• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could you be a bit more specific...say, who on this thread has EVER proclaimed a deep desire for a 40mm blue dial datejust in connection with Biden? I remember the whole discussion about Biden sporting the watch and the pros and cons of the choice, etc, but I don't recall it directly inspiring anyone to go get the same watch, no?

I didn’t say a lot of people directly stated they wanted the watch because of Biden. But the popularity of the watch here and elsewhere dramatically increased after Biden wore it to the inauguration. It received a bunch of press coverage, then seeped through social media and the online watch forums, and suddenly it’s a hot ticket watch.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
somebody on the inauguration list showed up with dior Jordan 1's. The taboids noticed. Joe's watch only seemed to get noticed by watch people.

it's a good choice.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say a lot of people directly stated they wanted the watch because of Biden. But the popularity of the watch here and elsewhere dramatically increased after Biden wore it to the inauguration. It received a bunch of press coverage, then seeped through social media and the online watch forums, and suddenly it’s a hot ticket watch.
I don't remember anyone here saying they wanted to get a blue DJ after Biden wore it. I just recall people saying he wore a blue DJ and that was it.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok...where exactly...which member(s)?

[show yourselves...certainly the masses of Biden-inspired DJ seekers are reading this!!!]

And...I thought the press coverage and reception was largely negative, though? Anyway, the blue dial has been popular for quite some time. I've never seen or heard (via ADs, threads, etc...) any ratcheted-up interest in relation to Biden...

Edir: And remember...we're talking about the plain bezel 41mm DJ in blue....not fluted 36, which is a completely different animal.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the most fun to photograph watch I’ve ever owned. The ceramic bezel is something awesome.

E01AFCE0-926C-471F-A07F-E934A10266B7.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I asked my father in law about watches. He's a Navy guy, did the academy, his 8 years of service, 3 "pac" or whatever tours in the USS Olympia, and now he's in the middle east half the time as a nuclear engineer.

I figured he'd know a few things about watches and the water so I asked.

"a watch? Yeah? For your hypotethical jewelry box in your hypotetical submarine suite?"

that's all i got. i knew what he meant.

Years ago a variety of military branches around the world issued Submariners and other good watches to some of their special forces teams. In addition, people in the military would regularly buy a Rolex or other good watch at the PX/NEX. One of the attorneys at our office is about 75 years old (a former chemical engineer who served on USS Rupertus destroyer in the late 1960s through the early 70s) and he bought 2 Rolex watches at an NEX while in port at Subic Bay. One he paid $90 for and the other about $120. When my dad was in the army from 1974-76 the PX on the base carried Rolex. I don't think PX/NEXs have had Rolex or other brands like that in decades, and I'm not sure many service men care that much about watches today.

ronscuba

Reaction score
From John Mayer to Joe Biden.
I don't pay attention to "trendsetters" or "tastemakers", especially when buying a watch. But anyway, never knew John Mayer and Joe Biden were popular people when it came to personal style in 2021.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't pay attention to "trendsetters" or "tastemakers", especially when buying a watch. But anyway, never knew John Mayer and Joe Biden were popular people when it came to personal style in 2021.

John Mayer is certainly an important and current fashion influencer.

Also, to clarify again: I am not saying I follow or that anyone else should follow the tastes of these people. I am simply observing that they do in fact influence trends and tastes, which was an answer to a comment by another poster claiming that current tastemakers do not wear current Rolexes.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Years ago a variety of military branches around the world issued Submariners and other good watches to some of their special forces teams. In addition, people in the military would regularly buy a Rolex or other good watch at the PX/NEX. One of the attorneys at our office is about 75 years old (a former chemical engineer who served on USS Rupertus destroyer in the late 1960s through the early 70s) and he bought 2 Rolex watches at an NEX while in port at Subic Bay. One he paid $90 for and the other about $120. When my dad was in the army from 1974-76 the PX on the base carried Rolex. I don't think PX/NEXs have had Rolex or other brands like that in decades, and I'm not sure many service men care that much about watches today.

yes, i'm familiar with these methods to purchase, though only loosely. Seemed like after the mid 70's it wasn't much of a thing (maybe with more technology, divers didn't need a watch to dive?).

he said watches on submarines or carriers (NImitz class is what he's most familar with) were all civilian watches. On the flight decks usually G-Shocks, but again all civilian. No rolexes in sight. To put it lightly, it would get ********* or something with the super tight quarters that you have to live in while deployed. That and just nobody gives a ****, it's the Navy, they have more important things to fret over.

One of his classmates works at JPL, which was in the news recently, and he didn't give a **** about watches for space or anything. Awesome conversationalist however.

For timing reference, these are early/mid 80's Navy grads.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok...where exactly...which member(s)?

[show yourselves...certainly the masses of Biden-inspired DJ seekers are reading this!!!]

And...I thought the press coverage and reception was largely negative, though? Anyway, the blue dial has been popular for quite some time. I've never seen or heard (via ADs, threads, etc...) any ratcheted-up interest in relation to Biden...

Edir: And remember...we're talking about the plain bezel 41mm DJ in blue....not fluted 36, which is a completely different animal.

Maybe you aren’t keeping up with the watch community. See below for snippets from this thread, which tends to trail places like TRF and key Insta accounts.

Blue dial Datejusts have exploded in popularity over the past few months.

668C6854-880B-42F2-B13C-836764FC64B7.jpeg

DCAFDC36-7CDF-4DB1-BEE7-151044342193.jpeg
2FA77FAE-86A0-42F8-8DE5-090F35AF2624.jpeg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll go skateboarding after timing some laps around the race track. #authenticity

9F764F49-02B3-4123-BDD9-A2A76FCA660D.jpeg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue happens to be my fav color so I will always vouch for it when asked for input......but it's one of the best dial colors for a DJ/DD. Looks almost black but also a stunning shade of blue in the right light :cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads