• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“In truth, I find that people in “the arts” tend to be quite myopic. They know their own thing but have limited peripheral vision. At least us “modern banksters” put our money where are mouths are when it comes to such “baubles”.

What do the tastes of people in the watch industry, like Roger Smith and Jean-Claude Biver, tell you? Or is that irrelevant compared to what a sculptor or painter thinks?”

Leonardo da Vinci = myopic artist

foo = puts money where mouth is

Y’all this **** is too funny...

I am not sure which is larger, the amount of money he spends on watches or the number of personalities he has. The latter is enough to fill a stadium. TheFoo is worthy of preservation on the UNESCO world heritage list. To be fair, bankers put other people’s money in their mouths, not their own. Judging by Foo’s prolific posting, he isn’t banking many deals, though. But he does own an intentionally mutilated Daytona (a Footona if you will) and a Patek that he apparently force feeds to his infant child (I assume the boy isn’t teething yet since Foo is not cool with even a little shop wear on his cases). Foo has so many greatest hits on this watch thread alone that his greatest hits have their own greatest hits. John Mayer would be jealous.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I should listen to the navel gazing, overthinking academic instead of the master watchmaker. Got it. Definitely time for me to reevaluate my entire life.

Complain to Foo, not to me: he's the one who suggested that Roger Smith wearing a modern Rolex was an argument in favour of wearing modern Rolex. Because see, what watch to wear is an aesthetic decision, not a watchmaking one.

Did I say all artists are good guides to aesthetics? My claim was that, typically, the best guides to aesthetics are to be found in the arts, design, and scholarly worlds.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can't crap on the banker bubble from the art bubble. It is the perceived desire for superiority based on belonging that grates people.

I'm inclined to agree. But each bubble has its field of expertise. When one talks about horology enthusiasts who buy modern Daytonas and such one is largely talking about the banker bubble these days, which is tantamount to claiming the wrong expertise for that particular group. (Which is why, incidentally, the claim that my argument was ad hominem is ludicrous.)

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
As if poorer people have better taste. Why turn this into a class issue?
Thank goodness i'm poor. I can't imagine the stupid **** i would buy without having to take time and think about things for a while first. This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile on Hodinkee: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/audemars-piguet-black-panther-watch-live-pics-pricing

I honestly didn't think they would stoop so low. The hell of tasteless rich people's baubles is deeper than I thought.

where do I begin with regard to this watch?

first, as an avid comic book reader during my childhood I can tell you that the black panther was a marginal figure in the marvel universe.

second, whenever an established company feels the need to do some sort of “collaboration” with some subject of pop culture, that company automatically loses some credibility with me. This sentiment holds true for those ridiculous “007” Omegas.

third, has HODINKEE ever written something critical of a new timepiece? They seem to have their head up every manufacturers ass. Their reviews are reminding me of those Gene Shalit movie reviews; never a bad word.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Hodinkee should do a Week On The Wrist with the Black Panther watch but film it as a recreation of The Chronic(what!)cles of Narnia" video from Lonely Island.

With their cringe worthy Submariner video, they have a good template to work with. Just needs solid creative direction on how to blend the ideas together for the AP.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
"The shrunken size is a big deal, but let's be honest: It's nothing compared to the biggest news of the day, which is that Rolex made one of these 36mm Explorers in two-tone metal, steel and gold. You simply could not have drawn up a watch more in line with my horological sensibilities. When the news broke yesterday morning, and I saw the first image of the two-tone, I let out an audible gasp. This was at 6:00 AM, and I may or may not have awakened both my wife and my dog. "

watches an Alison Roman video once. Applies to Hodinkee.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The shrunken size is a big deal, but let's be honest: It's nothing compared to the biggest news of the day, which is that Rolex made one of these 36mm Explorers in two-tone metal, steel and gold. You simply could not have drawn up a watch more in line with my horological sensibilities. When the news broke yesterday morning, and I saw the first image of the two-tone, I let out an audible gasp. This was at 6:00 AM, and I may or may not have awakened both my wife and my dog. "

watches an Alison Roman video once. Applies to Hodinkee.
I'm waiting for Hodinkee to hire Rupi Kaur.

i know i
should crumble
for better reasons
but have you seen
that watch
it brings
the sun
to the steel
every light

1618230951637.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Czapek just dropped a green dial Antarctique LE similar to their Abyss.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New perp cal, new movement - but the size :(. Still, think the triple register is pretty darn cool and happy Patek has introduced a new movement. Just wish it was 38-39mm:
3DCAF51D-D3DE-450D-A3E8-26158FB0490D.jpeg

New Calatrava hobnail, new movement - pretty darn nice and my favorite of the new references (particularly G) but I wonder if sector dial and RR track is too much? I’ll reserve judgment for later, but I think this is a great contemporary take on the traditional hobnail dial, which can look very staid:

9D788BAA-4DB9-4986-8817-439A95EF45C7.jpeg

6436CA9A-985B-4AE7-8FB8-202128C2776E.jpeg

Then an AC in a Calatrava case in steel on a bracelet. This one looks off to me:

C687C53D-A2F7-4D84-A99D-404D04EBC180.jpeg

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the bracelet on that last one screams Citizen Eco-Drive to me. I'm also not a Patek expert so I have no historical reference to care about regarding the bracelet.

That 6119R makes me look twice, and then again. My favorite of the new ones.

edit: 42mm on that first one??? Sausage finger territory.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads