• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that some people are very transactional and just want a product at a good price, but good service, and a good experience, can really make a sale.

Back in my mid-20s, I went backpacking through Asia. After three months of island-hopping and mountain-climbing in Indonesia, I stopped off for a week in Singapore and took a walk up Orchard Road. I was dressed very casually - sweat-stained cap, t-shirt, cargo shorts and scuffed hiking boots - but was treated very nicely in all the stores I visited.

I looked in to the Lanvin store - this was back when Lanvin hadn't gone all streetwear and still sold lovely neckties that prominently featured "Lanvin blue" - and somehow ended up chatting with the two lovely salesladies about Chinese eunuchs and the Forbidden City in Beijing. Even though I didn't buy anything, I'd mentioned I had a couple of Lanvin ties back at home, and they gave me a Lanvin tie travel case as a gift.

I then strolled past the Armani store and saw a tie in the window, on the mannequin, that had a printed pattern of origami cranes all over it. I walked in and asked about the tie, and was told that the one on the mannequin was the last one. The salesperson apologised for the inconvenience, sat me down, gave me a glass of juice to drink while I waited, got the tie from the mannequin, lightly steamed the knot area to remove the creasing, and packaged it up in a presentation box, all the while apologising for making me wait.

That's the sort of service that you really remember, even a couple of decades later.

I certainly like to be treated nicely when shopping, especially when spending a significant amount of money on something that is really a luxury, not a necessity. The tough part these days is that SA's at ADs for very high demand watches know they don't have to provide exceptional service as there are always people who will buy regardless of how they are treated, because at end of the day they want that watch very badly. They aren't going to walk out the door if the SA who is going to sell them a RO, SS Daytona, or Nautilus isn't all that attentive...because chances are it could be months or years before they find another AD who will sell it to them at MSRP. Its sort of a sad situation, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I agree that a great shopping experience makes it more likely that I will return, and do business with a particular shop and SA repeatedly. If I have a good rapport with an SA, it makes the experience nicer. They know me, they know my taste, my life style, and maybe some of my collection, so they aren't trying to push duplicative things on me. Plus it just makes the experience far more fun.

Years ago, when I started buying very nice clothing, there was a store in Boston (Louis...they were pioneers in finding and bringing in European brands to the states. They were the first to bring in brands like Barbera, Zegna, Armani, etc. in the late 70s. Eventually some brands were available at Saks and Neimans down the street. However, an SA I met and worked with just had a fantastic eye for color, textures, patterns and mixing them. Far better than the guys at dedicated brand boutiques. However, his sense of humor, sometimes a bit self deprecating, sometimes poking a bit of fun at clients like me, who he knew well, made each visit so much fun. I've worked with other SA's since the store has closed, and some are quite nice, but the experience just hasn't been the same. Thankfully, I still have fun memories of those visits and I occasionally still bump into my old SA from Louis.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I lurk quite a bit but rarely post in this thread. Saw something pretty special yesterday and wanted to share.
Background is I have a watch and jewelry guy although he is more friend over the years as I don't buy much. He has a local shop and I try and stop in when I am in the neighborhood. He knows I have an interest in watches and he will often take the opportunity to show me what he has in shop. I am never quite sure if he has purchased these watches to sell or not.
Anyway, I had not been in for a while and when I stopped by yesterday he was excited to show me a watch. I am not an expert by any stretch but I did recognize this as soon as I saw it and he kindly let me try it on.
View attachment 1569307
I assumed this would generate some excitement here so I took a quick photo.
So, he let me know this was from 1961 and that the watch was probably worth between $25,000 and $50,000. Looks like a 5512 and the only other thing I know is it did not have box or papers.
Spent some time online and the prices are pretty much all over the place.
I doubt I would ever be able to get something as valuable as this but I was hoping some of you could give me some things to look for or ask about next time I see him. (It may be a while)
This would be a grail rolex at least to me and I am happy to figure out if I could make it happen in the future. No doubt I would have to trade/sell my current sub (pictured below) which I inherited from my father but which I find the two tone to be too flashy for my taste and don't wear it much outside of special occasions.
View attachment 1569308
Obviously selling this would not be anywhere near enough to buy a 5512 but what would you guess this is really worth, no box or papers either.
Hope you enjoy the 5512 and that it will generate a little fun in the thread today. And thank you all.

I much prefer your Sub to the vintage one, but in general my opinion is that most “vintage” watches just look old and worn out to me.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think old chronographs look cool.

I continually go back and forth about whether or not to get an Explorer 1016. But I know if I did, I would prefer one with a service dial and hands that looked newer to one that was old and dirty (uh, I mean patina’d).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only vintage watches I really like are Speedmasters. Other than that I’m not a huge fan of vintage watches.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m all for vintage rolexes providing they have all original parts and non-molested factory finishes. Hard to come across one that ticks those boxes. Don`t mind the wear on the lume, bezel, case, crystal, etc.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the white 114200. Wanted the 36 but my dealer only had this 34 at the time due to rolex being closed due to the environment.

I think you were fortunate they didn't have the OP36. I much prefer the OP34 and that's a great watch. I like the 3, 6 and 9 markers being slightly larger than the other markers. I wish I had this watch myself. I do have the olive dial though which I love.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of yours? Man I love those and the grape dial. Yeah, I agree, I had an Air King 5500 before this and the 34 is so nice to wear.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of yours? Man I love those and the grape dial. Yeah, I agree, I had an Air King 5500 before this and the 34 is so nice to wear.

Not the best shot, but only one I have at the moment:

3755B5DC-4D43-4F4A-AE0B-0E621695358C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads