• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave you data points indicating otherwise. Blue dial Datejusts have gone up more in price than others since inauguration. This correlates with the hype on social media since that time.

Of course, like I said before, I cannot prove cause and effect. I can only make observations and educated guesses. The real question is why you are so tenacious about arguing with me when you have zero information or reasoning to refute my claims.

This is like when everyone said my Daytona couldn’t exist because my experience doesn’t align with the mythological beliefs of those who haven’t yet figured out how to get one for themselves.

Ridiculous.
I think, as a first-person account, people had suspicions about your Daytona because you posted a box. You were mad(?) that people didn’t accept you at your word, but maybe that’s because you sometimes make **** up and then gaslight when confronted (see: Biden wore a Rolex in debates, campaign, etc...). Live by the sword...

Daytona looks great!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t personally think Joe Biden has any noteworthy taste, but tell that to all the people in this thread suddenly clamoring for blue dial Datejusts as if they suddenly found Jesus.

Whether you like him or not, John Mayer is one of the most influential streetwear figures in pop culture and one of the most influential watch collectors, period. What planet have you been on?

This just reads like more evidence that Rolex "innovation" is no longer being driven by anything resembling core tool watch functionality. Say what you want about Richard Mille (I don't really get the appeal), but I do give him credit for building absurdly capable functional movements that pair well with the sports influencers he works with. Rolex watches are perhaps marginally more functional than they were 50 years ago but a lot more shiny and jewel-like. It's pretty obvious where the brand is focused.

He is an excellent vocalist and writer as well as one of the greatest living guitarists—certainly the greatest of his generation.
This is wrong for so many reasons. This seems like a hot take from someone who read a magazine article about the topic. First - there is no objective "greatest" possible here. I accept that JM is a talented guitar player but I don't enjoy listening to his music and I'm not alone. Calling him "certainly the greatest" is no different from when you called the Explorer the Rolexiest Rolex (and said the same for the ND Sub). I don't even think it's possible to define JM's generation of guitar players in any meaningful way. Are we limiting to people +-5 years of JM's age? Are we limiting it to ****** pop musicians? Blues performers? The fact that Eric Clapton says nice things isn't that meaningful if JM just happens to play the way EC likes the guitar to be played. Has EC heard every top flamenco guitarist in the world? Are we supposed to take into account songwriting or just musicianship? What about influence?

Obviously, the discussion of top guitar players is outside the scope of the watch thread, but I didn't want to let this ridiculous statement slide because the thinking behind it is consistent with this attempt to make absolute objective statements about things that are inherently subjective (eg Rolexiest Rolex). Also @Piobaire for luls as to what he thinks of calling John Mayer "certainly the greatest" of his generation and one of the greatest living guitarists.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think, as a first-person account, people had suspicions about your Daytona because you posted a box. You were mad(?) that people didn’t accept, but that’s because you sometimes make **** up and then gaslight when confronted (see: Biden wore a Rolex in debates, campaign, etc...). Live by the sword...

Daytona looks great!

I am happy to discuss, debate, disagree, etc. What I won’t do is allow myself to be mischaracterized. I explicitly admitted in a prior post that it looked like you were correct that Biden’s blue Datejust appeared later than I remembered. In fact, I have frequently admitted when I have been wrong about a fact or opinion.

People denied the existence of the Daytona before the box picture. I was accused of unspecified nefarious scheming. In fact, I posted the box picture to prove that even then certain people would continue to disbelieve and argue.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am happy to discuss, debate, disagree, etc. What I won’t do is allow myself to be mischaracterized. I explicitly admitted in a prior post that it looked like you were correct that Biden’s blue Datejust appeared later than I remembered. In fact, I have frequently admitted when I have been wrong about a fact or opinion.

People denied the existence of the Daytona before the box picture. I was accused of unspecified nefarious scheming. In fact, I posted the box picture to prove that even then certain people would continue to disbelieve and argue.

fair

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I think you are generally right - Tourneau has no obligation to sell anything to me, nor to anyone else. That isn't the issue at all.

I just thought it was shady that they were dealing with a grey market dealer, who then tried to make a sale in their store, in front of them, while strongly implying that there was some sort of relationship that those employees were engaged in. It may have been nothing, but just highlighting the conduct in light of the lawsuit from Chicago a few weeks ago. Who knows the actual truth (I certainly only have what I saw and heard), but it just seemed extremely shady. Maybe it wasnt.

The problem I had was just how blatant it was in front of my (and Mrs. Ides) face. Again, no one owes me anything - but I figured this forum should know how Tourneau, or at least some of their employees, acted last week. That is all.
you and everybody else that thinks like this needs to understand that this is not downton abbey where you build lifetime relationships with honorable people ( I wish this was the case).

After spending ridiculous amounts of money on luxury items over the last decade, I can tell you that the "used car dealership experience" unfortunately prevails far more often than what I would expect from such an experience. I have bought porsches, watches and luxury clothes etc all over the world and most of the time I leave disappointed. Most sales people that sell luxury goods suck - that's just the truth.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...which was an answer to a comment by another poster claiming that current tastemakers do not wear current Rolexes.

To clarify again: my claim was that current influencers who wear current Rolexes aren't the same kind of people who were tastemakers in the midcentury era. John Mayer or Joe Biden didn't go to the moon or climb Everest, nor are they pilots for a major airline in the golden era of aviation, nor are they fictional M16 agents, etc. Magnum PI is an interesting example of a transitional figure as wearing a GMT in the early 80s still made sense if one had owned the watch for a decade or so, which would be plausible for his character.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold out of their initial allotment, I talked to them directly.
Must have happened almost instantly. That's crazy.
The DLC-coated titanium watch on the orange rubber strap is no longer available on the Hermes website. Guess we know which one is the most in demand.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DLC-coated titanium watch on the orange rubber strap is no longer available on the Hermes website. Guess we know which one is the most in demand.

I was just coming to post the same thing.

The one on black rubber is the same identical watch, right? Just different strap?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just coming to post the same thing.
Buy the watch on the black rubber strap and buy the orange rubber strap separately? You'll need something other than orange for less casual use anyways.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are we arguing about again? If JM is a good guitarist, tastemaker, trendsetter or Foo's Daytona?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may have been nothing, but just highlighting the conduct in light of the lawsuit from Chicago a few weeks ago. Who knows the actual truth (I certainly only have what I saw and heard), but it just seemed extremely shady. Maybe it wasnt.

Oh yeah! I remember someone posted about that. Here's the latest, which actually isn't that current:

My favorite line:

"Stories are emerging of authorized dealers selling Rolex watches by the dozen to grey market traders. These flippers will acquire, let’s say, 11 easily available watches at a time if the authorized dealer will include one steel Daytona or Batman in the bundle that can be sold at a huge markup."

It would appear that the only difference between the average civilian and a gray market dealer, at least in the eyes of the AD, is the efficiency and the velocity with which the "relationship" is established in order to obtain what each is really looking for.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure many service men care that much about watches today.
Admittedly, I don't know many veterans, and I definitely don't know any active duty servicemembers, but I think they do care about watches. Except today it's more about chunky G-Shock Mudmaster watches in FDE or other similar tacticool pieces. I'm a firearms enthusiast, and the types of watches you usually see on people's wrists on those forums are what I'm talking about. For many of them, of course, it's about what (they think) an "operator" wears.

Anyone catch the new Carrier Tank’s? The blue and gold Tank LC is pretty nice.
I didn't realize they released anything other than the Must. I'll have to take a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics