• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panda spotted playing in the snow.
0B8FF26E-7047-405B-B121-20698E935EFC.jpeg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems to me that this is a super jaded way of looking at things. I ONLY buy watches that have a significance in life and usually this means they’re attached to emotions. I want part of that experience to be sitting in the AD chatting, the glass of champagne and the retail experience as a whole. I also find that With a little negotiation you can have all this at reasonable discount.

please don’t attach your own jaded perspective on to others. You don’t speak for everyone.

for background, I have a few, what you guys would likely call, entry level watches. Specifically longines, including my beloved master collection moonphase triple date, which was my first really significant purchase back when I was in my earlier 30’s.

but this year to celebrate my 40th I’m picking up my first JLC, and a reverso duoface at that. For me engaging with the dealer, doing the deal and going in to be treated well is part of the memory that attaches sentiment to the watch.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.
cool story bro.

How are you this emotional and calling me jaded? I never said I speak for everyone - how did you misinterpret so poorly? I merely conveyed something which actually happened - something factual - whereas you are speaking in the abstract about something still potentially happening in the future.

All I'm saying is that you may be let down if you are building up certain expectations which may not happen. It's cool to want what you are looking for from a "dealer experience" perspective but perhaps tame your expectations. Either way, would like to hear about your experience on the big day.........hopefully you will report back on how it goes.

Wempe treated me just fine and still do whenever I stop by. They are very professional and always offer refreshments. However, it's a transaction at its core - just like buying anything else. I didn't leave the showroom with butterflies in my stomach.

Great choice on the Reverso.........definitely one of my grails.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All black “Tribute to 3705”, only available on Mr Porter. £11,100.

View attachment 1564388

Looks sharp, I love the hands compared to IWC's current pilot's chronographs. Not sure about the black case.

I had a 3706 many years ago. I stupidly sold it in favor of the Sinn 356 FliegerChrono. At the time I thought I "needed" more WR. The IWC had 60M and the Sinn 100M. Looking back, it was silly but that was my thought process. I eventually sold the Sinn as I thought it a hair too small. Again in retrospect, it was a terrible decision. Assuming the above IWC is around 39mm, it's damn near perfect for my tastes today.

shrink1061

Reaction score
Many iwc’s sit on my grail list. The primary being the Portugesier Perpetual. Blue face, white gold, it stuns me every single time I see one. But at 44.2mm it’s just absolutely huge and will never go anywhere near my wrist. Sadly many IWC’s do this and as a result I’ll probably never own one.

it’s why I love JLC so much, even their chunky watches (like the old master compressor range) are somehow delicate and slim.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks sharp, I love the hands compared to IWC's current pilot's chronographs. Not sure about the black case.

I had a 3706 many years ago. I stupidly sold it in favor of the Sinn 356 FliegerChrono. At the time I thought I "needed" more WR. The IWC had 60M and the Sinn 100M. Looking back, it was silly but that was my thought process. I eventually sold the Sinn as I thought it a hair too small. Again in retrospect, it was a terrible decision. Assuming the above IWC is around 39mm, it's damn near perfect for my tastes today.
Sorry to hear that - the 3706 and the 3711 are some of the only chrono designs I really like (and the only one I like better than these is the Speedy pro).

And I prefer them in SS, so this new 3705 tribute isn't really for me, but I still think it was nice to see a new IWC, designed in the style from when they were worth considering.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a look at the new Speedy Pro. It really is a nice but I also came across a preowned CK2998 and have to say that I'm intrigued. I've purchased from this dealer before (Sea Dweller) but as I stated above my risk tolerance is lower now. On the other hand, we aren't talking Daytona gray prices and he's throwing in a Speedy bracelet and the OEM strap.

Checking prices at Chrono24, this one is priced competitively (no original box). I'm torn. I really like the panda dial and the size at 39-40mm vs the Pro's 42mm.

View attachment 1564272

I'm on the process of moving and have exclusively been wearing my First Omega in Space for a month or two now. I have to say that the size is just perfect. With regards to the CK2998 you should of course get whichever you prefer, but I much prefer the blue version to this one and that is what I would recommend. Sadly I never picked one up and prices are seemingly on the rise despite the production number.

All black “Tribute to 3705”, only available on Mr Porter. £11,100.

View attachment 1564388

It's 41mm while the original is 39mm.

The size looks like it would be an issue for me. The Week on the Wrist segment I saw on Hodinkee illustrates that to me, but of course experiencing it on your own wrist is the most telling. Apart from that the rest of the changes from the 3705 are understandable and I think acceptable. I also quite like the idea of Ceratanium. Still the size and actually the price would make it a pass for me. In fact the price coupled with the release at all have me further regretting not getting the Hodinkee x IWC release. More still I'm kicking myself for not getting a 3705 a few years back when I could for $8k.

In this photo it looks quite large on the wrist:

3S3A4225-copy.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 41mm while the original is 39mm.

That's too bad. 41mm isn't terrible but I'd prefer 39.

Sorry to hear that - the 3706 and the 3711 are some of the only chrono designs I really like (and the only one I like better than these is the Speedy pro).

And I prefer them in SS, so this new 3705 tribute isn't really for me, but I still think it was nice to see a new IWC, designed in the style from when they were worth considering.

Couldn't agree more. I always thought the 3711/3713 Doppel was perfect until I tried it on and couldn't fit well under a shirt cuff. Still a classic that I'd like to own. I started down the mechanical watch rabbit hole around the year 2000 when the 3713 was still available.

I'm on the process of moving and have exclusively been wearing my First Omega in Space for a month or two now. I have to say that the size is just perfect. With regards to the CK2998 you should of course get whichever you prefer, but I much prefer the blue version to this one and that is what I would recommend. Sadly I never picked one up and prices are seemingly on the rise despite the production number.

Good to know. I think the size is near perfect for me as well even though both of my current watches are larger. What's funny about the blue vs black is that I like characteristics of both and would love to combine the two. I prefer the Tachymeter scale on the blue version to the Pulsometer of the black version. And while I'd certainly not use either, the motorsport/driving connection appeals to me more than the BPM of the Pulsometer. I also like the lollipop second hand of the blue version.

With all that said, it's a black dial that I can get my hands on so I will likely go that route.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
DECISIONS ON A SECOND ROLEX
I went shopping this weekend (first time in a while since COVID last year). I had full intention of picking up a Rolex OP39, BUT instead I walked out with a Explorer 1 Mk2-dial.

I strongly prefer clean simple dials without any complications. Consequently, this preferences tends to filter-out many of the interesting and beautiful Rolex models like the GMT IIs, Yachtmasters, and DateJusts etc. Though I do have a 114060 Submariner that I was lucky enough to acquire from an AD. Interestingly, the Daytona is quite acceptable since the dial is symmetrical but of course that is a different story unless you are a baller like @George Red . On the other hand, the Oyster Perpetual line has always been intriguing to me, due to the simplicity of the watch. Consequently, that is what I set out to acquire.

My experience with luxury goods is established in the 'shoe world', where the fit of a shoe is one of the driving factors for a purchase. So, "trying before buying" is important. However, walking into a Rolex AD as a normal person these days is quite intimidating. The empty cases at the front of the AD are a sign that desirable models are sequestered for only the best of clients. This of course is indicative of the demand for Rolex time pieces but also possibly the decreased production due to COVID, all of which means trying on an OP 41 at an AD is not simple. Consequently, I made an appointment with a second hand dealer to try on discontinued OP 36s. 39s and the new OP41.

Below are my thoughts, where I don't hesitate to say that there is no substitute for trying on a watch and seeing them in person before making decisions. Even the pictures below can't fully show the subtle differences in fit.

Thoughts on the Rolex OP 41mm in Yellow on a 'circular shaped' 6.75-inch wrist.
NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT CURVE.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
20210226_130126.jpg

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has curved lugs​
hard to see but below the smaller size of this Exp1 Mk1 dial is perfect for my wrist size.
20210226_130701.jpg

AND here is what I got. The reason I chose the Exp1 Mk2 dial over the OP39/41 is because seeing all of the watches together and trying them on became obvious that for me the Arabic numerals (3,6,9) with lume (Mk2 dial), the Mercedes hands, and the better clasp all come together and it 'sang'.
20210301_092518.jpg

If you made it this far thank you for reading this.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went shopping this weekend (first time in a while since COVID last year). I had full intention of picking up a Rolex OP39, BUT instead I walked out with a Explorer 1 Mk2-dial.

I strongly prefer clean simple dials without any complications. Consequently, this preferences tends to filter-out many of the interesting and beautiful Rolex models like the GMT IIs, Yachtmasters, and DateJusts etc. Though I do have a 114060 Submariner that I was lucky enough to acquire from an AD. Interestingly, the Daytona is quite acceptable since the dial is symmetrical but of course that is a different story unless you are a baller like @George Red . On the other hand, the Oyster Perpetual line has always been intriguing to me, due to the simplicity of the watch. Consequently, that is what I set out to acquire.

My experience with luxury goods is established in the 'shoe world', where the fit of a shoe is one of the driving factors for a purchase. So, "trying before buying" is important. However, walking into a Rolex AD as a normal person these days is quite intimidating. The empty cases at the front of the AD are a sign that desirable models are sequestered for only the best of clients. This of course is indicative of the demand for Rolex time pieces but also possibly the decreased production due to COVID, all of which means trying on an OP 41 at an AD is not simple. Consequently, I made an appointment with a second hand dealer to try on discontinued OP 36s. 39s and the new OP41.

Below are my thoughts, where I don't hesitate to say that there is no substitute for trying on a watch and seeing them in person before making decisions. Even the pictures below can't fully show the subtle differences in fit.

NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT TAPER.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have tapered curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
View attachment 1565040

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has tapered lugs​
hard to see but below the smaller size of this Exp1 Mk1 dial is perfect for my wrist size.
View attachment 1565058
AND here is what I got. The reason I chose the Exp1 Mk2 dial over the OP39/41 is because seeing all of the watches together and trying them on became obvious that for me the Arabic numerals (3,6,9) with lume (Mk2 dial), the Mercedes hands, and the better clasp all come together and it 'sang'.
View attachment 1565044

Nice choice. I happen to think the the Explorer is far and away the better choice than the OP, in no small part owing to the mercedes hand and lollipop seconds hand.

My only hesitation would be that there's too much overlap between the Explorer and your Sub. I have a no-date Sub, and I can't think of a single time when I would reach for the Explorer over it (even though I do love the Explorer)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT TAPER.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have tapered curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
View attachment 1565040

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has tapered lugs​
View attachment 1565058
View attachment 1565044

Fantastic choice. You’ll enjoy it for as long as you live or care to keep it. It’s such a perfect all-around beater. Mine (which I beat the **** out of) says hi:
11E20C03-B4D5-4B25-A3D0-254A58D0AD18.jpeg

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was torn between the OP39 and explorer, i liked the simplicity of the OP dial but even at 39mm it sits noticeably taller than the explorer, not a good thing on my wrist. as you say, no substitute for trying things on, although that's not so easy in the era of AD drought

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads