• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like it too. It looks like a knockoff of the 1970's / 80's Oysterquartz -- but it also looks great! For some reason that I can't put my finger on, they really did a fantastic job with this model. That is a great-looking watch. If you get it please post pics!
It's nearly identical to a watch Tissot made in '78 - but that one definitely took inspiration from other integrated bracelet watches from that period. You can see the new and the original side by side on Tissot's site here (scroll down a bit). bdavro's link also had the same pic of the original (cleverly photographed to hide the no longer used Seastar branding).

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in my mid-20s, I went backpacking through Asia. After three months of island-hopping and mountain-climbing in Indonesia, I stopped off for a week in Singapore and took a walk up Orchard Road. I was dressed very casually - sweat-stained cap, t-shirt, cargo shorts and scuffed hiking boots - but was treated very nicely in all the stores I visited.
I believe the colloquial term is "AMDK" isn't it @crazn

Today we are still profiled, just differently. My experience in the Malmaison or ION Hourglass etc. is the SAs will be polite but not volunteer much info. Ready just in case, but already mentally checked out and polishing their mandarin for the real "DK" of this century, processing you through the bare minimum to tick off the politeness checklist.

That's the sort of service that you really remember, even a couple of decades later.
Also the sort of service which barely exists anymore on the island, unless you are lucky enough to come across a young hungry mainland Chinese SA, and then the language is still a bit of a barrier. Or maybe new shops that are still in the influencer wooing phase. Awful service even in the best establishments is probably the second most common expat complaint after the heat. That's the downside of unemployment rate being below the natural rate for so long...

On a personal level, in the region at least, I long for Aussie service. With all the high value tourism and real estate boom, it's the one place (other than Japan) where you can get consistently great, personal service in most places.

Coming back to the thread subject I did a double take when I saw who made this... surprisingly subdued, but the Russian tale spinning is in fact in the subject, the good old "we stagnated until the Renaissance" idea that was pumped by the same mafiosi-turned-statesmen who poured untold resources into art as propaganda to further their legitimacy, legitimacy then borrowed by later generations (e.g. the Victorians) to prop their own growth up the same through appeal to classicism, the whole thing is a good way to get any middle ages historian to rant for a few hours over a beer, anyway I digress:

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PXL_20210307_150136734.jpg

Covid-era OP

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's a great looking OP - what size? And I assume out of production - what's the ref?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the 34. Classic size. Currently in the hunt for the 114270 explorer.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's baffling to me that Rolex aren't able to offer up this nice clean design in a 36mm watch.

Even the current 34 doesn't look as nice as this.

Is the dial silver? From the photo it looks like it may be off-white?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the white 114200. Wanted the 36 but my dealer only had this 34 at the time due to rolex being closed due to the environment.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's definitely one of the most handsome newer production Rolexes.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great stories y'all!

Service matters but it is also in the eye of the customer..........set realistic expectations you will rarely be let down. Most SAs are average at what they do, so I'm not surprised to hear about some of these events.

My contact at Wempe is great to chat with and responsive.........however I'm also not expecting him to hold my hand and tell me how handsome I am. My experience at Betteridge was poor due to lack of communication, which could have been easily avoided with a little effort from the SA. However, I got what I wanted at the best price and so I'm ok with the end result, I left a review on Chrono24 according to my experience so hopefully others can set a better expectation when dealing with them.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami's Design District is the best place in the country to browse watches. All of the boutiques are situated around an outdoor courtyard so it's easy and efficient to see everything you want to see. And because everyone in Miami dresses casually, ADs can't discriminate based on dress. I've always had good experiences there.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I lurk quite a bit but rarely post in this thread. Saw something pretty special yesterday and wanted to share.
Background is I have a watch and jewelry guy although he is more friend over the years as I don't buy much. He has a local shop and I try and stop in when I am in the neighborhood. He knows I have an interest in watches and he will often take the opportunity to show me what he has in shop. I am never quite sure if he has purchased these watches to sell or not.
Anyway, I had not been in for a while and when I stopped by yesterday he was excited to show me a watch. I am not an expert by any stretch but I did recognize this as soon as I saw it and he kindly let me try it on.
20210306_105141.jpg

I assumed this would generate some excitement here so I took a quick photo.
So, he let me know this was from 1961 and that the watch was probably worth between $25,000 and $50,000. Looks like a 5512 and the only other thing I know is it did not have box or papers.
Spent some time online and the prices are pretty much all over the place.
I doubt I would ever be able to get something as valuable as this but I was hoping some of you could give me some things to look for or ask about next time I see him. (It may be a while)
This would be a grail rolex at least to me and I am happy to figure out if I could make it happen in the future. No doubt I would have to trade/sell my current sub (pictured below) which I inherited from my father but which I find the two tone to be too flashy for my taste and don't wear it much outside of special occasions.
20210307_113239.jpg

Obviously selling this would not be anywhere near enough to buy a 5512 but what would you guess this is really worth, no box or papers either.
Hope you enjoy the 5512 and that it will generate a little fun in the thread today. And thank you all.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I lurk quite a bit but rarely post in this thread. Saw something pretty special yesterday and wanted to share.
Background is I have a watch and jewelry guy although he is more friend over the years as I don't buy much. He has a local shop and I try and stop in when I am in the neighborhood. He knows I have an interest in watches and he will often take the opportunity to show me what he has in shop. I am never quite sure if he has purchased these watches to sell or not.
Anyway, I had not been in for a while and when I stopped by yesterday he was excited to show me a watch. I am not an expert by any stretch but I did recognize this as soon as I saw it and he kindly let me try it on.
View attachment 1569307
I assumed this would generate some excitement here so I took a quick photo.
So, he let me know this was from 1961 and that the watch was probably worth between $25,000 and $50,000. Looks like a 5512 and the only other thing I know is it did not have box or papers.
Spent some time online and the prices are pretty much all over the place.
I doubt I would ever be able to get something as valuable as this but I was hoping some of you could give me some things to look for or ask about next time I see him. (It may be a while)
This would be a grail rolex at least to me and I am happy to figure out if I could make it happen in the future. No doubt I would have to trade/sell my current sub (pictured below) which I inherited from my father but which I find the two tone to be too flashy for my taste and don't wear it much outside of special occasions.
View attachment 1569308
Obviously selling this would not be anywhere near enough to buy a 5512 but what would you guess this is really worth, no box or papers either.
Hope you enjoy the 5512 and that it will generate a little fun in the thread today. And thank you all.

it’s a handsome watch and certainly a grail watch. A couple of observations:
1) the seconds hand does not appear to be original. In fact, in the pic it looks black and I wonder if it’s even a genuine Rolex part.
2) the patina on the dial does not match the hour and minute hands. Those look as though they were replaced.

if that’s the case, I’ll leave to the experts. I’m simply giving my observation. If that’s the case and how that impacts value, I don’t know.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the black on the seconds hand is rust. The hour and minute hands definitely look like service hands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads