• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After wearing my PAM1312 for most of the winter, broke out my Explorer as the temp warmed up this weekend
20210301_133356.jpg

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Nice choice. I happen to think the the Explorer is far and away the better choice than the OP, in no small part owing to the mercedes hand and lollipop seconds hand.

My only hesitation would be that there's too much overlap between the Explorer and your Sub. I have a no-date Sub, and I can't think of a single time when I would reach for the Explorer over it (even though I do love the Explorer)

Yes. You are right, I think/thought there was too much overlap between the Explorer and Sub. It is possible that having both is superfluous in the long run. But in the short term it seems that the Explorer wears more comfortably, while the Submariner is sporty and fun. The Sub is heavy and wearing it all day can be a little tiring (maybe I need to hit the gym more)...

I suspect if I am lucky enough and can continue to have these watch adventures things will change over time.

Thank you for the comments!

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
i was torn between the OP39 and explorer, i liked the simplicity of the OP dial but even at 39mm it sits noticeably taller than the explorer, not a good thing on my wrist. as you say, no substitute for trying things on, although that's not so easy in the era of AD drought
Do you think that the OP39 sits higher because the bezels are different between the OP and Explorer1?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DECISIONS ON A SECOND ROLEX
I went shopping this weekend (first time in a while since COVID last year). I had full intention of picking up a Rolex OP39, BUT instead I walked out with a Explorer 1 Mk2-dial.

I strongly prefer clean simple dials without any complications. Consequently, this preferences tends to filter-out many of the interesting and beautiful Rolex models like the GMT IIs, Yachtmasters, and DateJusts etc. Though I do have a 114060 Submariner that I was lucky enough to acquire from an AD. Interestingly, the Daytona is quite acceptable since the dial is symmetrical but of course that is a different story unless you are a baller like @George Red . On the other hand, the Oyster Perpetual line has always been intriguing to me, due to the simplicity of the watch. Consequently, that is what I set out to acquire.

My experience with luxury goods is established in the 'shoe world', where the fit of a shoe is one of the driving factors for a purchase. So, "trying before buying" is important. However, walking into a Rolex AD as a normal person these days is quite intimidating. The empty cases at the front of the AD are a sign that desirable models are sequestered for only the best of clients. This of course is indicative of the demand for Rolex time pieces but also possibly the decreased production due to COVID, all of which means trying on an OP 41 at an AD is not simple. Consequently, I made an appointment with a second hand dealer to try on discontinued OP 36s. 39s and the new OP41.

Below are my thoughts, where I don't hesitate to say that there is no substitute for trying on a watch and seeing them in person before making decisions. Even the pictures below can't fully show the subtle differences in fit.

Thoughts on the Rolex OP 41mm in Yellow on a 'circular shaped' 6.75-inch wrist.
NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT TAPER.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have tapered curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
View attachment 1565040

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has tapered lugs​
hard to see but below the smaller size of this Exp1 Mk1 dial is perfect for my wrist size.
View attachment 1565058
AND here is what I got. The reason I chose the Exp1 Mk2 dial over the OP39/41 is because seeing all of the watches together and trying them on became obvious that for me the Arabic numerals (3,6,9) with lume (Mk2 dial), the Mercedes hands, and the better clasp all come together and it 'sang'.
View attachment 1565044

If you made it this far thank you for reading this.

Congrats on a fantastic choice! I like your choice, and I would definitely choose an Explorer over the OP 39. I just like the details such as the Arabic numerals, the triangle marker at 12 and the Mercedes hands. Plus it has tremendous history and is a bit more understated than other sports models that have bigger bezels, so it works well with a suit or sport jacket. Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Congrats on a fantastic choice! I like your choice, and I would definitely choose an Explorer over the OP 39. I just like the details such as the Arabic numerals, the triangle marker at 12 and the Mercedes hands. Plus it has tremendous history and is a bit more understated than other sports models that have bigger bezels, so it works well with a suit or sport jacket. Congrats and enjoy it! :cheers:
Thank you!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DECISIONS ON A SECOND ROLEX
I went shopping this weekend (first time in a while since COVID last year). I had full intention of picking up a Rolex OP39, BUT instead I walked out with a Explorer 1 Mk2-dial.

I strongly prefer clean simple dials without any complications. Consequently, this preferences tends to filter-out many of the interesting and beautiful Rolex models like the GMT IIs, Yachtmasters, and DateJusts etc. Though I do have a 114060 Submariner that I was lucky enough to acquire from an AD. Interestingly, the Daytona is quite acceptable since the dial is symmetrical but of course that is a different story unless you are a baller like @George Red . On the other hand, the Oyster Perpetual line has always been intriguing to me, due to the simplicity of the watch. Consequently, that is what I set out to acquire.

My experience with luxury goods is established in the 'shoe world', where the fit of a shoe is one of the driving factors for a purchase. So, "trying before buying" is important. However, walking into a Rolex AD as a normal person these days is quite intimidating. The empty cases at the front of the AD are a sign that desirable models are sequestered for only the best of clients. This of course is indicative of the demand for Rolex time pieces but also possibly the decreased production due to COVID, all of which means trying on an OP 41 at an AD is not simple. Consequently, I made an appointment with a second hand dealer to try on discontinued OP 36s. 39s and the new OP41.

Below are my thoughts, where I don't hesitate to say that there is no substitute for trying on a watch and seeing them in person before making decisions. Even the pictures below can't fully show the subtle differences in fit.

Thoughts on the Rolex OP 41mm in Yellow on a 'circular shaped' 6.75-inch wrist.
NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT TAPER.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have tapered curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
View attachment 1565040

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has tapered lugs​
hard to see but below the smaller size of this Exp1 Mk1 dial is perfect for my wrist size.
View attachment 1565058
AND here is what I got. The reason I chose the Exp1 Mk2 dial over the OP39/41 is because seeing all of the watches together and trying them on became obvious that for me the Arabic numerals (3,6,9) with lume (Mk2 dial), the Mercedes hands, and the better clasp all come together and it 'sang'.
View attachment 1565044

If you made it this far thank you for reading this.

as customary for me, I skipped ahead to the pics. Nice pick up.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. You are right, I think/thought there was too much overlap between the Explorer and Sub. It is possible that having both is superfluous in the long run. But in the short term it seems that the Explorer wears more comfortably, while the Submariner is sporty and fun. The Sub is heavy and wearing it all day can be a little tiring (maybe I need to hit the gym more)...

I suspect if I am lucky enough and can continue to have these watch adventures things will change over time.

Thank you for the comments!

Also, some may disagree, but I say kudos to you for going grey market/second hand and getting what you want.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Also, some may disagree, but I say kudos to you for going grey market/second hand and getting what you want.

Thank you.

I think to be able to have all of the models sitting in front of you (current and discontinued) sometimes you have to investigate the secondary market. In general, I'm happy to buy from ADs when possible. They have always been polite and helpful. I'm still in the market for OPs and 'hoping to get the call'.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice choices all around. I do like the look of the OP 41s in several of the colours but until I can see one in person rather than pics on the internet I’ll keep my powder dry.
BTW - the lugs definitely do taper, both from front view and side view. I think what you mean is that they don’t curve (much) around your wrist. Also - even accepting my preference that I like the feel of a robust watch and feel weird when I take mine off, if you really are tired from wearing a watch I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for you. C’mon maaan!!

Anyway the explorer is a popular choice and pretty much unimpeachable so you made a good decision.

I was in Mayors in Boca Raton last week and the Rolex display cases were completely barren save for a few ladies’ dress watches. Pitiful!

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Nice choices all around. I do like the look of the OP 41s in several of the colours but until I can see one in person rather than pics on the internet I’ll keep my powder dry.
BTW - the lugs definitely do taper, both from front view and side view. I think what you mean is that they don’t curve (much) around your wrist. Also - even accepting my preference that I like the feel of a robust watch and feel weird when I take mine off, if you really are tired from wearing a watch I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for you. C’mon maaan!!

Anyway the explorer is a popular choice and pretty much unimpeachable so you made a good decision.

I was in Mayors in Boca Raton last week and the Rolex display cases were completely barren save for a few ladies’ dress watches. Pitiful!

Yes. You are right. I mean curved lugs. I edited my original post. Thank you.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads