• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the Tank Americaine as my favorite Cartier.

I think the Tank MC is also nice but I could do without the date window.

garigo

Reaction score
Forvm recs needed: a Cartier for $10K or less.

Would be a piece to keep around. Use case undetermined.
One more vote for the Tank Américaine, steel, medium size.

cartier_tank_21.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Cartier releases the Tank Cintree in stainless steel, it will become my favorite Cartier. Maybe I'm just a hopeless dreamer, but it could happen.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like Cartier is certainly trying though with the solar powered quartz they just released. Be interesting to see if it's a hit or a miss for them.

I'm interested, too. A Santos has been on my radar for a while now, and if my AD does not offer me a 36mm Explorer in a reasonable amount of time, I will probably buy a Santos instead. If they put this solar movement in the Santos, I would be all over it ("gimmick" or not). If they did, I suppose it would be more likely to be in the Santos-Dumont line rather than the Santos de Cartier line.

Also, for those of you who have or had the Santos, does it wear larger than expected due to the case shape? Looks like the medium is 35.1mm and the large is 39.8mm. If I bought it, I think I'd prefer no date, but it looks like the large version comes with a date and the medium does not.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried on the medium and the large. The large wears much bigger than the 39mm case shape suggests. I wish they did something in the middle with a 37mm no date Santos.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with the Santos is they only make the more "fun" versions in the large size, but the fun versions are still relatively formal. So even though the Hermes H08 I bought is roughly the same size as the Santos ADLC bezel, the Santos comes off to me as almost a too large dress watch on my wrist and not as sporty as I'd like.

Edit* just curious, did you try on the Hermes watch with a bracelet, or just the strap models?

To me only the "Santos Dumont" is dressy. The Santos (Santos de Cartier) is a luxury sports watch. I've never viewed it as dress watch. The entire history behind the Santos was it is the first tool watch, designed for aviator Alberto Santo Dumont so he could operate the controls on early aviation machines so his hands would be free to operate the controls.

I also like the Santos a lot, although I have read that its bezel is a scratch magnet.

Unless you are very careful, most bezels are. Just look at the bezels on a lot of ROs, Nautiluses, pre-ceramic Daytonas, etc.

some legit replies here. Love it. The bezel on the Santos - didn't notice that, but yeah, that makes a difference.

the blue dial Santos is a looker.

Like many here, I initially was not a fan of the change to the bezel. However, it grew on me, and now the old design just looks a bit dated. The other thing is the flow of the bezel makes sense and looks better particularly when transitioning to other straps that are available using the "Quick switch" bracelet/strap system. You can change straps and bracelets within seconds. On the old Santos, you are left with in my opinion an unsightly metal section between the bezel and the strap that just looks old fashioned and like it wasn't designed to be on a strap.

Anyway, I really like the blue dial model and the ADLC bezel version a lot. I just picked up the rubber strap from the ADLC version to use on my blue dial for the summer, when I'm not using the metal bracelet.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']
https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/UoXic17l.jpg[/img]']

I wear this one a lot. I usually wear it with long sleeves, which protects the bezel a bit. After nearly 2 years bezel still looks good. But if you are tough on watches the bezel might get scratched up.
https%3A//i.imgur.com/lpUea81l.jpg[/img]']

Other straps I have for this watch.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, too. A Santos has been on my radar for a while now, and if my AD does not offer me a 36mm Explorer in a reasonable amount of time, I will probably buy a Santos instead. If they put this solar movement in the Santos, I would be all over it ("gimmick" or not). If they did, I suppose it would be more likely to be in the Santos-Dumont line rather than the Santos de Cartier line.

Also, for those of you who have or had the Santos, does it wear larger than expected due to the case shape? Looks like the medium is 35.1mm and the large is 39.8mm. If I bought it, I think I'd prefer no date, but it looks like the large version comes with a date and the medium does not.

If you're not concerned about a 36mm Explorer then you'll be fine with the Medium Santos. I felt like the large wore bigger than (or at least similar to) my Sub.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're not concerned about a 36mm Explorer then you'll be fine with the Medium Santos. I felt like the large wore bigger than (or at least similar to) my Sub.
Well, of course I haven't tried on the 36mm Explorer so I don't know whether I'd like it or not. But that's good to know. Unfortunately there's no Cartier AD anywhere near me so if I want to check on this I'll have to find a used one in stock somewhere.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don’t own it though like you, it’s on my radar. I’ve tried the medium on and it actually has good wrist presence. It felt like a larger watch. Perhaps it’s the shape of the case.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, of course I haven't tried on the 36mm Explorer so I don't know whether I'd like it or not. But that's good to know. Unfortunately there's no Cartier AD anywhere near me so if I want to check on this I'll have to find a used one in stock somewhere.

Hodinkee gets a lot of well-deserved **** about their retail arm, but it would be nice if there were more options that offered their outstanding return policy. The ability to try something on over the course of a couple days and still return it is quite excellent.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They wear larger than their measurements suggest, due to the case shape. However the case back and lugs are curved to hug the wrist and its a very comfortable watch to wear. I tried the medium and the large, and while I liked that the medium had no date, I felt it was just a touch small for me and the bracelet seemed a bit narrower at the top of the watch case than what I wished it were. Still certainly a great watch in the medium size. As I think Mak said, the large Santos wears sort of like a Sub. Also, if one gets a blue dial or an ALDC dial the dark date wheel makes the fact that the date is there less obtrusive. While I don't need a date and in theory would have preferred no date, it has come in handy and I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me.

I don’t own it though like you, it’s on my radar. I’ve tried the medium on and it actually has good wrist presence. It felt like a larger watch. Perhaps it’s the shape of the case.

Yes, its the shape of the case. When you try on watches that are round, they have no corners to the case, just lugs that flow out from the rounded case. So even though the diameter is the same as a round watch, a square case looks larger to the eye. I've noticed this with my other square and rectangular watches.

pmeis

Reaction score
To me only the "Santos Dumont" is dressy. The Santos (Santos de Cartier) is a luxury sports watch. I've never viewed it as dress watch. The entire history behind the Santos was it is the first tool watch, designed for aviator Alberto Santo Dumont so he could operate the controls on early aviation machines so his hands would be free to operate the controls.

I basically agree with you. If I wanted a pure dress watch, I would definitely consider a Dumont. While I agree the Santos is definitely a luxury sports watch, the roman numerals give it an air of formality to my eyes that other luxury sport watches don't quite have and with that in mind, I'd rather wear/own a more modestly sized version, like the medium, for my wrist.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically agree with you. If I wanted a pure dress watch, I would definitely consider a Dumont. While I agree the Santos is definitely a luxury sports watch, the roman numerals give it an air of formality to my eyes that other luxury sport watches don't quite have and with that in mind, I'd rather wear/own a more modestly sized version, like the medium, for my wrist.

I suppose I can see your point with the Romans, particularly with the white dial I can see it having an bit more formality than the dark dial ones, especially compared to the ADLC models. Then again, Cartier being Cartier, they have used Romans at times on their sports watches like older Pashas.

1618326822093.png

1618326869625.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads