underwhelming in the metal. I can afford to be patient and wait until I see more reviews and wrist shots. I have to make a decision on the Ming in a few days. I'm going back and forth and right now leaning against. I like a running seconds hand, I prefer a manual wind for a watch I'm not going to wear for a week at a time, and I'm not sure how to style a burgundy dial (my preferred model). Perhaps most importantly, I'm impatient and not into delayed gratification. If you are lucky enough to get one of the initial releases to first-time customers, you'll take delivery in October 2021. That's six months away! And if you buy within the ten-minute guarantee window, you have to wait until March 2022 to get your watch. Not sure I can do that.
I dont think you have anything even close to the Hermes or MING. Both would be great additions to your collection... (you're welcome)
This is a dangerous road to go down. I'm already thinking to myself, "Well, I don't have a watch with a cushion case and full Arabics dial like the Hermes. Plus, it's a watch that I can wear everywhere with the rubber strap. And as for the Ming, I don't have an independent or a burgundy dial. Plus there's FOMO because it's the end for the 17.xx line."

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! For what it's worth (not much), this is the nicest vintage A385 I've seen. The vast majority have brown-gray gradient dials like the Revival A385. This one is the rarer cappuccino dial, which I find more attractive. Plus I have the original ladder bracelet and original box.

You're in the market for an A386, right? Zenith is selling the Revival A386 on its website. I would pick this watch over the recently released Chronomaster Sport due to its smaller size, and would pick it up if I didn't already own the A385.

But you no longer own the Ming. :wink: I'm probably going to buy the Hermes at some point unless I find it underwhelming in the metal. I can afford to be patient and wait until I see more reviews and wrist shots. I have to make a decision on the Ming in a few days. I'm going back and forth and right now leaning against. I like a running seconds hand, I prefer a manual wind for a watch I'm not going to wear for a week at a time, and I'm not sure how to style a burgundy dial (my preferred model). Perhaps most importantly, I'm impatient and not into delayed gratification. If you are lucky enough to get one of the initial releases to first-time customers, you'll take delivery in October 2021. That's six months away! And if you buy within the ten-minute guarantee window, you have to wait until March 2022 to get your watch. Not sure I can do that.

This is a dangerous road to go down. I'm already thinking to myself, "Well, I don't have a watch with a cushion case and full Arabics dial like the Hermes. Plus, it's a watch that I can wear everywhere with the rubber strap. And as for the Ming, I don't have an independent or a burgundy dial. Plus there's FOMO because it's the end for the 17.xx line."
You know, you might never have another chance to buy either of these watches...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's really freaking cool that you have box and original bracelet! Yes, but my AD says it's long sold out. I wonder if the only way to purchase is through their site.

pmeis

Reaction score

That’s not saying much though, history tells me that I eventually sell everything. None of my current watches predate the onset of the pandemic and I’ve “collecting” for 8 years now ??‍♂️. I’ve always rotated through pieces, but 2020 was especially bad for me. So bad, that I started the year with a pledge to buy no new watches this year and stay with the core 4/5 watches I had, just so I could break the cycle. It worked for 3.5 months until this Hermes. Other than the Hermes being something that I’ve always wanted, I realized that after these 3.5 months that one watch out of my rotation, my Grand Seiko, just wasn’t getting worn liked the others, so it will be moved to pay for the Hermes.

We‘ll see how long the new status quo lasts, but I’m about as happy with the rest of the collection as I can ever remember being...so I’m sure that will get me another couple of months...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized that after these 3.5 months that one watch out of my rotation, my Grand Seiko, just wasn’t getting worn liked the others, so it will be moved to pay for the Hermes.
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

1618361439944.png

Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.

Got a call from my AD. Stopping by Friday for some happy hour drinks and to pick up a boring piece. Stay tuned.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

View attachment 1592642
Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.

You always use good GIFS. I commend you for that.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1592642

I wish GS wouldn’t put their name on the front twice. Either the initials or the full name, but why both?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1592642

I really like some of the Grand Seiko line, I just wish they could make their watches thinner. That doesnt seem like an unreasonable request given some of the innovations they've come up with and the number of movements they've published.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish GS wouldn’t put their name on the front twice. Either the initials or the full name, but why both?
It's just the logo they chose I guess. JLC does the same thing (although it's JL).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads