• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the shell strap ages.

shrink1061

Reaction score
There is no allure because there really is no allure - not because I said so. I'm just relaying the news. I did not quiz the SA about their watch knowledge so I cannot relate to your approach. And you ain't gonna buy a tourbillon anytime soon.........or are you?

I know you are new to this hobby, but over time you will remove emotion from your actions and you will get the watch you want without getting all in your feelings about it.

In short, if an SA's lack of knowledge prevents you from getting your desired watch then I would agree with you about having enough product knowledge to make a difference to the buyer. But can you even find an example of this??

seems to me that this is a super jaded way of looking at things. I ONLY buy watches that have a significance in life and usually this means they’re attached to emotions. I want part of that experience to be sitting in the AD chatting, the glass of champagne and the retail experience as a whole. I also find that With a little negotiation you can have all this at reasonable discount.

please don’t attach your own jaded perspective on to others. You don’t speak for everyone.

for background, I have a few, what you guys would likely call, entry level watches. Specifically longines, including my beloved master collection moonphase triple date, which was my first really significant purchase back when I was in my earlier 30’s.

but this year to celebrate my 40th I’m picking up my first JLC, and a reverso duoface at that. For me engaging with the dealer, doing the deal and going in to be treated well is part of the memory that attaches sentiment to the watch.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all attach a different significance to the specifics of the retail experience. Some of us appreciate the ass kissing that goes along with it and some don’t.

Personally, I like the in person, one on one experience. This is particularly true if I’m trying to cultivate a relationship with an SA, regardless of whether it’s clothing or a watch, so that he/she better understands my tastes and what I’m looking for. As for the Champagne or whiskey, meh.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my IG was ******* hacked last night. I have a new one. If interested, please follow me there (unless you’re allergic to diabolically cool content): @watch_your_style_bro

Thank you. ??

ronscuba

Reaction score
We all attach a different significance to the specifics of the retail experience. Some of us appreciate the ass kissing that goes along with it and some don’t.

Personally, I like the in person, one on one experience. This is particularly true if I’m trying to cultivate a relationship with an SA, regardless of whether it’s clothing or a watch, so that he/she better understands my tastes and what I’m looking for. As for the Champagne or whiskey, meh.
Shopping with my wife has made me appreciate it. We might be in a place for an hour or more trying on multiple items. Comfortable seating, privacy, beverages and good conversation goes a long way.

The cost of buying myself a watch is 2x to cover buying her item(s) of equal value.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This isn't really directed at you or George, but I would say the choice in speedy strap is largely a reflection of the wearer's preferences. I suppose that's not unique to the Speedy but it seems especially versatile with very little that is right or wrong in an absolute sense. I don't like the look of the stock bracelet (I tend to think any bracelet with whatever you called the polished link edges on the Speedy and the GS's posted recently to be fussy) so I've only worn mine on straps. I might consider putting my Speedy on a bracelet if it was fully brushed either in an oyster style or with the new link shapes, but I don't like busy bracelets like they've used the last few decades.

I've had mine on perlon (typically black) lately which I think suits it well but isn't for everyone. I wouldn't wear it on a lighter colored leather strap but I can see why other's might enjoy that look.

[not my picture]

c3ea3c116e8510d04ac881dbce53a5ed.jpg

fair points, i like that strap would love to see it in black on the speedy instead of grey.
Is omega overrated?
is rolex overrated?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is omega overrated?

No. In many ways, the watches are technically superior to their closest Rolex counterparts while costing a couple thousand less and being readily available.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Offered to me by my AD. Cop or drop? Unsure...
View attachment 1563309

Overall, I like it, except for the date window at 6 cutting into the 24 hour indicator. It's just that aesthetically it bothers me. I have a chronograph that I love...but the date cuts into a subdial and it annoys me. To my eye it is the one flaw in the design of the chronograph I have or the Patek you are trying on. However, the 24 hour indicator isn't that necessary so if the date cuts into it it's maybe not that big of a deal. If it makes you smile go for it!

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a look at the new Speedy Pro. It really is a nice but I also came across a preowned CK2998 and have to say that I'm intrigued. I've purchased from this dealer before (Sea Dweller) but as I stated above my risk tolerance is lower now. On the other hand, we aren't talking Daytona gray prices and he's throwing in a Speedy bracelet and the OEM strap.

Checking prices at Chrono24, this one is priced competitively (no original box). I'm torn. I really like the panda dial and the size at 39-40mm vs the Pro's 42mm.

Omega_Speedmaster_CK_2998_LE_FI.jpg

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a look at the new Speedy Pro. It really is a nice but I also came across a preowned CK2998 and have to say that I'm intrigued. I've purchased from this dealer before but as I stated above my risk tolerance is lower now. On the other hand, we aren't talking Daytona gray prices and he's throwing in a Speedy bracelet and the OEM strap.

Checking prices at Chrono24, this one is priced competitively (no original box). I'm torn. I really like the panda dial and the size at 39-40mm vs the Pro's 42mm.

View attachment 1564272

I love that one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads