• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Congrats! Very nice graduation gift. Thanks for the suggestion. I like the Senator line and the hands are a bit whimsical, like the old Patek 5015/5054 or Peter Speake-Marin. . I'm not currently in need of a dress watch (I have a few) and my sports watches generally seem to get more wear...but if I were going to get something, I'd wait until after April to see the new releases. Cheers!

agree, my sports watch definitely gets way more wear as I haven’t been in an office or courtroom (in person) in almost a year. Some might dislike the whimsical hint in the Senator line, but to me that’s what makes it perfect. It’s a serious dress watch, but has a little shade of fun and fantasy to it that I don’t get with JLC master controls for instance. But for some people, that little spade and blue hands is a total no go in a dress watch. Total preference.

the only upgrade I would consider dress watch wise is the next tier above GO, something like Lange or Patek, but that’s not where I want to spend my watch money at this point in my life. Having one nice dress watch is more than sufficient for me. One day, maybe, I’ll check out Patek but I won’t be able to tell Mrs. ides!

pmeis

Reaction score
The black dial GO Senator Excellence is a very underrated watch IMO and if you can get it around ~$6k, represents a nice value. I'm actually not sure why I haven't picked one up yet.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Glashute Original? As a while but also specifically the Pano series.

I used to dislike GO quite a bit. I'm still not a fan of the Pano series because when I see it, and this is regardless of which came first, I think it just looks "cheaper" than a Lange 1. Of course it is cheaper so that would stand to reason. That's not to say it's a bad watch, but I would just think that the end goal would be a Lange 1. What I will say though is that it can come off as more of a modern version of that design so if you prefer that then it could be for you. And if the Lange 1 didn't exist I suppose I would be more open to it. I do think the PanoMaticLunar in both the dark grey and blue dials is attractive.

To give GO some credit though, I do like the SeaQ. The panorama date in particular which is odd because I normally can't stand any date window at 4, but that watch is too big if you ask me and at that price point you know where I'd probably go instead. Either way, while I do like the Odysseus, I think Lange might have come up with something like the SeaQ panorama date (minus the arrow hand) as well.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agree, my sports watch definitely gets way more wear as I haven’t been in an office or courtroom (in person) in almost a year. Some might dislike the whimsical hint in the Senator line, but to me that’s what makes it perfect. It’s a serious dress watch, but has a little shade of fun and fantasy to it that I don’t get with JLC master controls for instance. But for some people, that little spade and blue hands is a total no go in a dress watch. Total preference.

the only upgrade I would consider dress watch wise is the next tier above GO, something like Lange or Patek, but that’s not where I want to spend my watch money at this point in my life. Having one nice dress watch is more than sufficient for me. One day, maybe, I’ll check out Patek but I won’t be able to tell Mrs. ides!

I actually, like the hands on the GO Senator a lot. Some watches such as the JLC MUT, are nice, but I find maybe too sterile. I think several watches could benefit from more interesting hands and/or fonts for their numerals on the dial. Even if overall, I like a watch if I don't like the hands and numerals it can be a deal breaker for me.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Flannel shirt, denim, and Indy 403s, call for the Sub today.
20210305_095957.jpg

ronscuba

Reaction score
I remember these when they were new. Nice looking sporty chronograph and very reasonably priced. I just noticed the date and how it is placed so that the number 5 for today's date is aligned with the numbers 4 and 5 on the dial. It seems to blend in a bit more. Many companies seem to put the date at an angle when they have the date between the 4 and 5. Anyway just an interesting detail I noticed.

View attachment 1567874

View attachment 1567878

View attachment 1567879
Wow great choices. We have similar taste.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ronscuba

Reaction score
Just to clarify I posted those watches as examples. I do own a RO, a Santos, and 2 VCs...but not the models that I posted above. Those were just to show the date window placement.

These are the ones I own.

[URL='https://www.styleforum.net/[img]https%3A//i.imgur.com/oXY0n0ul.jpg[/img]'] https%3A//i.imgur.com/GqS9s5ul.jpg[/img]']
https%3A//i.imgur.com/7GeGpzrl.jpg[/img]']

[/URL]
I understand. I still like your taste. I have a Santos too. Have a leather strap coming. I am "on the list" for a RO, whatever that means, LOL. I am enjoying playing around with strap options on my speedmaster.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am "on the list" for a RO, whatever that means, LOL.
If it's an AP owned boutique in NYC or Bal Harbor then that means you're really on a list. If it's a JV AP boutique then the list means nothing.

ronscuba

Reaction score
If it's an AP owned boutique in NYC or Bal Harbor then that means you're really on a list. If it's a JV AP boutique then the list means nothing.
NYC AP boutique. I am sure there are a lot of people throwing around more $ than I, so who knows where I am on the list.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From everything I've heard, AP Corporate tries to be somewhat fair with their allocations of regular pieces. It's when you get into the special pieces like the skeleton, ceramics, 15202, concepts, and perpetual calendars is when the games kick in.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand. I still like your taste. I have a Santos too. Have a leather strap coming. I am "on the list" for a RO, whatever that means, LOL. I am enjoying playing around with strap options on my speedmaster.

Thanks Ron! The Santos is a great piece and a really good value. I wear mine a lot, but mostly on the bracelet. I have the blue calf skin strap it came with, and I also got them to throw in a blue alligator strap with white deviating stitching. I've asked my SA to look into getting a rubber strap and a new deployant for it (as the rubber straps require a revised deployant).

Wishing you luck with the RO. If you are on the NYC Boutique list then I think you have a much better chance of getting a RO at some point. Have fun choosing straps for your Speedy!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My other recent love beside the Tank is this Chopard. I love how the dial works despite how busy it looks. For someone not sold on the size of the Speedmaster or looking for something a little different, I think this fits the bill. It is also pretty slim and wears very well. For all the recent discussion about too many lawyers here, I actually sought it out after seeing a lawyer wearing it. So at least in my opinions lawyers can be of some value from time to time. At least he didn’t charge me to look at his wrist.

View attachment 1567788
To paraphrase the fella a few posts above yours

"It's for people who can't afford an Daytona."?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads