• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has become my favorite in my collection so much so that I sold my Tortue MP.

83EC8C49-2A7B-4693-9A5A-9497C5D1461F.jpeg

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not surprised on both counts. That is a stunner and MP prices got crazy rather quickly.

Thanks. This bracelet is extremely rare as far as I can tell. Far more rare than the MP.

It’s funny because the MP is constantly quoted as limited to a few hundred pieces, but a quick search online will show at least with the white gold version that there are serial numbers in the 500s. And there were CC series and CE series of each. And on the yellow gold at least there were three models—without a letter and with a B or an E. Not sure on white gold. Not to mention the XL size. You can also tell if the movement has ever been serviced based on the bridge layout at 4 o’clock with the crown facing left. Cartier replaced the bridge with fancier polished springs during service. A lot of interesting details that I haven’t seen discussed before.

Definitely agree MP prices are silly as are CPCP prices in general. Two things helped push me to sell beside the current prices and my Tank. The service cost of the MP is now north of USD 3k from what I hear, and as beautiful as the watch is, the slab-sided case profile doesn’t slide under a cuff as well as you might expect. It’s about 10.5mm thick if I recall, but I always felt like my thicker watches were more cuff friendly. Perhaps I will regret letting it go at some point, but I wore it regularly for about 10 years and am happy that the new owner will get to enjoy such a great piece.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This bracelet is extremely rare as far as I can tell. Far more rare than the MP.

It’s funny because the MP is constantly quoted as limited to a few hundred pieces, but a quick search online will show at least with the white gold version that there are serial numbers in the 500s. And there were CC series and CE series of each. And on the yellow gold at least there were three models—without a letter and with a B or an E. Not sure on white gold. Not to mention the XL size. You can also tell if the movement has ever been serviced based on the bridge layout at 4 o’clock with the crown facing left. Cartier replaced the bridge with fancier polished springs during service. A lot of interesting details that I haven’t seen discussed before.

Definitely agree MP prices are silly as are CPCP prices in general. Two things helped push me to sell beside the current prices and my Tank. The service cost of the MP is now north of USD 3k from what I hear, and as beautiful as the watch is, the slab-sided case profile doesn’t slide under a cuff as well as you might expect. It’s about 10.5mm thick if I recall, but I always felt like my thicker watches were more cuff friendly. Perhaps I will regret letting it go at some point, but I wore it regularly for about 10 years and am happy that the new owner will get to enjoy such a great piece.
Personally prefer the GP 8050 MP (same THA movement), but GP have squandered any cache they ever had with current nonsense)

I am presently evaluating this Tank:
470E8DD8-54DD-4AFE-8C2D-722DA60D5D17.jpeg

Issue: bracelet. Just looks heavy (haven’t seen it in person [it’s in Italy], and a tank, ironically, shouldn’t be heavy.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally prefer the GP 8050 MP (same THA movement), but GP have squandered any cache they ever had with current nonsense)

I am presently evaluating this Tank: View attachment 1567006
Issue: bracelet. Just looks heavy (haven’t seen it in person [it’s in Italy], and a tank, ironically, shouldn’t be heavy.

Wow! First that tank is amazing. If it’s anything like mine, the weight is not heavy. I feel the weight of mine is just right. And that bracelet is spectacular. Not sure what the price is, but go for it. That bracelet takes it to the next level. What a piece and the condition looks excellent.

Second, that is my first time hearing GP used the THA movement. I don’t recall reading that before. I had heard UN and De Bethune but never GP. Thanks for enlightening me. I happen to love
GP and own a simple ref 2520 I have posted before.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! First that tank is amazing. If it’s anything like mine, the weight is not heavy. I feel the weight of mine is just right. And that bracelet is spectacular. Not sure what the price is, but go for it. That bracelet takes it to the next level. What a piece and the condition looks excellent.

Second, that is my first time hearing GP used the THA movement. I don’t recall reading that before. I had heard UN and De Bethune but never GP. Thanks for enlightening me. I happen to love
GP and own a simple ref 2520 I have posted before.
Clarification: visually heavy. Though point noted. Thanks

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seals?! Jesus, that's some pretty niche Appreciation content you're into.
Funnily enough, great friend, is currently undertaking his PhD in the southern elephant seal Appreciation within Antarctica, well not exactly! Omit Appreciation for population.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that’s a good looking watch. I bet brown alligator would look nice paired with it.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not shower with any watch, unless there is no secure place to store the watch (like a public shower). In that case, I would try to put the watch in a corner that is visible to me and away from the water and the prying hands of others.

There is, of course, another place you can store the watch...if you are brave enough.

1614869242326.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Tortue MP is a beautiful watch, but I agree there were certainly more than a few hundred produced, as evidenced by the various serial numbers. It's easy to see that a good number were produced as there versions in yg, wg, and pg, different dials (on yellow and wg), and then the XL size was released later. In addition, the MP watches were in productions in some form for the majority of the time that CPCP pieces were produced. I'm not that surprised that you had some issues with it sliding under a dress shirt, as it does wear on the chunky side. The important thing was that you enjoyed it for many years and now you are enjoying other watches.

:inlove: Without a doubt one of the most beautiful Tanks I've ever seen. Absolutely love the bracelet and that it seems to have a matte or brushed finish. Makes it a bit more understated, and in my opinion easier to wear. I hope you get it so we can see some wrist shots of that beauty soon!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty mediocre and uninspired to me. And with the notable exception of the Explorer, I dislike the mixing of the numerals and stick indexes. Also the official description refers to "sprezzaturra", so, you know...

Then it's not just me. I saw it and actually cocked my head to the side in disbelief of how banal it is.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then it's not just me. I saw it and actually cocked my head to the side in disbelief of how banal it is.
Yeah, I mean, if someone else likes it, great. It just does nothing for me. Pretty big price tag for it, too.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Birthday Watch Search update #2:

Stopped by the 2nd not-so-local AD today during lunch and met with one of their SAs. Went through the whole rigmarole of "I'm looking for a SS Rolex No-Date Sub"...let him know that I understand they are tough to come by these days and that it was hopefully for a summer or fall 2022 purchase. I went into a few details about why I'm specifically interested in the 124060 (case adjustments from the previous maxi-case models, new movement, prefer the symmetry classic look of the no-date models). Let him know that overall I prefer sport watches to dress watches cause I'm typically pretty rough on my watches (showed him my GMT II Pepsi, ding ands and all), and that eventually I want to be able to leave one to each of my sons, etc.

The SA was nice and as helpful as he could be given the circumstance, and he noted that they were tough to come by these days, evidenced by the fact that they had zero men's models in the store despite being one main ADs in the region. But he was pretty interested in my GMT, so I talked about how I picked it up in the mid 00s and how the experience was so different than my current ordeal. The SA mentioned specifically that they get a lot of inquiries but I was doing things that would help
play in my favor (coming in early to meet with someone in person, understanding the market, showing that I know what I'm talking about, and showing how I have a connection/passion for this type of watch that indicates I'm going to hold onto it rather than flip it, etc.) He said, he obviously cant guarantee anything but that he's hopeful that things will work out within the rough timeline that I laid out.

This AD also carries JLC, so I took a look at the JLC MUT Moon as a potential back up option. I only like a handful of dress watch models, and this is one of the few in my price range. I like the moonphase complication (always wanted one of those!), the display case back, and the fact that its steel; not so nuts over the clasp (can't really see in the image but its a hybrid pin button and deployant clasp), but I guess that's a relatively minor issue...

IMG_1497.jpg

The 124060 is still a clear front runner, but I'll mull this option over for the next couple of months....

Other options still to view in person:
Patek 5022
Cartier Tank Louis
ALS Saxonia (if it can be had sub 15K)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads