• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mockingboy

Reaction score
He is clearly one of the best today and until relatively recently (5 years ago) most people didn't know that. Even Clapton calls him a Master.

There are some outtakes from years back of him going back to Berkley School of Music (where he went) and playing with some students; really cool stuff.

Say what you will about Mayer's singing, but he is an excellent guitar player.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Say what you will about Mayer's singing, but he is an excellent guitar player.

He is an excellent vocalist and writer as well as one of the greatest living guitarists—certainly the greatest of his generation.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a serious Grateful Dead lover, it says a lot that the guy who wrote "Your Body Is a Wonderland" has been accepted by the Deadhead community in the current incarnation of Dead & Co.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a serious Grateful Dead lover, it says a lot that the guy who wrote "Your Body Is a Wonderland" has been accepted by the Deadhead community in the current incarnation of Dead & Co.

He is an exceptionally talented guy.

And while I don’t always 100% agree with him on watches, he does demonstrate sharp, well-studied, individualistic taste and deep earnestness in his enthusiasm.

His two Hodinkee Talking Watches episodes below:

Anyway, agree with his taste in watches or not, I’m not sure I can think of any individual off the top of my head with more influence in the hobby today.

Last edited:

mockingboy

Reaction score
Conkers...:cool:

And while I don’t always 100% agree with him on watches, he does demonstrate sharp, well-studied, individualistic taste and deep earnestness in his enthusiasm.

Anyway, agree with his taste in watches or not, I’m not sure I can think of any individual off the top of my head with more influence in the hobby
today.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
DSC01567.JPG

Seiko "Bond" watch in GP. with nearly 40 years of patina.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t personally think Joe Biden has any noteworthy taste, but tell that to all the people in this thread suddenly clamoring for blue dial Datejusts as if they suddenly found Jesus.

Whether you like him or not, John Mayer is one of the most influential streetwear figures in pop culture and one of the most influential watch collectors, period. What planet have you been on?

Earth, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you seem to be.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Earth, but I'm not so enthusiastic about it. I suppose your taste skews more pop than mine.

It’s not about my taste or yours. You said “tastemakers” in general.

As for being “more pop”—might be worthwhile to listen to more of John Mayer’s music, not just his radio hits. He is an exceptional blues/country songwriter and guitarist.

Anyway, in watches, Mayer’s influence is transcendental of genre. People buy the watches he wears regardless of whether they have any familiarity with his music or personal style.

He single-handedly made the rainbow Daytona cool and the green-dialed YG Daytona a grail watch. I don’t like either, but the influence is unmistakable.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, agree with his taste in watches or not, I’m not sure I can think of any individual off the top of my head with more influence in the hobby today.

When I saw these videos a couple of years ago I realized there were whole other levels to being into watches that my current interests and knowledge. I can't remember which one its in, but there's a part where he winds one of the older watches and comments on the winding sound and 'chunkiness' of the movement and you can see how giddy he is about it

I've known he was a truly talented musician for a while, and I was pleasantly surprised at how he slid into his current Dead role. But it was really refreshing and humanizing to see how enthusiastic about something totally separate from music. Certainly helped re-frame him from the jerk playboy that the media likes to portray him as.

In Dead/watch hobbyist analogies, I realized I was the type of guy who might say that I like Working Man's Dead over American Beauty or might be able to point to Barton Hall being the "best" Dead concert. Mayer was the type of guy to tell you that Fall of '79 is criminally underrated, and that 87-90 were arguably some of the best years for the Dead.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a kid/teen, I 100% fell in love with the Pepsi GMT cause it was on Magnum PI, and my interest in a Submariner started when I realized it was the watch that Connery's James Bond wore.

Of course, as I got older I realized there were a multitude of other (better) reasons to love these watches, but that is certainly where it started...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
"hey, that kind of looks like Tom Selleck"
- Eric Cartman.

Jokes aside, i'll miss seeing him on screen. He was so likeable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads