• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've now seen this clip pop in a few different places. I wonder if pop-culture might attempt to color sensibilities toward PP in a manner similar to its treatment of Rolex in previous decades:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why isn't there an on-line clip of the scene from Best Seller where James Woods tries to give Brian Dennehy a Patek Philippe aboard a plane? If there was, I would post it here.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New perp cal, new movement - but the size :(. Still, think the triple register is pretty darn cool and happy Patek has introduced a new movement. Just wish it was 38-39mm: View attachment 1591658

New Calatrava hobnail, new movement - pretty darn nice and my favorite of the new references (particularly G) but I wonder if sector dial and RR track is too much? I’ll reserve judgment for later, but I think this is a great contemporary take on the traditional hobnail dial, which can look very staid:

View attachment 1591660
View attachment 1591659

Then an AC in a Calatrava case in steel on a bracelet. This one looks off to me:

View attachment 1591661

Agreed about the perpetual calendar. Love that triple register and hate the case size.

New Calatrava looks great. Glad to see them bringing the hobnail back. Good size as well at 39mm.

The new annual calendar is a bit of a head scratcher. I thought they were trying to sell LESS steel watches??

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawt.
Z755792_dcb782ab-cd2c-48a1-880f-d0d718e6e9b1_1024x1024.jpg

Z755832_d36c1a41-0bb6-4dc2-b275-82c1a6f17ecb_1024x1024.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the RG Calatrava but prefer it without the hobnail design on the bezel.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if you dig really deep into this thread, you would find that I have always been a big fan of the Patek 5711 and AP 15202 - and those two were always my reasonable-ish grail watches. Well, I have since given up on both of them, and am aiming for something else - which is outside of the luxury SS sports watch category.

That said, I'd like to fill that gap one day, and think that the Bulgari Octo Finissimo is pretty damn amazing and a great candidate. Unique design, looks to be solid quality, horologically interesting, and all for the price of $12k retail (looks like you can get for 15-20% less). I am kind of shocked these have not become more popular, particularly given the trajectory of the luxury SS sports watch category. In my view, it really makes you question the "value proposition" of some other options out there.

View attachment 1591415

The Octo Finissimo is a great watch. I would consider adding one to my collection at some point. I love the case shape. It wears larger than it's dimensions suggest, but that is common with non-round watches. I've tried it on the titanium version and a skeleton version. My only criticism is the bracelet. I don't like how the bracelet feels, I don't love it's looks, or that it uses I believe push pins to size it. So if I bought it, I'd probably take the bracelet off. Actually I like how it looks better on a strap anyway. I think the lug design is much more interesting and is displayed better when it is on a strap. You definitely need to try it on to decide if it is the right watch for you.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Octo Finissimo is a great watch. That said, it is a watch I respect more than like. It wears larger than its 40mm size due to its shape, and because the bracelet does not taper that much, it feels like a wristband to me. Maybe I'll come around eventually. Definitely try before you buy.

I came to write the same thing. Beautiful watch, wears awfully on my wrist.

I have not tried it, but I can certainly see this. I would certainly try before I bought - particularly to the extent that some folks have reported that it digs into their wrist, which is not great. In my eyes, this is kind of the ultimate, showy fun watch.

I've tried the Octo and it just wears weird on my wrist. If you want something else besides the Nautilus or 15202, I'd suggest the Czapek Antarctique or the Moser Streamliner.

I see the Czapek Antarctique referenced all the time. Looks like a really cool watch. However, it is a wee bit more expensive. It is amazing how much of a splash Czapek has made in a short amount of time. I kind of hate the "resurrecting a dead brand thing" though.

In that price range, have you considered the GP Laureato?

Eh, the GP Laureato doesn't really do it for me. Doesn't get the juices flowing, which is kind of a pre-req for me.

Cool watch! I haven't experienced one in person, but really seems nice for all the reasons you describe. Also, it seems different enough from the watches you were previously hunting, so as to perhaps not lead to that feeling of <settling for> that can occur when buying a watch similar to the one you <really> want...?

There does seem to be some sort of extraneous lug element to the design...like the outer quarters could simply not be there and the watch would be a bit less squarely fussy?

Well, I have made an affirmative decision on my next watch (unless something better comes up between now and when I purchase it). After I purchase that watch, I really look forward to dipping back into some "fun" stuff. The Zenith Chronomaster Revival Shadow is on the list, as is the new 36mm Explorer SS, and others.

In other words, I do not enjoy the "hunt" and hope to be in a position soon where I no longer feel like I am "hunting". Once I acquire my current target, I would be surprised if I had any feelings of lust for the 5711 or 15202.

The Octo Finissimo is a great watch. I would consider adding one to my collection at some point. I love the case shape. It wears larger than it's dimensions suggest, but that is common with non-round watches. I've tried it on the titanium version and a skeleton version. My only criticism is the bracelet. I don't like how the bracelet feels, I don't love it's looks, or that it uses I believe push pins to size it. So if I bought it, I'd probably take the bracelet off. Actually I like how it looks better on a strap anyway. I think the lug design is much more interesting and is displayed better when it is on a strap anyway. You definitely need to try it on to decide if it is the right watch for you.

Interesting perspective on the bracelet. From what I have read, it seemed to me that the bracelet had near-unanimous appeal. Definitely would want to try it on. Kind of surprised there are no ADs in Louisiana.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not tried it, but I can certainly see this. I would certainly try before I bought - particularly to the extent that some folks have reported that it digs into their wrist, which is not great. In my eyes, this is kind of the ultimate, showy fun watch.

I see the Czapek Antarctique referenced all the time. Looks like a really cool watch. However, it is a wee bit more expensive. It is amazing how much of a splash Czapek has made in a short amount of time. I kind of hate the "resurrecting a dead brand thing" though.

Eh, the GP Laureato doesn't really do it for me. Doesn't get the juices flowing, which is kind of a pre-req for me.

Well, I have made an affirmative decision on my next watch (unless something better comes up between now and when I purchase it). After I purchase that watch, I really look forward to dipping back into some "fun" stuff. The Zenith Chronomaster Revival Shadow is on the list, as is the new 36mm Explorer SS, and others.

In other words, I do not enjoy the "hunt" and hope to be in a position soon where I no longer feel like I am "hunting". Once I acquire my current target, I would be surprised if I had any feelings of lust for the 5711 or 15202.

Interesting perspective on the bracelet. From what I have read, it seemed to me that the bracelet had near-unanimous appeal. Definitely would want to try it on. Kind of surprised there are no ADs in Louisiana.
I really like the revival series watches from Zenith. I've been debating thr A384 for a few weeks now. If I found an A386 I think I'd instantly pull the trigger

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It surprised me too because I almost always prefer a watch on a bracelet to a watch on a strap..

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random observation: the cashier at my local supermarket, a kid who couldn't have been much older than 20, was wearing a very good Royal Oak copy. Or maybe it wasn't a copy and he's a drug dealer on some kind of community service (this is northern Europe, we don't do mass incarceration). Either way this isn't great for the brand, I would've thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads