• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don't think this thread is important enough that all the marketing and R&D bigwigs for the major watchmakers have their eyes glued to their screens and are constantly pressing F5 for updates? How non-Styleforvm of you.

They read online discussions. Just not this one.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen either ad in print, only on the net. I'd be shocked if the BMW one is real, as it seems a bit over the top for such a conservative brand that largely targets families -selling sedans and SUVS. Still they are amusing.
The BMW one was sent to me in the mid-late 2000s by a friend and stuck in my head ever since. Back then BMW was cooler - see Jeremy Clarkson (also cooler then) complaining about Chris Bangle "ruining" the "driver's brand" - and they didn't set themselves on fire in car parks. I vaguely remember people trying to get pre Bangle 3 and 5 series for the driving experience - and like some of the watches recently discussed, that meant used. With hindsight they were just the first in a trend that swept the industry for fatter, electronics ladden fancy school buses with tiny hyper efficient engines and bland, overly complex, messy aesthetics.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They read online discussions. Just not this one.

Dammit. I have a model planned for each of Rolex, Omega, Panerai and JLC that could convince me to actually buy more watches.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go to the taxi stand corridor of the ION Orchard mall in Singapore, whose left half looking into the mall is taken by Patek, you will be greeted by two wall sized ads. One is the customary "you don't buy..." father and son, the other a huge Nautilus with no ad copy, in the same colour scheme. Couldn't help but think "that's literally true now"

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full on Frankensteining. Hold on, I'll write 'em up.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen either ad in print, only on the net. I'd be shocked if the BMW one is real, as it seems a bit over the top for such a conservative brand that largely targets families -selling sedans and SUVS. Still they are amusing.

or it may have been intended for a European audience. They tend not to go batshit crazy over ads like that.

If business insider is to be believed, the ad was created by a Greek agency but never ran:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lets hear 'em

This is quickly hobbled together, but it should give an idea.

For the Rolex, either an OP or a Datejust (since it's never happening, I actually haven't made my mind up about whether to go date-less or not). 38mm case, slim lugs. Brushed steel and brushed Oyster bracelet. Slim, applied markers (no double markers). Probably no lume on the markers, but maybe a small lume dot like in the following linked pics. Should come with a white (not silver) dial. Someone recently posted a great looking Rolex (a Datejust?) that actually had a white dial. I would also want a blue dial to swap with. And absolutely no trashy LEXROLEXROLEXRO rehaut.

For the Omega, simply a Speedmaster Professional as close in design to the original (so plexi front and solid caseback) but with an automatic movement (and no new added dial text). And one of the older styled bracelets with three elements. Brushed.

Similarly for the JLC, a Reverso, something like this, solid caseback and the only real change being an auto movement.

The Panerai gets a bigger makeover. I sold off my Luminor Marina as it was too big, and I've since come to appreciate the Radiomir more. I'm not looking for the 'Big Watch' Panerai experience, but I still very much enjoy their design. So I'd want a base Radiomir (so two hands, no seconds, no date), maybe a chocolate (sandwich) dial but black would be fine, and shrunk to a 38mm case. Solid case back and auto movement. I'm sure the design could hold up in a smaller version, and an added benefit would be that it would be less glaringly blingy, with less of that mirror shined polished steel on the case (I'd still want to bang it up a bit to add some natural 'brushing').

And no icky blue lume. Green for all.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Murray's other daughter, Nancy, owns Relish, a successful womens clothing boutique in DC that has been in business for 25 years. Many years ago when Relish carried mens clothing, I asked her about Debi. Nancy rolled her eyes and made a snarky comment.

Purchased a Rag&Bone jacket there back in 2006 or so that I still have... No idea there was a Louis connection.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of making things true that're on the net, can we put our wish list for what models our favourite makers should do next here, and then have somebody make sure they get that info?
For me my requests are

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean with ceramic bezel but with the same dimensions at the 42mm 2500 co-axial. Basically the Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition released like 10 years ago but with the updated 8800/8900 movement.

AP RO 15202 in YG as regular production watch.

Rolex GMT with black and red ceramic bezel.

Cartier Santos large model with no date. Also a gold Tank Americaine with no date.

Vacheron Constantin 222 in steel a 39mm.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Railmaster is decent, but I strongly prefer the applied indices and 3-6-9 markers on the Explorer. As for IWC, I also like the Mark 18 also, but not as much as the Exp. That is just visual appearance as well, and doesn't take into consideration any differences in movement or bracelet, etc.

If you're comparing other Omegas/IWCs then it's really apples/oranges. Sure, I like the Portugeiser chrono more than an Explorer, but that's not a valid comparison.
I agree somewhat - there are some sporty IWC portuguese model on rubber that's pretty sporty
Absolutely correct. Flippers are creating essential liquidity in the market.
maybe people are taking advantage of a hot watch being sold to fund another watch they want and that's either expensive/ or loses value immediately. not everything is black and white and I don't the never ending banter about it will change anything. watch world is crazy and maybe it will cool down at some point but it doesn't look like it anytime soon.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys, it’s quite simple.

Right now, there are two ways to get a steel Daytona or GMT: (1) rack-up sufficient spend at an AD or (2) pay a flipper. If there were no flippers, there would be only one way.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Guys, it’s quite simple.

Right now, there are two ways to get a steel Daytona or GMT: (1) rack-up sufficient spend at an AD or (2) pay a flipper. If there were no flippers, there would be only one way.
Id have to get an economist to calculate the market, but I would strongly assume that if you took flippers completely out of the market, the amount of spend you would need at an AD would decrease, probably pretty significantly.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id have to get an economist to calculate the market, but I would strongly assume that if you took flippers completely out of the market, the amount of spend you would need at an AD would decrease, probably pretty significantly.

perhaps, but you’ve also skewed the market so it’s difficult to say how it would evolve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads