• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monkey66

Reaction score
Cartier definitely has an aesthetic and doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel with its designs. That watch could just as easily fit into their line up today.

There is a lot to say for timeless designs. This watch gives me just as much happiness now as it did 20 years ago.

It appears they no longer do this (large/automatic/Guilloche dial) version in SS, only SS/Gold although they do many other variants of the Tank Française. If memory serves it is a modified ETA movement?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Forvm recs needed: a Cartier for $10K or less.

Would be a piece to keep around. Use case undetermined.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
no details on purpose. 10 year wedding anniv. idea and we both have Cartier rings.

i should probably look for that ring, i think it was expensive.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're in the market for something more dressy, I love the Drive Extra Flat.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without any details besides the question? I'd personally pick the medium (no date) white dial Santos de Cartier.

I really dislike how they elongated the bezel towards the lugs and bracelet in the new Santos.

Bad:
1618320603178.png

Good:
1618320634851.png

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, I fear that I've waited too long to buy this watch, because I think (without trying it on yet) that I like the new Hermes more.

In a way, Hermes are trying to do the sort of innovative design Cartier started doing a century ago. It's not clear they're succeeding but one could take a punt on them. Both are brands one buys for the design more than for anything else.

Also, I happen to think they'd both have more design integrity if they used cutting edge quartz movements rather than pander to the mechanical middlebrow snobbery, but that's by the by. Hermes has a chance to stand out there and they're not grabbing it because much of their clientele is what it is, alas.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a way, Hermes are trying to do the sort of innovative design Cartier started doing a century ago. It's not clear they're succeeding but one could take a punt on them. Both are brands one buys for the design more than for anything else.

Also, I happen to think they'd both have more design integrity if they used cutting edge quartz movements rather than pander to the mechanical middlebrow snobbery, but that's by the by. Hermes has a chance to stand out there and they're not grabbing it because much of their clientele is what it is, alas.

I suspect they might "stand out" but at the same time they would sell far fewer watches.

Seems like Cartier is certainly trying though with the solar powered quartz they just released. Be interesting to see if it's a hit or a miss for them.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to say for timeless designs. This watch gives me just as much happiness now as it did 20 years ago.

It appears they no longer do this (large/automatic/Guilloche dial) version in SS, only SS/Gold although they do many other variants of the Tank Française. If memory serves it is a modified ETA movement?

probably. I think Cartier started making in house movements just within the past 10 years when that aspect of watchmaking became fetishized. Sort of the way avocado toast is to hipsters.

pmeis

Reaction score
For me, I fear that I've waited too long to buy this watch, because I think (without trying it on yet) that I like the new Hermes more.

My problem with the Santos is they only make the more "fun" versions in the large size, but the fun versions are still relatively formal. So even though the Hermes H08 I bought is roughly the same size as the Santos ADLC bezel, the Santos comes off to me as almost a too large dress watch on my wrist and not as sporty as I'd like. The Hermes on the other hand is clearly a sports watch

If the ADLC bezel version was available in the medium size, I likely would have gone for that, though at some point I could see myself owning the medium size white dial regardless.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
some legit replies here. Love it. The bezel on the Santos - didn't notice that, but yeah, that makes a difference.

the blue dial Santos is a looker.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like the Santos a lot, although I have read that its bezel is a scratch magnet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the large Tank Francaise used a modified ETA. The steel version has been out of production for several years. In steel it is currently only available in the small and medium ladies sizes with quartz movements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads