• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1591338

Imagine thinking this guy is an authority on aesthetics and design. I especially love the shiny pocket square that matches his lining, and the green thread on the boutonnière.

Uhh hello:

70C0A15F-4A27-4A2B-958D-4420516D67FB.jpeg

You raised Roger Smith as a supposed example of an artisan maker able to match the capabilities of industrial watchmaking firms like Rolex. As illustrated above, you did so to show that artisanal watches can be all inclusive of the qualities and attributes enjoyed in industrially-made watches.

But as I’ve explained and as Roger Smith himself appreciates: he cannot do what Rolex does, as Rolex is a massive industrial firm with unique resources and capabilities.

How the man dresses is neither here nor there. But you also saw fit to attack my profession, as if it were a material point worth making. All of this feels an awful lot like grasping at straws and ad hominem insult. Instead of worrying about what my professors would think of my reasoning skills, maybe you should reflect more on your own.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait, wait , wait...didn't you try and convince me two days ago that your Biden-influencer theory was to some degree based on [your self-admitted error of historical fact] that he had been trotting around, campaigning and debating with his Rolex, BEFORE January? And that the press were making a big deal about it BEFORE January? It's almost like you had formed an opinion based either on a false memory, or a distorted representation of the facts.

Do you understand the concept of materiality? Whether Biden’s watch first appeared a year ago or on inauguration day, the prices of his particular Rolex model have gone up 10-20% since inauguration whereas prices for the same model with different dials are more or less unchanged.

Remember, the key point in contention was whether Biden influenced demand for the watch he wore. Even if he first wore it on inauguration, it would only further support the conclusion that he did have such an effect.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you understand the concept of materiality? Whether Biden’s watch first appeared a year ago or on inauguration day, the prices of his particular Rolex model have gone up 10-20% since inauguration whereas prices for the same model with different dials are more or less unchanged.

Yes. But I wasn’t having that argument. I was pointing out a very specific moment of you using a false memory as “evidence” for your opinion. That’s all.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo

I will start replying to you again once you address my points instead of twisting them out of shape. If you won'd admit or can't see that you've done that repeatedly you're not worth talking to.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@TheFoo

I will start replying to you again once you address my points instead of twisting them out of shape. If you won'd admit or can't see that you've done that repeatedly you're not worth talking to.

Ha okay. It’s all right there. Don’t pretend I’m the one moving goal posts, particularly after you made it personal and brought in bullshit claims based on class and profession.

stdavidshead

Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly (though, I'd say it encompasses world views beyond the puritanical...). In my own neck of the woods (Arts), the pressure to maintain various stereotypical tropes (the disheveled, impoverished eccentric, etc...) _can be_ as contrived and snobbish as ostentatious material possessions. This mind set is actually something that drove me toward an affection for some of these things - it became a sort of critique of that pretense (at least in my own mind). I lived in Williamsburg from 1998-2004 and was deeply inside the Brooklyn band/art scene that emerged during that specific time. The [hidden] wealth on hand relative to the personal mythologies trafficked via image/mimesis was comical...

On the other hand, their are of course many participants in the art/design scene that are oblivious to these things for less cynical reasons, which I'm guessing was more to your point...just thought I'd add some color...

Not to go all @am55, but this reminds me of one of my favorite songs - Singer Songwriter by Okkervil River.

Here's a snippet:
You come from wealth
Yeah, you've got wealth
What a ***** they didn't give you much else

I heard cuts by The Kinks on your speakers
I saw Poe and Artau on your shelves
While The Last Laugh's first scene on your flat panel screen
Lit Chanel that you've wrapped around yourself

You've got outsider art by an artist
Who arguably kidnapped a kid on the wall
While your designers have slyly directed the eye
Down clean lines in your well-lit hall

You've got taste
You've got taste
What a waste that that's all that you have

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, buddy.
I don't see what the big deal is if a company is just trying to make a **** ton of money. No need to act like these companies exist for some higher purpose other than making the owners rich as ****. Even Rolex and their great charitable trust ownership doesn't mean that trust owners aren't trying to make a **** ton of money.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"AP says it drew inspiration from the classic Mickey Mouse watch design – where his arms represent the hour and minute and hands and move with the time. "

the hands are coming from that character's no no zone.

it's a helicopter dick watch.

Yeah, I definitely don’t enjoy that the hands are squirting out of his groin as he squats over a giant rotating ball.

stdavidshead

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is if a company is just trying to make a **** ton of money. No need to act like these companies exist for some higher purpose other than making the owners rich as ****. Even Rolex and their great charitable trust ownership doesn't mean that trust owners aren't trying to make a **** ton of money.

Nothing wrong with making a **** ton of money. But alleging that this wasn't produced to make a **** ton of money on a coat tails of a movie (as the article does) is hilariously disingenuous.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with making a **** ton of money. But alleging that this wasn't produced to make a **** ton of money on a coat tails of a movie (as the article does) is hilariously disingenuous.

I don’t think we need to prognosticate on the strategic purpose behind this release when it is condemnable as a matter of taste regardless of why they did it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree which is why I think it's stupid for Hodinkee to say this wasn't a cash grab. Everything is a cash grab including their stupid travel clock. The green dial platinum 15202 RO is a cash grab as well as Rolex making SS sports models hard to get forcing people to go with the more expensive twotone or full gold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads