• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of soap in the ocean...

Seriously though, I believe the running theory is that soap, along with steam, can deteriorate the seals, leaving the ocean an opening. Not sure how true it is, but similarly, if you are using your Sub in seawater regularly, you do need to be a good boy and at least get your watch pressure tested somewhat regularly. Those seals don't last forever, especially if they've been put to use.

I typically get mine pressure tested every year for a diver and every other year for the GMT. We have a pool and live near the ocean so I my watches have always seen a fair amount of water. The 100M test can be done while I wait and takes 10-15 min. The 300M requires that I leave it overnight. Most years, I'd just do the 100M test. If it passes I feel fine swimming with it. No hot tubs or showers for my watches either.

One year my GMTII didn't pass the pressure test. That's when I elected to send it in for service. I tend to wait until they aren't working properly (losing or gaining time) or they fail the pressure test before I send it in for service. It was year 8 of ownership for reference.

dan'l

Reaction score
I'm considering a new casual, daily wearer [beater?]. I have currently been alternating between a Speedy and a BB-58 in this capacity, but am looking for something with a bit more visual variety (read: not SS, not black dial...) that is more at home on a leather strap (I know the Speedy and BB are strap monsters, but during the colder months, I'd also like something that lies better under a cuff, that is not a diver...).

With this in mind, I was thinking about the IWC Spitfire bronze, with the green dial. Anybody have thoughts on this one? Or perhaps you have a better suggestion in that I might check out...?

Thanks!
I know you said not SS, but how about the Geophysic line from JLC? I like the True Second and it also comes in YG:

jlc-geophysic-both.jpg

I am a fan of simple-looking watches with a complication (e.g. tourbillon visible only on the back; minute repeater; etc.) and have always wanted a watch with deadbeat seconds (the second hand „jumps“ each second instead of sweeping). Although Grönefeld, FPJ and AL&S all offer watches with the „seconde morte“ complication, the JLC TS is the only one from a mainstream watch company for the moment (Rolex stopped making the Tru-Beat decades ago).

Anyways, you‘ll need to try it first. Although I liked the watch on paper, I found the case a bit too large and thick for my tastes, plus I prefer watches without date.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can soap really be that much more hazardous than salt water? I’m no scientist, but that doesn’t make much sense.
I may well be misremembering this, but I recall reading somewhere that it has to do with how soap breaks down water molecules (you can see this if you put a drop of soap on water with some surface tension, like a glass filled to the brim).

With a decent dive rating it's not something I'd worry too much about: for my first 2 decades or so of wearing my Sub (300 meters rating), I wore it nearly 24/7, including in the shower, with no issues.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good input here. Begs the question, though: if soap is that hazardous, how the hell is a Sub supposed to survive salt water at 300 meters?

Well, let's be honest most people aren't daily submerging their Submariners in salt water, but if one does wear it in salt water you are supposed to rinse it off with fresh water. Most watch companies don't say anything about using soap just fresh water. In addition, one of the bad things about showers is the watch going from say room temperature, or maybe your wrist temperature, to much hotter temperature very quickly (something Patek warns against). Also -who knows what chemicals are in various soaps people use and how they will react with a combination of heat and the gaskets.

This is directly from AP's website
"Before swimming, check that the crown and push-pieces are fully screwed down. Aside from crowns on our "Diver" models, crown and push-pieces should not be activated while submerged in water. After swimming in salt water, rinse the watch with fresh water."

A few words from Patek's website
  • protect your watch against extreme temperature fluctuations,
  • rinse the watch with tap water after each contact with salt water or chlorinated pool water.

Here is some insight into things that compromise water resistance according to VC's website.

"-Water-resistance joints are subject to natural aging and are altered by variations in temperature and contact with certain commonly used products (cosmetics, solvents), which modify their original characteristics.

-Antique watches designed to be water resistant, by virtue of their age, natural wear from being worn, and various successive polishes, may have permanently lost certain properties essential to guaranteeing water resistance. It is thus important to wear them accordingly. "

Edit, before posting this I noticed Rolex goes against most of this and says...you can use soapy water and showering will get salt water off your watch. I still wouldn't shower with it on, although as a novice watch owner, I used to do that. Over time you end up with a gross soap film build up in inside the clasp and its components (such as an extension link) or other small crevices in bracelets, or between lugs. In the end we can all do what we want with our watches...I just tend to err on the side of caution.

Here is what Rolex says-

You can help preserve its lustre by cleaning it occasionally with a microfibre cloth. You can also wash the case and bracelet from time to time using soapy water and a soft brush.

Water is the natural element for a Rolex with a metal bracelet, including the salt-water of the sea and ocean. All Rolex wristwatches are waterproof to depths of at least 100 metres for Oyster Perpetual models, and 50 metres for Cellini models. All you have to do after diving or a day at the beach is simply to rinse your watch with fresh water to remove any salt and sand deposits: wearing your watch while showering at the end of the day should do the trick.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
real soap is salt of a ***** acid most of what you see in grocery stores is detergent in bar form

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, I generally don't buy steel sport watches that I'd be afraid to take into the shower, swimming pool, or a hot tub. That's exactly why I sold my Zenith Daytona and 15202. I owned a no-date sub for years and still own an Explorer that I have literally dragged through hell.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, I generally don't buy steel sport watches that I'd be afraid to take into the shower, swimming pool, or a hot tub. That's exactly why I sold my Zenith Daytona and 15202. I owned a no-date sub for years and still own an Explorer that I have literally dragged through hell.

What were you doing in hell, and why bring a Rolex?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you said not SS, but how about the Geophysic line from JLC? I like the True Second and it also comes in YG:

jlc-geophysic-both.jpg

I am a fan of simple-looking watches with a complication (e.g. tourbillon visible only on the back; minute repeater; etc.) and have always wanted a watch with deadbeat seconds (the second hand „jumps“ each second instead of sweeping). Although Grönefeld, FPJ and AL&S all offer watches with the „seconde morte“ complication, the JLC TS is the only one from a mainstream watch company for the moment (Rolex stopped making the Tru-Beat decades ago).

Anyways, you‘ll need to try it first. Although I liked the watch on paper, I found the case a bit too large and thick for my tastes, plus I prefer watches without date.

These are beautiful (I also love the simple Master Control Date), but perhaps not quite rugged enough? I have a Datejust and a vintage Omega DeVille that I wear as quasi-dress watches. I'm looking for a more casual and rugged (tool) watch. I already have a diver and a chrono, so I was thinking pilot, but still open...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas......have a question for those who might know: my Submariner ref 114060 doesn’t seem to hold its power reserve for more than 24 hrs. I just bought it in August 2020 from Wempe NYC.

I’m not sure if this is an actual performance issue or something I’m doing/not doing but I could wear the watch all day and let it sit overnight for about 12 -14 hours and it will stop ticking.

If anyone can shed some light before I contact the AD/Rolex it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas......have a question for those who might know: my Submariner ref 114060 doesn’t seem to hold its power reserve for more than 24 hrs. I just bought it in August 2020 from Wempe NYC.

I’m not sure if this is an actual performance issue or something I’m doing/not doing but I could wear the watch all day and let it sit overnight for about 12 -14 hours and it will stop ticking.

If anyone can shed some light before I contact the AD/Rolex it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I’d contact the AD. Rolex says it should be around 70 hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics