• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing this reintroduced in a non limited edition:

View attachment 1592267

Doesn't have to be platinum either.

what's dis?
The orangy-salmon dial is awesome.

Yeah, a salmon and white gold Pateks, of any sorts, always has my eye. I think it's because I'm a sucker for the coral pink paint that Fender used on custom color guitars in the early days (not a John Mayer reference).

That blue dial is great too. And yeah, medium as well, my daily is a 39mm Explorer, so this is would be something sort of similar yet different.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
False. It is a total travesty for all of the reasons you point out. But you miss the biggest offense--the hands. The rest of the watch, while a mishmash, is still Patek. These hands look like they are borrowed from Vacheron and lose all of the beauty of the classic Patek sword hands. This watch sucks bad.

Are you talking about the 6119R/G?

I know the Ref. 6119 is a bit of a hodge-podge, but it does come together for me.

What is kind of interesting, at least to me, is how self-referential Patek has become. By way of example, the 6119 has the hobnail bezel of 1972's Ref, 3520D and 1985's Ref. 3919 and the "obus" markers of 1932's Ref. 96. It also is inspired by the lugs of 1932's Ref. 96. It also throws in a railroad minute track, and a sectored seconds dial. Similarly, the case of the Ref. 5236P is intended to harken back to the Ref. 3448, etc.

At times, in my view, Patek perhaps combines one two many attributes of these prior references without adding new design conventions (although I do love some of Patek's case work. which is often novel). And, at times, these attributes, when combined on one watch, feel discordant.

Rolex, on the other hand, has done a great job of keeping the DNA of its watches in tact and subtly changing the references over time.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's dis?
The orangy-salmon dial is awesome.

It's the 90th anniversary model from 1996.

Btw, if any of you come across live pics of the new Tank Must in steel, regular quartz not the solar, in Large (so the middle of the three sizes), please share.

1618327037549.png

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.
I want to freaking frame this

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
third, has HODINKEE ever written something critical of a new timepiece? They seem to have their head up every manufacturers ass. Their reviews are reminding me of those Gene Shalit movie reviews; never a bad word.
LOL "In short, the AP Black Panther is a A Piece of art! I can't "Pan" it! You'll be "Black" for more!"

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness i'm poor. I can't imagine the stupid **** i would buy without having to take time and think about things for a while first. This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.

like buying digitally stored artwork for millions of dollars and first edition tweets?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With their cringe worthy Submariner video, they have a good template to work with. Just needs solid creative direction on how to blend the ideas together for the AP.

is this the one where the two reviewers are sitting outside in the middle of the winter, pretending to eat a half frozen pizza with their masks on?

Presumably because reviewing the new Rolex is so important that the risk of Covid or pneumonia are outweighed by it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised when I checked today that the Tyson’s galleria doesn’t have an Hermès boutique. I never actually go into DC proper so I’m no competition.
The Ti/DLC watches with strap are again available on the Hermès website if you're okay with buying blind.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this the one where the two reviewers are sitting outside in the middle of the winter, pretending to eat a half frozen pizza with their masks on?
Link?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing this reintroduced in a non limited edition:

View attachment 1592267

Doesn't have to be platinum either.

I got this for my wife for her birthday a few years ago and its so nice I debated on keeping it for myself. For those of you whom are married, you know the consequences of an action like that, so that should tell you how little justice pictures do this watch. This is the CPCP version and I would buy another one in a heart beat if they re-released it. You cant see it in the picture, but the dial detail is simply stunning.

MVIMG_20180711_141343.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the idea of a black chanel j12 is really growing on me

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, I've got a Speedmaster and a JLC, and that's it. I am pretty disciplined when it comes to watches :).

What's in your stable?
Here's my SOTC I posted a few months ago. I should stop here and spend my disposable income on more practical things, like a kitchen renovation or an index fund. But the new Hermes and MING watches are so purty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads