• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but how many different watches command over msrp ? Specific brands and specific models ? These particular brands and models seem to have appeal beyond just the watch. The Daytona is a nice chrono, but there are a lot of nice chronos from other brands. The Submariner. What is it about the watch that makes it command above msrp ? I can get a Seamaster or Planet Ocean just walking into the store.

If people are willing to defy logic and pay substantially above msrp just because they want a specific watch from a specific brand and cannot wait, well, that might bring along someone who sees a $ making opportunity.

you can't do this with every commodity. not just any sweatshirt or sports watch. there has to be a corner of value.

so you find a corner. paragon steel sports watch. paragon skate brand. paragon whatever. southern stoneware is interesting! dave drake. paragon. *value*.

and it gets cornered. by *enthusiasts*. *collectors*, *hobbyists*, *middlemen*. *speculators*. *hypebeasts*. and finally, *suckers*.

the wheel will stop. value will out.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FA469A77-1647-410C-B68A-19E1A53291D4.jpeg

this one i really enjoyed. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST.

39mm case. Watch was from 2008 but it looked new and of course it’s timeless.

dan'l

Reaction score
Speaking of making things true that're on the net, can we put our wish list for what models our favourite makers should do next here, and then have somebody make sure they get that info?
Lately I‘ve been lusting after gold watches. It‘d be great if Rolex introduces a PM watch without a date. So far the only one is the Daytona. I‘d be keen in something along the lines of an Explorer in YG (brushed, since I‘m dreaming) or an OP in 39mm in gold. Of course then I‘d have to wait until they are available used, since I can hardly afford a PM watch new.

I realize that PM watches are at the higher end of most brand‘s catalogs, so it makes sense that the top-of-the-line models are the ones eligible for gold, platinum, etc., versus the „base“ models. But how cool would it be to have a simple watch like the OP in YG?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patek 5711 now with an olive green dial.

lexmann

Reaction score
The Breitling chrono's are pretty. But the thickness kills. IWC continued to be disappointing.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the 5711 is not discontinued. It's just the blue dial being replaced by green.
Someone commented on Hodinkee calling it the Patek Hulk. Seems like green is the new it color replacing blue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads