• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
How about the Rolex Explorer II with polar dial? Tough as nails, different color dial and complication (GMT), less "Rolex-y."
They look pretty good on leather too, especially the older/smaller reference.
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m certainly not a baller, but I do like being treated like one. Any SA who can make me feel like a big shot makes it all the easier to spend my cash (or more than I was planning) at their establishment.

I’ve always thought the key to sales is relationship management/follow through. Both of the SAs I met in my watch search have been nice and knowledgeable, but I think the true test will be if they reach out for any follow up or feel like I’m starting from square 1 again at trip #2.

Also walking out on a potential sale after being misjudged and seeing the realization in the SAs face that you were a legit customer is a top10 badass feeling, right along side catching someone taking **** in a language that you actually know and responding accordingly

If i ever met a decent SA i'd stick with them. Every encounter i've had is snobby and them offering me **** i dont need.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care so much about the "perks", but I do get frustrated with poor service. I was at a local Whole Foods I go to on occasion and I got in line at a register next to the customer service counter. I was at the back of the line and the woman at the service counter called me over. I went over and told her she should take those in front of me first. So I got back in line and instead some young couple walks over and she takes them instead of the line. After that she starts taking random people and ignores everyone else. I literally just dropped my basket of groceries to the floor and walked out. Mistakes happen and far be it for me to tell someone how to do their job, but if everyone in front of you is already waiting and this has been pointed out to you... And then on a more recent trip I got their 15 minutes before closing and the woman tells me they close in 15 minutes. I literally ignored her as I walked past and was out in 5 minutes, but I'm there before you close. If you want to close 15 minutes early then do so, but no need to tell me much less presume I'm going to be there after you close.

ronscuba

Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, my wife and I went to the Manhattan Cartier location with an appointment. They made us wait 20 minutes past the time and then a few minutes into it, they told us that the following person was arriving so we needed to cut our time short. We were on the verge of buying a full size JUC bracelet for her, but got completely turned off by that experience.

In the following weeks, we ended up purchasing from an SA at a more local place in NJ and he was truly excellent.
The 20 minute wait was probably the appt before you going over on time. Cutting your time short because the following appt was arriving is unprofessional. That is not how you treat a customer.

We've had good experiences at the NYC 5th Ave location. Made purchases on each of our 3 visits with the same SA.

Polite professional service is expected. I think additional perks are usually related to $ spent. Pouches, cleaning kits, cologne, perfume, additional leather strap, a nice leather bag, etc.. Similar to a bartender giving a big pour to a regular or a good tipper.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few months ago with my Jan 2020 - 114060. I read through a lot of TRF and some posters suggested that 'people didn't move around enough'. Well I didn't want to send in my brand new watch to get serviced during COVID, so I just kept using it.

In the last few months I switched from wearing my watch on my left wrist to my right wrist for various reasons. I never had the issue with the watch stopping overnight again and has held its power without issue.

My thinking is that I'm a desk-diver and I use my right hand at work much more and keeps it wound, while I don't use my left hand as much not topping up the power reserve.

I hope this helps out because it was a big relief not to have to send it to RSC.
Just catching up on the thread and it turned out the watch just needed to be wound. No problems ever since!

I use my hands while talking so the watch gets plenty of motion to charge the movement =)

Last edited:

montecristo#2

Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought the key to sales is relationship management/follow through... I think the true test will be if they reach out for any follow up or feel like I’m starting from square 1 again at trip #2.

Also walking out on a potential sale after being misjudged and seeing the realization in the SAs face that you were a legit customer is a top10 badass feeling, right along side catching someone taking **** in a language that you actually know and responding accordingly

The tough part is with something like a sports model Rolex, there are so many people that want them, at least at this point it seems like many don't care if they get you as a customer, since there seem to be a dozens of people they can sell to. Its different with brands that are slower to sell and don't have the same demand. They are sitting on those pieces, and they could make a sale with what is in the showcase. Maybe not today, but the next time you could in to look at one. Actually, I was in my local Rolex AD today, and I could hear an SA on the phone saying, "The Rolex websites is so that you can see the products. Unlike some brands they do not sell watches through their website. No, I'm sorry I can't take your credit card and call you when one arrives. We can't do phone orders and we have a list of people waiting for that watch already." The only sports watches in their case were a tutone Yachtmaster 2 and a midsize tutone Yachtmaster.

As for being misjudged, I still love the story of former NY Yankee, Reggie Jackson walking into a Rolls Royce dealership at the height of his fame. None of the salesmen recognized him or bothered with him because he was wearing flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt and sunglasses. But one young guy came over asked if he could help, and he bought a brand new Rolls Royce from that guy.

Love that VC.

Thank you! :cheers:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know its a bit of a knock off. And I also know that it probably feels a bit cheap compared to more expensive watches. But I really like this for some reason.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, my wife and I were in Vegas, and were killing time before a nice dinner. I went into a watch shop and she went into LV. She texted and asked me to come in and look at a hand bag she liked. So I went in to the store and the entire staff stood at the counter chatting among themselves, and could not be bothered to come over to see if my wife had questions or wanted to see anything else. We weren't dressed like slobs wearing flip flops and pajama pants- although even if we were they should have come over to greet us or see if we needed help. The bag was fine, and my wife liked it. We waited a few minutes, but no service...no problem. I just said, loudly enough to be heard, "They all seem too busy to help, I'll get it for you in the Boston boutique."

I know that some people are very transactional and just want a product at a good price, but good service, and a good experience, can really make a sale.

Back in my mid-20s, I went backpacking through Asia. After three months of island-hopping and mountain-climbing in Indonesia, I stopped off for a week in Singapore and took a walk up Orchard Road. I was dressed very casually - sweat-stained cap, t-shirt, cargo shorts and scuffed hiking boots - but was treated very nicely in all the stores I visited.

I looked in to the Lanvin store - this was back when Lanvin hadn't gone all streetwear and still sold lovely neckties that prominently featured "Lanvin blue" - and somehow ended up chatting with the two lovely salesladies about Chinese eunuchs and the Forbidden City in Beijing. Even though I didn't buy anything, I'd mentioned I had a couple of Lanvin ties back at home, and they gave me a Lanvin tie travel case as a gift.

I then strolled past the Armani store and saw a tie in the window, on the mannequin, that had a printed pattern of origami cranes all over it. I walked in and asked about the tie, and was told that the one on the mannequin was the last one. The salesperson apologised for the inconvenience, sat me down, gave me a glass of juice to drink while I waited, got the tie from the mannequin, lightly steamed the knot area to remove the creasing, and packaged it up in a presentation box, all the while apologising for making me wait.

That's the sort of service that you really remember, even a couple of decades later.

As for being misjudged, I still love the story of former NY Yankee, Reggie Jackson walking into a Rolls Royce dealership at the height of his fame. None of the salesmen recognized him or bothered with him because he was wearing flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt and sunglasses. But one young guy came over asked if he could help, and he bought a brand new Rolls Royce from that guy.

I don't know whether these stories are true, or involve a bit of exaggeration, but I heard a very similar story here in Australia.

An old schoolfriend of mine used to work as an accountant for a large Porsche dealership and when he started there, one of the staff told him about a time when a man in his 50s came in to the dealership. He was sunburned, had a bit of a beer gut, was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. None of the salespeople wanted anything to do with him because they thought he looked like a tyre-kicker, but then a new salesperson thought that he may as well have a chat with him. It turned out that the customer owned a successful trucking company and was looking for a car for his wife. So the salesman sold him a Boxster for his wife and then a few weeks later, he came back to the dealership, asked for the same salesman, and bought a top-of-the-line 911 from him.

As I say, it may be apocryphal, but it certainly illustrates the old saw that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover - particularly nowadays when some of the wealthiest people dress very casually!

an draoi

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I were kept waiting for nearly an hour for an appointment when we were buying a car last year (pre Covid) we ended up walking out and buying a car elsewhere.

Good service matters.
I'll see you your shoddy car dealer story and raise you this.

While staying with my parents last autumn, my wife and I took the opportunity to drive out to a Porsche dealer near their home specifically for a test drive (test drives at London dealerships are largely a waste of time unless you just want to get an idea of what the car is like while sitting in traffic).

So it's during Covid and by appointment only, and we arrive early. The sales rep with whom we have the appointment is tied up with another customer, so we wait. And wait. Eventually, a different rep comes with the paperwork and to take our drivers licences, proof of address etc (they keep these for the duration of the test drive).

Off we go on the test drive. We get back and the rep is still with the same customer (I really hope he closed that sale). We hang around, chat to some of the other reps. They are all polite and helpful, but it is obvious that no one wants to take responsibility for us. Eventually, after another hour or so, our rep becomes available and we have time for a 30 minute discussion before the dealership closes.

The next day he calls to let me know that we had left without our drivers licences etc. I'm a bit pissed off, partly at myself for forgetting such an important thing, but more at the rep/dealer as it was primarily their responsibility to give these back to us and the disorganisation around the appointment was a clear factor in their failure to do so. But it's easily rectified and, to save us (or the rep) a 90 minute round trip, I agree that the rep can send them by recorded delivery.

I wait. And wait. And begin to get worried at their failure to arrive. I try multiple times to get hold of the rep to find out whether/when they have been sent, ask for tracking details. He doesn't bother to return my calls and simply responds with an email saying, yes we sent them and yes we know they have arrived with you because the tracking shows they have been signed for. When I finally do manage to speak to him (after about a week of trying) I demand that he give me the tracking details. With these, and a bit of detective work (and a lot of luck) I finally track the package down to a the house of an absent neighbour, where it had been correctly delivered, since the rep had put the wrong address on it (despite our address being printed on every piece of documentation including our drivers licences)!

Now bearing in mind that the package contained enough documentation to commit comprehensive identity fraud against us, you can understand that by now I am going absolutely radio ******* rental (and kicking myself for not driving back to collect them).

I made a complaint to the dealership manager. He simply delegated down to his sales manager, who simply sent me an email inviting me to call her if I wanted to discuss the matter further. No apology, far less an acknowledgment of the gravity or potential consequences of their series of mistakes and god-awful customer service.

At this point I gave up. The experience won't influence my decision on whether to buy a Porsche for my next car, but it won't be from that dealer. Similarly to some of the other stories here, I guess a bad experience from an AD or dealer puts you off that person/store, but is less likely to put you off the brand.

(Of course, if I do buy the car, I will get in touch with the manager and sales manager of that dealer afterwards to let them know the details of the sale and where I bought it from, as a Parthian ****-you-right-back.)

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll see you your shoddy car dealer story and raise you this.

While staying with my parents last autumn, my wife and I took the opportunity to drive out to a Porsche dealer near their home specifically for a test drive (test drives at London dealerships are largely a waste of time unless you just want to get an idea of what the car is like while sitting in traffic).

So it's during Covid and by appointment only, and we arrive early. The sales rep with whom we have the appointment is tied up with another customer, so we wait. And wait. Eventually, a different rep comes with the paperwork and to take our drivers licences, proof of address etc (they keep these for the duration of the test drive).

Off we go on the test drive. We get back and the rep is still with the same customer (I really hope he closed that sale). We hang around, chat to some of the other reps. They are all polite and helpful, but it is obvious that no one wants to take responsibility for us. Eventually, after another hour or so, our rep becomes available and we have time for a 30 minute discussion before the dealership closes.

The next day he calls to let me know that we had left without our drivers licences etc. I'm a bit pissed off, partly at myself for forgetting such an important thing, but more at the rep/dealer as it was primarily their responsibility to give these back to us and the disorganisation around the appointment was a clear factor in their failure to do so. But it's easily rectified and, to save us (or the rep) a 90 minute round trip, I agree that the rep can send them by recorded delivery.

I wait. And wait. And begin to get worried at their failure to arrive. I try multiple times to get hold of the rep to find out whether/when they have been sent, ask for tracking details. He doesn't bother to return my calls and simply responds with an email saying, yes we sent them and yes we know they have arrived with you because the tracking shows they have been signed for. When I finally do manage to speak to him (after about a week of trying) I demand that he give me the tracking details. With these, and a bit of detective work (and a lot of luck) I finally track the package down to a the house of an absent neighbour, where it had been correctly delivered, since the rep had put the wrong address on it (despite our address being printed on every piece of documentation including our drivers licences)!

Now bearing in mind that the package contained enough documentation to commit comprehensive identity fraud against us, you can understand that by now I am going absolutely radio ******* rental (and kicking myself for not driving back to collect them).

I made a complaint to the dealership manager. He simply delegated down to his sales manager, who simply sent me an email inviting me to call her if I wanted to discuss the matter further. No apology, far less an acknowledgment of the gravity or potential consequences of their series of mistakes and god-awful customer service.

At this point I gave up. The experience won't influence my decision on whether to buy a Porsche for my next car, but it won't be from that dealer. Similarly to some of the other stories here, I guess a bad experience from an AD or dealer puts you off that person/store, but is less likely to put you off the brand.

(Of course, if I do buy the car, I will get in touch with the manager and sales manager of that dealer afterwards to let them know the details of the sale and where I bought it from, as a Parthian ****-you-right-back.)
Yeah, that trumps my story ?

Good choice of car though, I’m a big fan of Porsche - I’ve had a 911 as a second car for the last 5 years.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know its a bit of a knock off. And I also know that it probably feels a bit cheap compared to more expensive watches. But I really like this for some reason.
I quite like that, thanks for posting it here.

Actually very tempted to get the quartz version, as it seems very true to the '78 original: no tapisserie style dial and even better, no stupid display case back (and of course, the original was quartz too). From a quick glance at reviews, it seems like it's surprisingly well finished as well.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like it too. It looks like a knockoff of the 1970's / 80's Oysterquartz -- but it also looks great! For some reason that I can't put my finger on, they really did a fantastic job with this model. That is a great-looking watch. If you get it please post pics!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
In my experience, Salespeople can but irrationally judgemental. Chasing the target big fish. . .

I have been both sides of the counter.
Good customer service is a gift to a stranger.
Make a new friend? Sales follow. And you get more customers. That said, i have seen some real shitbags in customer service. Even as a customer.

Even worse, at job interviews. . :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads